Thread: Big Rapids Area

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Big Rapids Area

Hello I am living in Big Rapids and hoping someone knows some good trails (aside from the white pine trail). Dirt single tracks would be awesome, XC/AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Big Rapids

Unfortunately there really isn't much close to Big Rapids. I have lived here for 2 years and only been mountain biking a few times because of having to drive so far. Hungerford trail is about 15 mins away is a definite waste of time. A lot of sand and the horses have taken it over. Closest around here is Grand Rapids trails such as Canonsburg, Robinettes and the new one out in Rockford. The North County Trail is okay but not very technical and not too exciting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...96626d7e7fe810

Yeah, unfortunately it doesn't look like there are many options near Big Rapids. Definately check out the NCT. There are some sections that exclude bikes, but the sections that are open are supposed to be pretty good. I know there is always talk about re-invigorating the trail at Hungerford; the Western Chapter of the MMBA may have more info. www.mmba.org

mtbr member
    40 minutes North of Big Rapids, Cadillac has an 11 mile single track, just off of the XC trail. It is directly behind the Vocational school. For further directions talk to the guys at McClain's Cycle downtown Cadillac.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    We've recently built a couple of ladder bridges in the back area of the 14 mile loop of the Hungerford Trail. One is just a bridge to get over a tree, but its something. The other one is a bout 60 feet long down hill and is a pretty good time. for an area that doesn't have much to offer were trying to improve it. (Unfortunately I'm moving from here on Friday and wont be able to enjoy it much)
    Life is all about knowing how to be lucky

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    No, there's not much in the way of swoopy single-track in the area, let alone "All Mountain". Sand, sand, and more sand is the name of the game in much of the Manistee National Forest. On the other hand, at around half a million acres, there's plenty of opportunity to literally ride out you back door and get lost in the woods and barely see another soul all day. For free. You can't buy that kind of freedom down here in the SE corner of the state. Take a map and get out there and ride.