mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Boyne free riding a hardtail

Hey Gentleman, I just joined this forum after MTBing for a few years. I have a fairly new felt Q520. I have riden it on some trails out in grand junction Colorado. and also some here in Michigan. As you know, it's a hard tail and I wanted to get into some DH or free riding at boyne here in Michigan. Is this not advisable, considering its a HT and I would be risking breaking the frame easily? Or do you think I would be ok? Also, if you have any upgrade suggestions on a safer way to DH/ freeride on this hard tail, suggestions would be appreciated. Ive never risen at boyne so any advice would be awesome
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I haven't ridden Boyne before, but I think most people are going to give you the same general response- your bike is not intended for DH. Sure you could get away with more AM type stuff especially if you're a lighter, smoother rider. You'll probably never know what's too much for your bike until it breaks.

Michigan Wolverine
    I've heard of people doing Boyne on hardtails before. From the videos I've watched I don't think theres anything really too gnarly there. I'm personally thinking about hitting it with my hardtail later this year.

mtbr member
    I'm going to be hitting Boyne on my DJ in the next month or so. Several of my friends have done it in the past without any issues.