mtbr member

Coming to MI in july!

Hi all! I am going to be trekking around MO, KS, IL,MI,WI and MN for work in the month of July-so I am bringing my MTB to do some riding when I get a break. I am the tour manager for a Freestyle Motocross entertainment company so I can get you and your kids etc access to the riders and some free Monster Energy if the reps bring it to return the favor!

I searched some of the areas where I will be, and most of the info is a couple years old. What I am looking for is any good info on closures, shops/resources that I can pop into for maps, guides. parts etc. I am also welcoming anyone that wants to come ride along and show me thier trails! My schedule is hectic and ride time is gonna be last minute mostly. I will ride with any skill level. I am highly skilled, medium fitness, like to suffer, like to ride slow too, and ride a 5 inch travel bike-like I said anyone is welcome- I don't mind stopping to wait for others, but on the other hand, when riding with fitter riders, hate to be the one holding you up!

**One thing I want to know for sure is what is the ettiquette when it rains. Living in Phoenix,AZ,we don't have to deal with it, and I sure want to be doing the right thing in your neck of the woods!

My schedule:
    Jul 1-2 Osage Bch, MO at the Walmart
    Jul 3 Lebanon, MO at the speedway
    Jul 5 Ft. Leonard Wood, MO on base
    Jul 8 Wichita, KS somewhere at a Walmart
    Jul 11-13 Couple stops in and around Chicago, IL
    Jul 14 Columbus Ohio at the Motorspeedway so of town
    Jul 18-21 Indian River, MI at the Summerfest
    Jul 24-25 Lake Delton, Wi at the adult resort I hope, but probably a Walmart!
    Jul 27 Shakopee, MN Raceway Park
    Jul 28-29 Minneapolis,MN at two of the Mills Fleet and Farm TBD
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

I'd rather be on my bike
    What types of trails do you want to ride?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    What types of trails do you want to ride?
    This would be good to know also what distances do you like to ride?

From July 18-21 you will have some of the best trail options on your trip.

You have Boyne Highlands that has some great singletrack and also a nice downhill course. You have the North Country Trail that has well over 100 Miles in that area with many sections to pick from. Then there is also the Wildwood Pathway, High Country Pathway, Boyne Mountain, Avalanche Mountain and Hanson Hills all within a 45 minute drive.

My personal favorites would be Boyne Highlands and the North Country Trail between Kipp and Stutsmanville (N/W Petoskey area). Both have lots of climbing and very fun downhill singletracks.

let me know when you get close with some times and maybe we can connect or at least give you suggestions.
    Are you a road biker that likes hills? Try this Michigan Mountain Mayhem.

mtbr member
    I really like swoopy fast ST and some tech stuff too. Distance is subjective- I can go a hard hour and a half with about 1500 foot of vertical gain in 100 degree F temp- so to be honest, not sure how long in the humidity thats out there! LOL-

I figure a good 12-20 most anywhere. Time is a factor too. Some days I will only have like four hours total including get to ride, ride, get back and work.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    I really like swoopy fast ST and some tech stuff too. Distance is subjective- I can go a hard hour and a half with about 1500 foot of vertical gain in 100 degree F temp- so to be honest, not sure how long in the humidity thats out there! LOL-

I figure a good 12-20 most anywhere. Time is a factor too. Some days I will only have like four hours total including get to ride, ride, get back and work.
    That is exactly what I like you definatly want either the North Country Trail (NCT) starting at Kipp or Boyne Highlands.

Here is the NCT from Kipp to Van, 32 miles out and back but most turn around at Stutsmanville rd. The final downhill at the end is always a blast.

Here is the Boyne Highlands single track. Easy to get turned around out there but great trails.

Feel free to download the trail if you have a Garmin or send an email if you want someone to ride with.
    Are you a road biker that likes hills? Try this Michigan Mountain Mayhem.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=cstem;9434995]

My schedule:
    Jul 18-21 Indian River, MI at the Summerfest
    Jul 24-25 Lake Delton, Wi at the adult resort I hope, but probably a Walmart![QUOTE]

While you're in Indian River, I would head over to Boyne for a taste of MI downhill like somebody else had said. Heading from there to WI, the quickest route will be through the UP. I'd try to take a detour to Copper Harbor for some fast, flowy single track.

Being a MI native that lives in AZ, the humidity kind of kills me when I go back. It's not FL quality, more like that week that we get before the monsoons start dumping rain on us here in AZ.

Michigan Mountain Biking Association might be a helpful website for you...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Peddling Extraordinaire
    Apr 2012
    You'll have fun in Indian River! Very fun area for biking and what ever else you have time for.
    WI dells the next week? I've never ridden the Dells, but Jogged during our stays at a few parks. There are a lot of nice parks, and I've heard of a down hill coarse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phishook View Post
    You'll have fun in Indian River! Very fun area for biking and what ever else you have time for.
    WI dells the next week? I've never ridden the Dells, but Jogged during our stays at a few parks. There are a lot of nice parks, and I've heard of a down hill coarse.

You know- it was getting debated whether to bring the MTB due to space, or the roadie due to time or the BMX since I can shred any parking lot we decide to sleep in (truck stops have some awesome stuff to play on!) but you said down hill near the Dells, and MTB it is even if I have to completely disassemble and carry it on my back!