mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Boyne Highlands Bike Park

Hi, do you guys have any information on when Boyne Highlands Bike Park will open for 2011? Taking my family to Petoskey for some biking 1st week of May and unfortunately Boyne website does not have any information yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    normally they have dates posted, im surprised they dont yet. im gonna guess the chairs will run starting in June, but hopefully sooner. im gonna be driving through roughly the same time period and would like to stop and ride.

anyone know if the trail that starts on top and goes around the mountain is fixed? 2 summers ago after the logged the hill a lot of trails where destroyed including this one.
    thats what I want to ride
    thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Black4esT
    normally they have dates posted, im surprised they dont yet. im gonna guess the chairs will run starting in June, but hopefully sooner. im gonna be driving through roughly the same time period and would like to stop and ride.

anyone know if the trail that starts on top and goes around the mountain is fixed? 2 summers ago after the logged the hill a lot of trails where destroyed including this one.
    thats what I want to ride
    thanks
    Iím not sure what one exactly you are talking about but i was out early last season and you couldn't take all the runs on the North side. We have a group of guys from the UP heading down to Boyne Highlands in early June. Hope it's ready by then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have been riding the for three weeks, there is very little if any snow now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trevrev97
    I have been riding the for three weeks, there is very little if any snow now.
    so if you have been out that must mean they have the lifts running correct?

Have they added any more jumps or decking/ramps since last year?

How about the logging issues? Did they reopen any of the trails that were closed on the north side of the hill (right side in respect to looking at the hill from the lodge)?

I live in Iron Mountain MI and love heading to Marquette or to Boyne Highlands when I get the chance. i plan to make at least two trips to Boyne highlands this year. Highlands seems a lot more flowier than Marquette mountain. We have our fingers crossed that Marquette Mtn opens the lifts this year again. I just picked up a 2011 trek scratch 8 this year and i'm itching to hit up some more downhill oriented trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Does anyone know if the Rich's Fun Run trail was effected by the logging? Will this trail be open this year? I have seen a couple videos of this trail and it looks like a blast. For some reason I never hit that trail before. I guess for some reason I thought it was more of a cross country trail. I'm not really sure why I had that impresion. I hope it's up and running for the first weekend in June.

DynoDon

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker

yeah this hasn't been updated yet.

mtbr member
    Unless there was new logging after July of last year, all of the trails should be gtg as there hasn't been any for a couple years now.
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am not sure about he FR and DH stuff but, they have logged the crap out of that place since last July.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    looks like they will be open May 28th! We are planning on being there the following weekend!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Copied from Boyne Highlands website

NEW FOR 2011.....
    In addition to an all new fleet of rental bikes, we now have a dedicated full time trail crew. They have been busy this spring re-routing and improving sections of our freeride and cross country trails, re-fabricating existing stunts in the park to create new challenges and improving the flow of the bike park. A new aggressive cross country loop is under construction and construction continues on an "All Mountain Super D" style trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That is code for "the trails are pretty wrecked from logging, so we have to rebuild them"

Quote Originally Posted by hierks
    Copied from Boyne Highlands website

NEW FOR 2011.....
    In addition to an all new fleet of rental bikes, we now have a dedicated full time trail crew. They have been busy this spring re-routing and improving sections of our freeride and cross country trails, re-fabricating existing stunts in the park to create new challenges and improving the flow of the bike park. A new aggressive cross country loop is under construction and construction continues on an "All Mountain Super D" style trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trevrev97
    That is code for "the trails are pretty wrecked from logging, so we have to rebuild them"

yeah no ****. haha. hopefully they have a hell of a crew busting ass on those trails so it's all done for the first weekend of June.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    A group of six of us hit Boyne Highlands this past weekend and had a blast. (6/4/2011) Spent 7 hours on the hill. I didn't see any sign of logging on the downhill runs and everything was open except one trail. Shock to Richís Fun Run was one of my favorite with tons of flowy curves and jumps to play on.
    It looks like the trail crew did a little work on some of the trails and all the wooden drops and jumps were ready to ride except for that one run down the center of the hill.
    A couple guys in our group hit the cross country trails and said they ran into some areas that were logged but still got a long ride in. They said the cross country trails they hit were in excellent condition however. I think they said they took the blue loop over to the orange loop. I think part of the blue loop was closed because of logging but not really sure on that. Anyway just thought I would add my .02 since it seems hard to find any good info on the trail conditions at this hill.

mtbr member
    For an XC rider who wants to do some lift running can you recommend what to ride? Not super comfortable with too much air.
    Josh

mtbr member
    All the major jumps have ride arounds that you can do if you don't want to fly high. There isn't any reason you can't ride the park on a xc bike. Just make sure your brakes are in good shape and everything is tight and working correctly.
    '08 Turner Highline
    '00 DBR X6

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    yeah more than half our crew had xc bikes and just road around most of the jumps. There are smaller jumps or trails with no jumps off of the South Rim trails if you want to start on those. when you get to the lodge and pay to use the lifts ask them if they have the xc trail map printed. When i was there they said they were in the process of getting the xc maps made. The map online just shows the more downhill trails. If they don't have the new map created just ask them how to access the xc trails. My buddys that hit the xc trails really enjoyed them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Anyone plan on riding boyne highlands this saturday. I had plans with a few people to head down to the lifts this weekend but everyone backed out on me.

Just wanted to see if anyone would be around and willing to let me tag along. i'm an average rider and might not be able to keep up with you young studs but maybe i'll be able to take some notes and learn a thing or two.

Looking at Boyne Highlands website it looks like they added some new wooden ramps or fixed old ramps. i'm looking forward to seeing how it changed from my visit earlier this season.

later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    yes