mtbr member

Comming to Iceman, Advice?

After 20+ years of wanting to do Icemen this year I'm in and wondering, comming from Colorado what advice you Michiganders' have about this event. I'll be in the 160+rider, cat1 40-45. I expect chaos at the start followed by a lot of passing and fast, fun trails. Anything else to consider?

Black Sheep rising
    From what I understand, the Start will be in downtown Kalkaska and will have a 1-1.5 mile paved ride to the trails. This will allow for some "stringing-out" before you actually go off-road.

Other than that, prepare for sand, and bring the right tires.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Try mmba.org/forum for more local advice. This is the michigan mtn biking assoc's website and message board.

mtbr member
    Thanks

N+1

clothes

bring all types of clothes - from shorts to winter gloves, you just never know what to expect but it's typically in the 20's/30's at race start. But you have the right idea - it'll start fast and stay that way. The trail conditions are extremely sandy right now, especially early-on, but if we get some rain and cold nights, it'll firm up and be fast like in the past couple years.
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganClydesdale
    if we get some rain......
    Ha! You're kidding right?.....The question is "will it ever stop raining"

mtbr member
    I'll second the clothing post. I have done five Icemans and one was cold with snow. Don't get too worked up about it, have a fun time. If you can ride a packed trail with lots of riders in front and behind, you'll be fine. LOL. Usually after eight or so miles things space out nicely. Have fun.
    What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    First 17 miles is pretty rolling with just a couple decent climbs. 3 sections of single track in the first 17 miles and 2 sections of single on the final 10. The last 6 miles have the bigger hills. I ride single and have to walk some of the hills. Lot's of people so you will need to choose you lines carefully as there is some sand and passing people can seem like a good idea until you are buried in sand. Rode the course today and it is in great shape - the sand seemed much less than last year and should be quite manageable. Have a great time

LCW
    mtbr member
    Thinking of doing the Iceman next year... But I might go up to spectate this year... Is there a good "spot" to spectate? Like a big steep climb where the riders go slowly and spectators can cheer them on? Kinda like that one section shown in the Leadville movie "Race Across the Sky" ?

cheers
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I would try the hills by the finish. You may have to walk in a bit but you will have the best hillls to watch for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    yes, the area by Timber Ridge in Traverse City is probably the best place to see the bikers on the hills. Looks like sunny and warm this Saturday. I'll be doing my first Iceman. Should be fun for all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Your best bet is the Williamsburg Rd. crossing. Pretty much described what you are looking for.... check out the link below, that is Williamsburg Rd.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hayspho...hy/3026900033/

Enjoy!
    2015 Specialized Fat Boy
    2015 Giant Advanced Defy 2
    2011 Niner EMD