mtbr member
    Apr 2009

camping/ biking in up

me and my family are planning a camping trip in the u.p. . I have been thinking marquette but am open to suggestions . I am looking for a good campground with somthing for the family to do and close to some good riding.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    keweenaw peninsula, you can camp at mcclain (right on lake superior, located close to houghton), or fort wilkins (in copper harbor) state park. Both are pretty good but they are state park camping, mcclain has a lot of r/v's. In mcclain your close to maasto hihto/churning rapids, swedetown, and the tech trails. At fort wilkins you are extremely close to the copper harbor trails which are considered by alot of people to be the best in the midwest (they're the best I've ever ridden). Link for trail maps: http://keweenawtrails.com/mountain.html

Other things in the area that are worth checking out are the drive up brockway mountain, tooling around on the seasonal roads out at copper harbor (you can get out to the tip as long as your driving an suv), and waterfalls. Here;s a link to this guys website that has the location of a ton: http://www.jacobemerick.com/waterfalls/map/ (all the tacks are water fall locations) the hungarian falls are really nice and are a easy hike, there's also mine tours that are kinda fun.

Sorry if I kinda put out a lot of info, but the keweenaw is great.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Its always worth it to pay the Tahquamenon falls a visit in Paradise MI. There is camping up the river (water, electric) and at the mouth (rustic). If you do stop there be sure to check out camp 33's brew pub, most the time their micro brew is amazing, also get the deep fried pickles. If your looking for a beautiful cabin on Lake Superior look up Saunders Sunrise Cabins, we go there in the winter to snowshoe the falls.

Have a good trip where ever you go!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks for all the great info . I am hoping to find a camp ground that has singletrack riding within riding distance . so as to not leave the wife and kids without a vehicle.

thanks again for the help .

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I know near the upper falls there is a trail, i hiked it a bit last time but didn't bring my bike.

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/mtbike/mtbike.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    For camping near great trails. Fort Wilkins at Copper Harbor would be your top choice. The wife and kids can walk the path to Copper Harbor and buy ice cream and trinkets. Swim in the harbor (till they turn blue) or swim and splash at the campground all day. McCleans State Park is about 3 or 4 miles from sweed town trails and 4-5 miles from churning rapids trails towards Hancock. You could camp in my family's orchard and ride my trails, but the only bathroom facilities are in my house. It would have to be at a time when we are around. We're about 11 miles west of Houghton.
    Rich

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey thanks for the Replys sounds like copper harbor maybe were we end up I have been there just a few years ago but that was on my motorcycle so we didnt have are mountain bikes with us