Thread: Copper Harbor

Big Up... Chump
    May 2006

Copper Harbor

How about a conversation about Copper Harbor, as I'm interested in a visit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ZapGap165 View Post
    Where do you live?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by ZapGap165 View Post
    ProTip: Don't go this time of year

Kidding . . . sorta. I've been to Copper Harbor so many times in every season of the year but sadly have never brought a bike. Its a really nice place in the winter for winter sports, but its a GREAT place in the summer and fall. I've heard good things about the riding up there and that its getting better and better. Camping at Fort Wilkins is also great . . . but it can get cold. I took my wife there in late July and it was 38 degrees at night

I plan to ride in the Fat Tire Festival (over Labor Day weekend) one of these years.

Its also worth it to check out Isle Royale if you are going to make the effort to go up there. A nice 10 day vacation (for the outdoorsy type) would be a few days in CH and a few days on the island.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    I learned to ride a mountain bike while attending Michigan Tech, which is about an hour south of copper harbor. I contend that it is one of the best trail networks in the state and probably In the Midwest. It's also close the Michigan Tech trails and the Marquette area trails. I plan on taking a summer road trip to hit all three this coming summer. Since I lived on the Keewenaw for 4 years here's a few thoughts:

- I've seen snow fly up there in every month except August, so take clothes for a good range of weather.

- black flies and mosquito can be vicious in the spring and early summer. The best time to go is July through early September.

- be ready for hills.

- be able to self support. I got a quick introduction to single speed riding when I ripped off a deraileur. Was pretty lucky that a buddy had a chain tool. So, take tools, spare tubes, and plenty of food and water. You can get a long way from civilization up there.

- carry cash. Not every place takes credit cards.

- find the Jam Pot. I don't remember which highway it is on, but the monks make some amazing bakery treats and jams

Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    We are doing a trip up there from July 20th to the 30th. Not sure if I want to camp or get a cottage.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeFarmer View Post
    find the Jam Pot. I don't remember which highway it is on, but the monks make some amazing bakery treats and jams
    Highway 41!

Holy crap, I forgot ALL about the Monks!!! YES they make amazing stuff. Try the Thimbleberry jam . . . .

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Highway 41!

Holy crap, I forgot ALL about the Monks!!! YES they make amazing stuff. Try the Thimbleberry jam . . . .
    The Jampot is off of Hwy 26 west of Eagle Harbor, next to Jacob's Falls.
    Last edited by Turgor; 12-06-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: clarification

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Turgor View Post
    The Jampot is off of Hwy 26 west of Eagle Harbor, next to Jacob's Falls.
    Yup, you are right . . .

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    We are doing a trip up there from July 20th to the 30th. Not sure if I want to camp or get a cottage.
    Get a cottage at the Pines. Very friendly folks and your right next to the trailhead. I agree with the others opinions about CH. My wife and I have been travelling up there for about 5 yrs and doing the Fat Tire festival. We originally went on a whim because I'd read good things about the riding. I'll never forget that first year, great riding and very friendly racers at the after party. We still go there at least once a year to ride for 3 or 4 days and travel back for the festival. The riding is absolutely amazing and I've never ridden anywhere that was more fun!! One of these years I've got to stop and ride some of the other areas on the way into copper Harbor. Can't wait to go back this summer.

Jason

mtbr member
    As others have said go prepared. I'm a yooper, (from Marquette) so I go prepared everywhere, it's habit. I show up to races with my big Osprey raptor pack filled to the hilt with spare tools, provisions ect. Other racers are always poking fun at my over sized pack, but I say "Trust me, I bike in the UP, you never know what's going to happen"

Between the weather, the insects, mechanical failures and and large areas of NOTHING but woods, you best go prepared, especially if you get lost. Snow and cold can happen out of the blue, so I usually ride with provisions for a makeshift shelter, some food, LOTS of water and an extra layer or two.

I was in Copper Harbor 4 times this year for rides. One day I was riding it was 78 degrees and sunny, the next day it was 40 degrees and raining with gusty winds out of the west. Literally changed in the span of 2 hours. This was during a race up there, and when most people laughed at my pack, I busted out my extra layer, and wasn't freezing to death like some others. haha

However, just because the climate isn't always the most forgiving should not deter you from what I believe is the best trail in the midwest. It's an absolute hoot if you have your bike. All the trails are really well kept up, fun to ride and some are really a challenge. The Red Trail is pretty tricky, along with Paul's plunge. Mango and the Flow are also a lot of fun. Well, all of it's fun. Do yourself a favor and go. You won't regret it.

As someone else said, the Jam Pot is on m26 just before Eagle River.

As for Marquette being close, it's relative. It's a solid 3.5 hour drive to get to the tip of the peninsula from Marquette. That's close if you live in the UP, but if you're from somewhere else, that probably seems like a helluva trek. I'd advise you try both. I have not done the tech trails in Houghton yet, (1 hour south of CH) but I have heard good things. Thinking about trying them here next summer.

Bottom line: GO!!!! Hell, I like CH so much, I went there as a Birthday present to myself, and my brother (we have the same b-day) We just went to bike! It was one of the best b-day gifts I've ever had!
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    here, I'll even include photographic reasons to go:

-Eric

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    Well, that makes me miss the copper country.....

No, Marquette isn't "close" by most standards, but if its on the way during an extended trip, I'd probably stop for a day.
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

b a n n e d
    This section of trail was just on the cover of IMBA's monthly mag!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the input guys. Booking travel arrangements soon.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeFarmer View Post
    Well, that makes me miss the copper country.....

No, Marquette isn't "close" by most standards, but if its on the way during an extended trip, I'd probably stop for a day.
    True. Most folks travel through Marquette to get there, and I'd rate MQT trails a close 2nd or 3rd behind the harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    This section of trail was just on the cover of IMBA's monthly mag!
    Darn, too bad I wasn't on it!!! The Flow is F*cking fun!!

But I would want a re-do, my tongue is sticking out weird like Michael jordan's. Seem's like every pic taken of me biking I have the same "Derp" face
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Keeweenaw Adventure Co. in "downtown" Copper Harbor has shuttle service to the top of Brockway Mountain as well as to the Keeweenaw Lodge if you're not big into repeatedly riding up the mountain every time just to have 15 minutes of downhill fun.

Link:
    Keweenaw Adventure Company in Copper Harbor, Michigan 906-289-4303

The price is reasonable for a day pass but I think they require 4 riders minimum to make it worth their while? Read up on the link and it will explain it.

If you like crowds on the trails, go during Labor Day weekend when they have the Fat TIre Festival and you're sure to run into the diehards riding up the nice downhill runs

I'd like to go up sometime in October when the leaves are changing colors. That pic above appears to be from Brockway Mountain and it's an awe inspiring view, even more so when there is color.

If you are into steep, ungroomed, powdery downhill skiing/snowboarding, check out Mt. Bohemia which is ~20 minutes south of Copper Harbor.

Link:
    Mount Bohemia - Extreme Skiing - Upper Peninsula of Michigan

mtbr member
    Of course it's Brockway mtn.

The sunset's up there are SO amazing. I'd suggest you go up for one of those.
    -Eric

b a n n e d
    Of course it's Brockway mtn.

The sunset's up there are SO amazing. I'd suggest you go up for one of those.
    When I was a little kid, I called it Broccoli mountain

mtbr member
    hahaha!

If you get to Marquette, Mt. Mesnard has a pretty cool view too....

These are taken on a trail that yes, you can bike up to! Of course the bridges trail back down is a lot more fun...

-Eric

b a n n e d
    Man, I miss the U.P. . . . I spent SO much time up there as kid (basically every summer at granny's house in Aura). I miss Pasty's too!!!

mtbr member
    I love it too, it's a shame its impossible to get a decent job up here, so I'm going to have to leave here soon.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I often go up to Ironwood because my wife has family up there. I always wish I could take an extra trip up to CH but have not yet. If anyone from the Ann Arbor area wants to plan a trip up for a few days let me know. My wife wont bike it so I'm on my own or find some other guys who want to ride. I usualy go up in the winter to snowboard at Big Powderhorn or Indianhead and once in the summer to just ride around Ironwood. The trails around Ironwood are not that good so next year I will make it a point to get up to CH.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
    I often go up to Ironwood because my wife has family up there. I always wish I could take an extra trip up to CH but have not yet. If anyone from the Ann Arbor area wants to plan a trip up for a few days let me know. My wife wont bike it so I'm on my own or find some other guys who want to ride. I usualy go up in the winter to snowboard at Big Powderhorn or Indianhead and once in the summer to just ride around Ironwood. The trails around Ironwood are not that good so next year I will make it a point to get up to CH.
    Mojo I'm in Plymouth and always looking for people to ride with. I'm trying to get a trip put on the calendar for end of July. Your more than welcome to join. I'm on the fence between camping or roughing it in a hotel.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    I'm just in Marquette. If anyone on here makes a group trip up, I'm more than down to spend $20 in gas for the day and head up to CH to ride. Totally worth it.
    -Eric