mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Boyne Mountain vs Boyne Highlands

I'm thinking of making a day trip down to either boyne mountain or boyne highlands. I'm wondering what the differences of the trails at the two places are? Is either one preferred over the other? I'm interested in primarily downhill or technical XC

Thanks guys

Broke as a joke
    Jun 2009
    Ive done some investigating and Highlands seems like its got better DH. I will be investigating first hand one of the weekends next month. But try looking on their website.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Went to Boyne Mountain on Friday the 3rd to practice for downhill race they're having this Saturday and then grass slaloms on Sunday, here's a link. http://www.funpromotions.com/events.htm

I was at Highlands a couple weeks ago and have been there twice now and would say it's much more fun with the technical stuff at Highlands, way more extreme obstacles and lots of runs to choose from.

The Mountain will be fun this weekend for the race, went last year to watch and couldn't wait to get back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I was thinking of going this weekend. I guess I'll be going to Highlands for some lift assisted DH since boyne mountain is going to be busy.

Is highlands technical enough to warrant wearing some protection?

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I would consider it, here is a very small video clip from Pink Bike, there are multiple bridges, teeter totters, big drops and lots of jumps that will keep you busy all day long.

Oh, the chair lift is slow because of sight seers :-) have fun.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/81238/

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    How slow is slow? Is it quicker to ride up?

I am bringing my family up to the resort this weekend. I will be riding on Saturday and Sunday this weekend. I will be on a gold Giant Reign XO if anyone else is around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I rode Boyne Highlands Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. Only the Northside trails were open, Southside trails were closed due to logging. I probably got in anywhere from 15 to 16 runs in on Saturday and 12 to 13 on Sunday. I spent almost all of my time on Shock, Aftershock, Sideout, T.G. 1 (which is now renamed Opeth) and Fun Run or Rich's Fun Run. I did hit The Trooper DH run twice, but after the second section of woods there is a massive sand pit that made it almost impossible to keep the flow going on the trail (this is code for I crashed both times).

The ladder bridges and drops on T.G.1 and Aftershock will keep you on your toes. And the jumps on Fun Run were nothing but FUN! I have to give the builders props for building a great freeride/downhill park. This park is a great place for intermediate to advance riders to get their freeride on. Beginners please be very careful and take your time.

On top of all of this the resort is top notch. I brought my whole family and they enjoyed the pool and scenic chairlift rides while I did my thing. I wish I lived closer than 6 hours away.

Broke as a joke
    Jun 2009
    Nice to hear! I'm going the weekend of the 15-16th next month. Me and a buddy are gonna camp in petoskey to keep it cheap (bills coming out of nowhere right now). Its only like 10-15min away so its not bad. I cant freaking wait though. What were you riding/how much travel?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I was riding a 2007 Giant Reign XO 6.7 rear travel with a Fox 36 Float RC2 six inches up front. This was plenty of bike for 95% of the trails. There are a few drops pushing 8-10 feet that may call for more travel (a little to burly for me).

Broke as a joke
    Jun 2009
    Now i'm wondering if i shouldn't rent a bike? I got a Fisher Fat Possum that I had to knock down to 5.5" in the front, but still 6" in the rear. Problem too is it's a brand new fork and shock. But if I blow anything up, it should be covered under warrenty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gokart2
    Now i'm wondering if i shouldn't rent a bike? I got a Fisher Fat Possum that I had to knock down to 5.5" in the front, but still 6" in the rear. Problem too is it's a brand new fork and shock. But if I blow anything up, it should be covered under warrenty.
    I think your bike should be more than enough. I saw people riding the trails on hardtails. It depends on what you want to do. If you are planning on hitting the big drops, 8 ft and up, than you might want to rent a bike.

Broke as a joke
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sconley1789
    I spent almost all of my time on Shock, Aftershock, Sideout, T.G. 1 (which is now renamed Opeth) and Fun Run or Rich's Fun Run. I did hit The Trooper DH run twice, but after the second section of woods there is a massive sand pit that made it almost impossible to keep the flow going on the trail (this is code for I crashed both times).

The ladder bridges and drops on T.G.1 and Aftershock will keep you on your toes. And the jumps on Fun Run were nothing but FUN! I have to give the builders props for building a great freeride/downhill park. This park is a great place for intermediate to advance riders to get their freeride on. Beginners please be very careful and take your time.
    ^^^x2^^^. All i have to say is wow. I have never had that much fun. Bring ur balls. That sandy section on Trooper almostt got me, but I only wrecked once due to having a bee traveling 200mph hit me in the eye and then sting me. Other then that i totally recommend highlands and cant wait to go back. Chairlift broke on our second day, so we rode the xc trail backwards to the top (finding out that the xc trails were actually really long downhill decents with not too many obsticles), then rode shock/aftershock for the last time down. If we would have known the "xc" trail was a long decent, we probably would have rode that down a few times...but i dont recommend riding up like we did. Was a workout. And dont trust that fat little bastard at the bike office, nothing but lies. He set us up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    What bike did you end riding?

Broke as a joke
    Jun 2009
    My Fat Possum. I ended up doing almost everything but the stuff guys with DH/FR specific bikes were passing up. Couple things there cant see anyone doing. I used 100% of my travel all day. But i just put 2010 Fox stuff on front and rear. And i never felt it bottom out, must have been luckey and got it setup perfect because it was like butter.

Masters' class Clydesdale
    I wonder how late in the year you can still ride there??
    Tighten it 'til it strips - then back it off a quarter turn

MTB Name = The Executioner

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    We just rode the single track yesterday, as well as 1 of the Downhill runs. We got to the top at 3:00ish and the chair was not running. I do not know if it is closed for the season or if it was just the end of the day? If you are into single track you can ride there until the snow flies, same with downhill if you are ok to rideing to the top.

Boyne vs Boyne Highlands.

Singletrack.

Boyne map sucks, start by the tennis court and follow either the red or the blue to the top, when you get to the top (8 miles) take a left go past the first golf hole and look for a single track on the right, follow this loop back to the top (or take a right at the intersection and head to the bottom), then head back past the golf hole and look for a single track on the left, take this to the bottom (total 14.5 +/- miles). The riding is more technical, longer, gruntier, and harder to follow. Not for a casual ride unless you stop a lot.

Highlands has a decent map, but where you get it, at the main logde, is no where near where you want to start at Emmet Heights rd. Easier climbs, nothing grunty, trail system is pretty easy to follow.

Dowmhill.

Highlands no question about it. Boyne has a few runs 2 that are maintained, with very few skills type obsticles.

Feel free to message me if you want any more beta on the area.

Prod1,

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sconley1789
    I was riding a 2007 Giant Reign XO 6.7 rear travel with a Fox 36 Float RC2 six inches up front. This was plenty of bike for 95% of the trails. There are a few drops pushing 8-10 feet that may call for more travel (a little to burly for me).
    I havnt been to boyne highlands yet but plan on going soon. But do you think i would be ok with only 120mm marzocchi bombers in front and 110mm in the rear?