mtbr member

detroit area trails??

Search function..I know. Dial up for the next week. What are some decent trails within an hourt drive? Is there anything that resembles a dh style run in the area ?
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS

mtbr member
    Sorry...nothing that's going to resemble a downhill run but if it's climbing and decending you want...Pontiac Lake has some nice stuff as does Proud Lake (not marked so well). Stoney Creek has some real fun stuff too that they call the roller coasters. If you go to mmba.org and use the trail guide, you can put in your zip code and it will tell you all the trails around you.

The more popular trails in the area tend to be Maybury, Lakeshore Park (aka Novi Tree Farm), Pontiac Lake and Stoney Creek. If you're looking for some longer distance stuff...the 14-17 miles of Potowatomi can't be beat....excellent trail that I wish was closer to me.....

If you want to do some urban riding, the beatthetrainindetroit.com ride that starts at historic Fort Wayne at 6:30am on Saturdays can't be beat either....30 miles of urban riding exploring downtown and hitting Belle Isle....good time with a Mexican Buffet breakfast towards the end in Mexicantown.

Justin
    Ventana Pantera (FS)
    Redline Monocag (SS)
    LeMond Poprad (Cross)
    Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

www.teamtreefarm.com

mtbr member
    Try going here - http://mmba.org/trails.php

Should help you find more than a few trails in the area.

mtbr member
    Biggest hills are at Pontiac as far as I know. Further out is Potowatami. I hear that is a real challenge.

Lakeshore is one of the most technical with lots of turns and quick up/downs. I love Lakeshore, but its a city park with a $5 entrance fee during normal hours. Free if you can find somewhere else to park.

Island Lake is a good run for training. Yellow course is more technical, blue course is longer but less technical.

Maybury is like a small pontiac with lots of rocks but the up/downs are smaller. Still they are there.

I don't know where you would get a DH style run around here. Our soil tends to wash away in MI, so you need lots of turns to keep things intact.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Man, I love riding in Michigan! Pontiac Lake is great, although I haven't ridden there in about 15 years! :-(