Nuts

CH Fat tire festival rules & regs?

Thinking about doing the Fat Tire festival but can't find any rules or regs. Does anyone know what the Fat Bike cat regs are?

Thanks....
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not sure I understand the question. Fat Tire is kinda like:

1. Show up
    2. Ride bike
    3. Drink Beer
    4. Party!

It doesn't strike me as your typical categorized race. Everyone starts at the same time and you ride it like you stole it. Afterwards you hang out and drink a lot of beer and listen to music. Bring some chairs

Here's all the info.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by chong View Post
    Not sure I understand the question. Fat Tire is kinda like:

1. Show up
    2. Ride bike
    3. Drink Beer
    4. Party!

It doesn't strike me as your typical categorized race.

Here's all the info.
    In the 2010 results pdf they list all the different categories and one is a Fat Bike cat (right above single speed) What is it, is it clydes or a true Fat Bike cat?
    And I love beer!!

Nuts
    Additional Information
    Categories include: 24 & 14 mile, "Fat" Bike and Single Speed The course will be open to preview ride the day before the race. Spectators are welcome and encouraged! This event is too good to miss! There's plenty of other good trails not used in the race. Whether you prefer endurance, climbing or DH plan on sticking around to check 'em out!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Link?

Nuts
    Link? I posted all that it said. I posted the same thing on Facebook and got a response which said the Fat bike cat is for bikes over 35# not counting water bottles for over weight. Now I need to make my Fat Bike heavier

Thanks....
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Distances are 28 and 16 miles this year. The course has changed and includes Brockway Mountain and The Flow - this is what I heard from Sam Raymond, but I didn't pick his brain for too much more info. You could try calling the adventure company and ask Sam himself, might be your best bet because, you're right... info on this is pretty hard to come by. Have you been to Copper Harbor before by the way?

nOOb
    May 2008
    Looking at the average speeds of last years race there must be lots of climbing which is cool. I don't have any plans that weekend yet and may consider it, I like the trails in Copper harbor!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Looking at the average speeds of last years race there must be lots of climbing which is cool. I don't have any plans that weekend yet and may consider it, I like the trails in Copper harbor!
    My GPS logged ~3000ft over the 28 mile course from last year. There's a fair amount of climbing involved. It's a fun ride, cmon out if you don't have anything going on!

mtbr member
    I need to get my camping reservations made pronto. I just registered here last week! REALLY looking forward to doing this. My 1st year!
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The course went up over the weekend. Not looking forward to riding up Brockway Mountain Drive or riding the Red trail twice. Hit it up on the Copper Harbor Trails Club site.

nOOb
    May 2008
    That's it, you scared me off. I'm a big old fat guy who climbs like a goat, a one-legged goat
    I found a campground, Lake Fanny Hooe is that a good spot?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    That's it, you scared me off. I'm a big old fat guy who climbs like a goat, a one-legged goat
    I found a campground, Lake Fanny Hooe is that a good spot?
    I camped there this spring, it was a nice place to camp for sure. I'd reccomend it
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Oh god just thinking about Red Trail on my hardtail makes me shudder.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BeakJones View Post
    Oh god just thinking about Red Trail on my hardtail makes me shudder.
    It's not that bad. I did the race on a hardtail last year. Paul's Plunge was much more dicey on the hard tail than the Red Trail. This year there is no Paul's Plunge, but a double dose of Red Trail (for the long haulers that is). Should be fun. I'm just hoping the big rock doesn't give me any issues this year.

mtbr member
    Red trail was tough on a fully rigid and driving rain, so I think with suspension up front and hopefully dry weather, it won't be so bad. I though red trail was a fun challenge. If you can ride it on a hardtail, you can ride it on anything.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Guess I'll find out haha. Did it a few weeks ago on the 60mm rear travel spesh fsr, really barely a full suspension bike, but certainly more kush than my hardtail. I remember I cleared everything and never threw the bike down or got away from it, but it wasn't too easy in parts. I hate the double bridge that has the gnarly downhill entrance - hate in a good way, of course.