mtbr member

Charlevoix Area Trails

On my way for the month of August, to escape the heat of Texas, any recommendations that are within an hour. We will actually be South of Charlevoix. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    mmba.org will be a great reference for you. I love Charlevoix. I'm in Denver now, but the family still has a home up there. Great way to spend the summer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanz440
    mmba.org will be a great reference for you. I love Charlevoix. I'm in Denver now, but the family still has a home up there. Great way to spend the summer
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    there are plenty of offerings in this area, if you head north you can get Boyne highlands, great sections of the north country trail, and wilderness state park, if you head east to boyne city you get a great little loop called avalanche mountain, a little farther east you get Boyne Mountain which is hours of fun lung busting riding. South toward Traverse City you have the Vasa I am not that familiar with this. When you get here look me up or my buddies shop in Boyne city called No Boundaries his name is Bob or you can talk to Ben at the shop too. My name is Trevor by the way

mtbr member
    Vasa singletrack is a great trail. There is the Vasa Pathway which is mostly for x-country skiing but you can still take the mtn bike on these trails. A bit further south is the Big-M and North Country Trail which could make a nice weekend trip. I would check out all above mentioned trails if you can.
    also http://mmba.org/ for trail info and updates
    Looking at the cake is like looking at the future, until you have tasted it what do you really know? and then its too late.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys for all the help, looking forward to it.

They call me Shoogs
    Not to hi-jack auto's thread...
    I'll be in the same neck of the woods this Wed to Tue and this info was fantastic.

Any early AM group rides in the area?

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    I vacation in the area and I know that North Country Cycle sport in Boyne City has a Sat morning ride at 8 or 9. From what I know it's usually Avalanche. They have an evening ride on Thursdays that rotates locations. I've only ridden with them once so I'm not sure on anyof it.

Call Revolotion Bicycles in Charlevoix they can help as well.

MMBA is the gold source for Michigan.

Granny Gear Guru
    I grew up riding in Northern Michigan and just came to say +1 on Vasa...
    10 Specialized Hardrock
    Looking for a new bike...... selling one?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just rode Boyne mountain on the resort property and had a ball. It was not too technical but very hilly, twisty, and in some areas you get that 'up north'/isolated wilderness sensation because there I saw only one other group of riders the whole time, and it was at the trailhead.
    FTR it is only about 8 miles give or take a mile depending on if you take the blue or the red pathway.

mtbr member
    Good-Bye 105 degree heat, hello 75, leaving on Friday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Here's a link to a few more options in Northern Michigan. Check out Arcadia Dunes just south of Elberta on M22 - rollercoaster-like, tight singletrack.

http://mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91123

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanz440
    I live in Denver as well, and just got back from Charlevoix (Venetion Week!). My wife grew up in Charlevoix and we love getting back there once a year. I am taking my bike next year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I live 5mi south of Chx and there is some riding available right along Lake Michigan on State land. The trail goes North from Lake St. in Norwood and Lake Shore Drive. There is 2.5mi of two track and 2.5mi of single track. There's a small creek you have to walk your bike across at the end of the single track, but it's still the best option close to Chx. I do a out and back a couple times a weeks. I'd be happy to show you the way. Just send me a PM.

The other trails as people have noted:

Avalanche - Boyne City (there is a small group ride Saturday mornings. Leave from North Country Cycle @ 8:30am)

Boyne Mountain - Park at the tennis courts.

Boyne Highlands - Turn North off M119 to Emmet Heights. Go to the dead end and there's a parking lot 1/4 mi down Warrwick on the Right. This trail is a little tricky to navigate, but it's a great ride.

Vasa Single Track. North of Traverse City on Supply road.

These are all great trails. If you have the time, try to ride them all during your stay.

All these trails are within 45 minutes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rustysprocket
    I live 5mi south of Chx and there is some riding available right along Lake Michigan on State land. The trail goes North from Lake St. in Norwood and Lake Shore Drive. There is 2.5mi of two track and 2.5mi of single track. There's a small creek you have to walk your bike across at the end of the single track, but it's still the best option close to Chx. I do a out and back a couple times a weeks. I'd be happy to show you the way. Just send me a PM.

The other trails as people have noted:

Avalanche - Boyne City (there is a small group ride Saturday mornings. Leave from North Country Cycle @ 8:30am)

Boyne Mountain - Park at the tennis courts.

Boyne Highlands - Turn North off M119 to Emmet Heights. Go to the dead end and there's a parking lot 1/4 mi down Warrwick on the Right. This trail is a little tricky to navigate, but it's a great ride.

Vasa Single Track. North of Traverse City on Supply road.

These are all great trails. If you have the time, try to ride them all during your stay.

All these trails are within 45 minutes.
    Thanks. It is amazing how much further/faster you can ride when the heat is not sucking the life out of you.

Rode Vasa yesterday, it is a great trail with perfected markings, leaving you no doubt you are on the right track. I am leaving the place we are staying (Gennet RD) and trying find the track off of LSD, I have been down that way in a jeep long ago. I will shoot you a PM after the LSD and State Park ride.