mtbr member

CH Fat Tire review?

We spent the weekend up at Copper H volunteering, riding and having a grand time in general. Looks like they had over 400 participants this year. We only got one photo which was taken in camp (boring). We seen tons of folks out riding those trails the day before and at Swedetown trails where we stopped at on Sunday for a casual ride on our way back. Seems Chicago metro was a popular location to be from. I chatted with a gal from Toronto CA and I heard someone was there from Chile. If anyone cares to give review of the riding, race or their weekend, please do.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My body still feels like I got run over by something large. With all the riding we've done in CH I always assumed at some point I'd take a digger. Of course it was during the race going full tilt down the Red trail. My left leg looks like a large cheese grater was run over it. I do love heading up there to race and to ride, great organization and a very friendly atmosphere. Definitely the hardest race I do all year, and this year it was stepped up a notch. We'll be back next year.

Jason

Down South Yooper
    I'm still not sure what to think of the course this year. The road climb seemed like a good idea to spread out the field, but it didn't work, nose-tail all the way down flow. Lots of two-track compared to previous years, apparently near or adjacent to singletrack, probably due to traffic reasons, maybe they needed a couple spots to make passes?

Overall, it's a fun event and the after party is worth the price of admission.

The red trail at the end is getting to be the last holdout from years previous and has lived a long, hard life. I wonder how long that trail will remain in the race. Also, it seemed that some of the cross-country type trails worked better to spread people out on the course. There were still bottle necks going down sometimes, but not as bad as this year it seems.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Plum,

We're not part of the team who puts this together but I'll try answering some of your questions.

>>I'm still not sure what to think of the course this year. The road climb seemed like a good idea to spread out the field, but it didn't work, nose-tail all the way down flow. Lots of two-track compared to previous years, apparently near or adjacent to singletrack, probably due to traffic reasons, maybe they needed a couple spots to make passes? <<

You are correct that they add double-track and the hill leaving town to separate the crowds and allow for passing. Brockway Mountain Drive is a larger climb than the old route, which was Lake Manganese rd. Strangely it does appear that the pack did not get very divided by the longer, harder climb. We also heard that people were “attempted” to pass while on The Flow by cutting off a switchback. It didn’t work because he crashed & burned attempting that.

>>Overall, it's a fun event and the after party is worth the price of admission. <<

>>The red trail at the end is getting to be the last holdout from years previous and has lived a long, hard life. I wonder how long that trail will remain in the race. Also, it seemed that some of the cross-country type trails worked better to spread people out on the course. There were still bottle necks going down sometimes, but not as bad as this year it seems.<<

The Red trail was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the 1930s to allow Keweenaw Mountain Lodge pardons a trail to hike down to Lake Manganese on. Of course the Copper Harbor trails club has revamped some,, but not all of it. We’d agree that trail is about shot and not all that much fun to ride anymore. A young fellow from Wausau WI was in the lead by about 1.5 minutes and coming down the Red Trail for his second time when he came off a rock wrong and crashed. Rubber arm syndrome?? That broke his handlebars so he hiked out. He’d not ridden here before.

How did you like the Mango trail??
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Awesome,

Showed up Thurs for the Group Ride, Rode again Friday, Sat, Raced Sunday. Will be coming back for years to come. This was my first trip up there. At least 2 trips planned for 2012.

The Race... I was skepticle about the Brockway Mtn road, not knowing the area. But I think it was challenging and great (coming from a SS rider). There will always be bottleknecks while racing (unless ur in 1st), it's just how it is.

Loved every part of the trip!

Josh

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by arly View Post
    Plum,

We're not part of the team who puts this together but I'll try answering some of your questions.

You are correct that they add double-track and the hill leaving town to separate the crowds and allow for passing. Brockway Mountain Drive is a larger climb than the old route, which was Lake Manganese rd. Strangely it does appear that the pack did not get very divided by the longer, harder climb. We also heard that people were “attempted” to pass while on The Flow by cutting off a switchback. It didn’t work because he crashed & burned attempting that.
    I'd agree on the field splits. I assumed it'd be more spread out with the longer lead into the singletrack, but it was a log jam. Not sure if that's due to a larger field size or if the paved climb is a field leveler, or both (most likely). I did see a few people 'cyclo-crossing' across switchbacks, but for a 2-3 spots in lined they gained, seemed a lot of effort. The snow mobile run at the bottom and the road climb up to the garden brook trail was long enough to leapfrog anybody in range.

The Red trail was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the 1930s to allow Keweenaw Mountain Lodge pardons a trail to hike down to Lake Manganese on. Of course the Copper Harbor trails club has revamped some,, but not all of it. We’d agree that trail is about shot and not all that much fun to ride anymore. A young fellow from Wausau WI was in the lead by about 1.5 minutes and coming down the Red Trail for his second time when he came off a rock wrong and crashed. Rubber arm syndrome?? That broke his handlebars so he hiked out. He’d not ridden here before.
    The red trail has always been rough, and (to my knowledge) been a constant feature in the race for a decade or so. It is holding up fairly well given the nature of it, very steep, lots of skidding by some, etc, but I wonder how long it can go before it needs a reroute or modifications.

How did you like the Mango trail??
    Much better than the plunge. I didn't pre-ride the Mango, but heard a lot about very skinny bridge sections. I was expecting narrower than I saw honestly, given the feedback. I liked that section the best on the course actually, since a lot of people were having trouble at the bottom of the red trail staying on, allowing me to get some clear trail. Flow was too congested to really enjoy, although it was in better shape than earlier in the weekend (which was surprising given the super D use). The rain helped that a bunch. The garden brook and whoopity woo (?) trails on the west side of 41 are favorites too, although with the two-track reroute to allow for passing, not much was in the race. The Jim Rocks trail was good..

They do such a good job on the trails there, it's really hard to complain about anything, these are more nit-picks than anything.

I did get to ride in Houghton on Friday too. Much more stuff than when I was in school, but the layout takes some getting used to, lots of stopping to consult maps. They were well marked though, so it was easy to figure out where I was, but I was looking for old (12 years) landmarks, so I found myself turned around quite a bit.

Plum

*edited for correct trail ID

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Best race I have ever done!!! Trails were great, plenty of room to pass!! I did it SS and will next year, bring the pain!!!!

b a n n e d
    What?! No pics??

mtbr member
    I only have 1 real complaint. something needs to be done about the huge bottle neck that occurred going down the flow. The field was still pretty big going down that section of trail and there was a big hold up there. I wanted to ride the flow a lot faster but traffic SERIOUSLY slowed it down.

Other than that the race was awesome!! I loved the red trail section, idk why you'd want to complain about it. I rode it on a rigid hard tail and had a blast and enjoyed ripping down that trail. It was gnarly!!! I loved that about this race. They were not afraid to throw in some gnarly trail that really can challenge your ability as a rider. Isn't that the point of a race? To test yourself? I loved the tough parts because so many courses today are so sally'd out they bore me. This course had me smiling for a good chunk of it. It was a refreshing change of pace. This was my 1st year, and I'm damn sure I'm coming back!

A BIG thank you to everoyone who helped out and make this event happen! AWESOME TIME!!!
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

Is this Eundro'ing?
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    I only have 1 real complaint. something needs to be done about the huge bottle neck that occurred going down the flow. The field was still pretty big going down that section of trail and there was a big hold up there. I wanted to ride the flow a lot faster but traffic SERIOUSLY slowed it down.

Other than that the race was awesome!! I loved the red trail section, idk why you'd want to complain about it. I rode it on a rigid hard tail and had a blast and enjoyed ripping down that trail. It was gnarly!!! I loved that about this race. They were not afraid to throw in some gnarly trail that really can challenge your ability as a rider. Isn't that the point of a race? To test yourself? I loved the tough parts because so many courses today are so sally'd out they bore me. This course had me smiling for a good chunk of it. It was a refreshing change of pace. This was my 1st year, and I'm damn sure I'm coming back!

A BIG thank you to everoyone who helped out and make this event happen! AWESOME TIME!!!
    ^ what he said.

I don't race much...in fact, this race was the first time this year I rode more than 12 miles continously without stopping to get off my bike. I was completely freaked out that I wasn't going to be able to handle the mileage. Sure, creeping down The Flow kinda sucked but it opened up after that.

Kudos to the race organizers that decided to put the most challenging sections of trail at the very end with Red Trail and Mango. Those trails are awesome!

Definitely coming back next year!

mtbr member
    I have some pictures of the races, both XC and Super D - CH Fat Tire Festival 2011

Everyone looked good where I was standing on Mango trail, but we had a few crashes....

mtbr member
    holy *****!!! That boulder nearly got me everytime I rode that part! I feel bad for that guy, but I totally almost did what he did!!
    -Eric

mtbr member
    oh, and thanks very much for the pics! They were awesome!
    -Eric

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by sagacious View Post
    I have some pictures of the races, both XC and Super D - CH Fat Tire Festival 2011

Everyone looked good where I was standing on Mango trail, but we had a few crashes....
    Nice Pics! Thanks for putting up the gallery.

Plum