mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Bike Upgrades for the Michigan MTBer

Hey guys and gals,

Apologies in advance if this is not the right way to pose a question. I need some help to determine the right crankset for my bike. I've done some research, but was hoping that the vast experience of some forum members may help narrow the search.

I've got a 09 Fisher Cobia. Will be running X.9 med cage out back on a X.0 11-32. Bought it for the frame, and budgeted for some upgrades of my choice rather than the all-Bontrager route. I would like to switch to a 2X9 drivetrain since I rarely use anything other than the 32T middle ring up front. My wish list includes:

-2 ring front crankset
    -175mm or 180mm crank arms (pref. 180)
    -external bottom bracket
    - 4 arm or very common BCD (for some RaceFace turbine rings)
    -Would like to get a 26-38 setup, but if it is a universal BCD I'll pay to swap out the rings.
    -White in color would be nice, but not a biggie
    -Under $250 incl BB would be nice as well. Not gonna get into carbon, and I'm okay with that.

What I've found:
    -White Industries are nice, but proprietary rings
    -FSA have horror stories from my LBS, not big on the 27-40
    -Race Face are great, but proprietary BB
    -Truvativ Stylo is cool, unsure about the ring configuration.

I appreciate any help that you guys may be able to provide. Also open to opinions on gearing (I did the Gain Ration calculations, but I'm still not sure). I've got legs, but I don't know how I'll feel after 10 miles. Sometimes I like the granny.

Thanks,
    Alex

Hit em hard!
    I'm a big fan of Race Face components. www.Pricepoint.com and www.Jensonusa.com have some great deals on XC cranks, I'd go with a Race Face or Truvaviv. Here's a link to Pricepoint's Race Face cranks, there are more than one in your price range that would make you very happy I think. http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb.htm?...price&ascend=1
    My Mountain Bike Blog! http://michiganmtbr.wordpress.com

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    shimano slx or lx. I've been on hone cranks (basically lx with steel threaded inserts) for a couple years and they're awesome.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    I'm gonna say Shimano as well. I'm pretty sure you can get the SLX in a two-ring config. and it's just a small step down from XT. If you can swing the XT's go for those. In my opinion, the best crankset available. Stiff, light, and still affordable. I bought my XT's on ebay for CHEAP! so check that route also.

Doug

ride it like you stole it
    Raceface would be my first choice and best recommendation. Great company, and killer products. I've been riding a 2 ring and a 1 X 9 set up for the past 3 years. No problems ever with the RF cranks, rings or bb. I love the x-type set up. My second recommendation would be Shimano. SLX or XT is the way to go if you choose Shimano.