Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Camping + Biking Locations?

Hey all.

I was wondering if there are any parks or trails in Michigan where you can camp and bike. Ideally it would be a place where you can drive to the campground, and have easy access to trails nearby via bike. I ride XC.

I've heard the UP has such locations? I just moved to Michigan and am looking forward to planning some epic rides when it thaws.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Welcome to Michigan. Don't know where you're at, but looks like we're going to get a dumping of snow. Probably one of the best places in Michigan(lower pen.) is Rifle River Recreation Area - its located in the Lupton/St. Helen area. There are some awesome trails - from beginner to advanced. I don't remember how many miles of trails. You can get info on the area on the Michigan DNR site. Its also a State Park, has both modern and rustic camping. Its a great place to Kayak/Canoe - boats with motors are not allowed. In Michigan the state parks have gone to 'site specific' reservations. You can boot a camp site 6 months in advance. If you really like to camp at the state parks, I recommend you make reservations no less than 3 months before you want to camp. The first 2 weeks in July are hard to find places - GM is off those 2 weeks. I've heard there are some great trails up by Cadillac/Traverse City. Don't know about the UP. If you cross country ski, there is Corsair in Tawas/East Tawas. Anyways enjoy all the outdoors Michigan has to offer. Hope this helps. Please post areas ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you haven't already, check these guys out. http://www.mmba.org/

Click on the trail guide tab. One of my favorites is Fort Custer State Rec Area
    It has a very nice campground and 32 miles of trails you can access from your campsite. There is also a paved trail system that leads into downtown battle creek. We rode in for dinner. I like a place that I can leave my car parked for the weekend and do everything by bike. Look through the trail guide, there are many others with onsite camping also.

http://www.mmba.org/trails.php?trail=10

Barry

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks guys!!

I'm currently in royal oak, so most of those will be a drive for me but I don't mind. As long as I can make a weekend out of it, it will be sweet.

Thanks for the mmba.org link! I've used it a bit to find trails in the detroit metro area, I used to go to Maybury, Lakeshore and Island Lake a lot. But those are all sort of after work 2 hr ride sorta deals.

But For Custor sounds perfect. I'll definitely check it out. Rifle River sounds awesome too, but it is a little furthur than Fort Custor. But, sounds like I'll have to drive anyways so its all good.

How about big riding events? I've heard of the Michigander and plan to hit that up. Are there any other similar type of rides where you camp and stuff?

PS. I just moved here from California, so heaps of snow is really mountains of snow for me. haha.

mtbr member

Keweenaw trails

Welcome to the land of trolls! If or when you get up to the UP (Yooperville) you should check out the trails in the Keweenaw area. More info can be found at http://www.copperharbortrails.org/ or Keweenawtrails.com If you go into the gallery or trail section here look her look for Tech, Swedetown and Copper Harbor trails. Feel free to shoot any questions our way and we have campgrounds which are riding distance from these trails. Hope we see you next summer! Oh we've been XCing for nearly a month so riding trails is limited at this time.
    Last edited by arly; 12-17-2007 at 06:55 PM.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    oh very nice!

thanks for the link! that fat tire event looks especially fun! is it very competitive? or can noobs like me stroll in and take a stab.

mtbr member
    Its a pretty fun event put together by a GREAT bunch of folks. Having said that its quite a climb to get around the course even once. Most flat-landers who come up and do it get spanked by the climbs or the technical features of the trail. If you go to the galley and use Copper Harbor your see a bunch of photos weve took while riding these trails. CH would be our favorite trail within 40 miles of Hancock/Houghton where we reside.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    very cool.

i used to ride in California in norcal in the bay area.

even those trails had more climb than the ones i've been doing around here in the metro detroit area.

but it does sound like a grueling course, but that just makes me wanna check it out some more!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would really recommend Fort Custer as well. That place is ideal for camping and biking. Also might try Yankee Springs for a shorter weekend stay.

Although you can't camp on the island, and there is only 1 or 2 trails with any sort of difficulty, I would try to ride Mackinac Island for a day. There is camping in Mackinaw City and St. Ignace on both sides of the bridge, so it makes for a killer weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For an epic style trip there's always Clear Lake State Park, a little north of Atlanta, that connects to the High Country Pathway. I've never camped there, I have a cabin nearby, but it looks like the typical state park campground. Clear Lake is a beautiful lake. The HCP is an 80 mile loop so you can choose how far you'd like to ride. It's not a groomed xc trail, so there's a little gettin lost and some hike-a-bike. On the MMBA site, on the forums under the Northern Chapter they should have postings about HCP 50 and 80 mile fun rides, check them out.

That said, Ft Custer is my favorite place to camp and ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Don't wander over Da Bridge.
    You've been warned.Eh

Try North Country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Lickety, why do you say not to cross the bridge?

I've heard its fun to road bike around the island up there?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Somethin just ain't right over de bridge

Dey talk funny up dere.eh.
    Dey drink a plenty of de beer.
    Duh men dey shoots de deer after dey drink da beers.
    And do NOT ask what dee men do wit each uter after dey gets derunk.
    You've been warned about de bridge.
    LS

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    haha uhhh......okay.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Marquette Area

You will want to visit Marquette. You can camp at Tourist Park in the city of Marquette. From there you can ride the Noquemanon Trails or you can warm up by riding the city bike path to the South Trails which include the Mount Marquette Loop, Pioneer Loop, Carp River Loop, The Flow, and many more. A few years ago Marquette was rated as one of the top places to live and ride by BIKE magazine. You could come up for the Superior Bike Fest. It is a weekend of bike races of all kinds. Or you could come up for the Ore 2 Shore Mountain Bike epic. Choose from a 28 or 48 mile point to point race. this is the biggest mass start race in Michigan.
    You could also rent a rustic cabin in the Little Presque Isle and ride all of the Harlow Lake trails like Jedi & Top of the World. There is a 12 hour race held at Harlow Lake trails. See KMK Cycling's website for details.
    The Munising area has Bruno's Run and I believe you can camp right there. The Munising area has a point to point race called Tour Da Woods.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Pickerel Lake

I've gotta say Pickerel lake is right up there. Nice forest service (rustic, cheap) CG, North Country Trail right across the dirt road can be ridden for ~20 hilly singletrack miles. Grayling area, a bit to the NE, I recall.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! The fat about the CH Fat Tire race?

The Fat Tire race at Copper Harbor is fun and ferocious climbing on some of the nicest trails around these parts. Some folks do it for the challenge while others are really racing. If you come early or stay afterwards this would allow you to time see all the trails. Let us know if your going to make it up.

Quote Originally Posted by harryzhong
    oh very nice!

thanks for the link! that fat tire event looks especially fun! is it very competitive? or can noobs like me stroll in and take a stab.

Time is not a road.
    I've camped and biked at Brighton Rec Area in the past. Manistee is a cool place to ride, too, but I think you'll have to camp away from the trailhead (we did).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thanks guys for all the input! I can't wait to try out all of those, but this weather, man!

I actually studded up some tires as a weekend project, hope to try some winter biking if the snow holds

Time is not a road.
    Yeah, dude, that's why I left MI in 2002. The sun only shines six months a year. It's enough to make you wanna kill somebody!

Mid 60s today in Vegas...got a good ride in.
    Last edited by chad1433; 02-08-2008 at 07:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You should go to the Keweenaw Peninsula, bike north of Marquette, Seney National Wildlife Refuge (flat but easy trails and lots of wildlife), north of Newberry near Lake Superior. I like to stay at the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge. Go to the Estevan Pines, climb Brockway Mountain Drive and bring bug dope!! I like to explore. Get a GPS and a topographical map and bring your lunch. Lots of campgrounds in the U.P. Call me when you get here and I will show you some trails.
    Dave P. payantdavid@gmail.com (Marquette)

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm riding the Keweenaw?

Dave, you do know that bikes aren't allowed in the Estivant Pines Nature Sanctuary? Even if they were the trail loop isnt really rideable anyway. Having said they the folks up at Copper Harbor have built about 20 miles of FUN mountain like loops to ride and build more each summer. We live in Houghton but like there trails so much we get up we get up to CH and ride every few weeks. Maybe we'll see you riding with us Dave?? Hope so!! If you look in the gallery you'll see a bunch we've taken up there.

Quote Originally Posted by David Payant
    You should go to the Keweenaw Peninsula, bike north of Marquette, Seney National Wildlife Refuge (flat but easy trails and lots of wildlife), north of Newberry near Lake Superior. I like to stay at the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge. Go to the Estevan Pines, climb Brockway Mountain Drive and bring bug dope!! I like to explore. Get a GPS and a topographical map and bring your lunch. Lots of campgrounds in the U.P. Call me when you get here and I will show you some trails.
    Dave P. payantdavid@gmail.com (Marquette)

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    Where are the trails I copper harbor I've done a little looking by myself but I've only found the seasonal roads. I go to school at mich tech so I want to find all the keweenaw trails

mtbr member
    This will give you an idea http://www.copperharbortrails.org/ The CH trail club is marking them better each summer but Id still suggest taking someone along who know them so you can maximize your fun! Will you be staying here this summer?? We'd certianly ride up there with you.
    Last edited by arly; 02-15-2008 at 03:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I live in Ishpeming and have lived in lansing mos of my life. Yankee Springs, Fort Custer, and the Potowatome (sp?) are good for downstate. Personally when I check a place out for the first time I like long trail loops with little confusion about where you're going. The UP is not like that except for Bruno's run which is pretty looking but not as fun as Marquette's south trails, or Bareback, the Tech trails in Houghton, the trails around Ishpeming, and Copper harbor trails. Unfortunately those are all mazes. I think a visitor should try to find a guide or have a few days to really explore. I've been in Ishpeming for a year and a half and still haven't figured it all out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast