Just ride
    Jul 2009

Best training hills in SE Michigan??

Just trying to get ready for my third IM this fall and was wondering where you think a guy can get the best hill workout. I'm looking for a long burn and my spin bike is getting old!! I've ridden Highland, Bald Mtn, Pontiac, Holdridge, and Island Lake. Any trail I'm missing or maybe even a great paved stretch that torchures your legs?? Maybe repeating the long east hill at Indian Springs is my best bet. Ideas?? Thanks

mtbr remember
    Start hitting the dirt roads in N. Oakland county.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Just west of Highland, Pettibone Lake Road has a nice sustained climb. The loop Pettibone to Livingston to Beaumont to Cooley Lake back to Pettibone has very low traffic and is very nice.

Lots of other choices near there too, like Buno Rd...

Just ride
    Jul 2009
    Thanks, I actually live within 10 minutes of that area.

mtbr member

Proud Lake Connector

Quote Originally Posted by MI4stroke View Post
    Just trying to get ready for my third IM this fall and was wondering where you think a guy can get the best hill workout. I'm looking for a long burn and my spin bike is getting old!! I've ridden Highland, Bald Mtn, Pontiac, Holdridge, and Island Lake. Any trail I'm missing or maybe even a great paved stretch that torchures your legs?? Maybe repeating the long east hill at Indian Springs is my best bet. Ideas?? Thanks
    Have you ridden the Proud Lake connector from Milford road into the park (starts near Baker's restaurant in front of the DQ)? Not a huge grade, but it is one of the longer dirt climbs in the area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have to agree with BikeSatori. There are miles upon miles of dirt roads just north of Clarkston with some very good hills.
    2012 Specialized Epic Comp 29er (For Sale)
    2013 Specialized SJ Comp Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Poto

If you havent done Poto yet, its only 20 miles from Ann Arbor, and the climbs are killers.. (I just did it today).

Just ride
    Jul 2009
    Poto and a UM game - sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    DO a search on Strava and you'll find plenty of hill segments in Milford. If you follow the Milford Labor Day 30k route you'll hit some of the best hills in Milford especially if you add the Kensington to Proud Lake connector in.

I also live in Milford and do these hills a lot as I'm training for the Iceman. If you're looking for someone to ride with let me know.

mtbr member
    If you're on the west side anytime get off on M222 from US131N, head west and turn north at 16th St, park before it turns to dirt, anywhere going Northwest you're into the Allegan 'Rockies' - all hard pack / mild scree roads and endless hills, one massive grade on 20th. Bring a double helping of H2O.

mtbr member
    Go ride Addison Oaks, Bald Mountain North and South, and Lake Orion High School trails then add in the dirt roads north of those. The Indian Lake / Barr / Drahner / Lake George loop (which is right next to Bald Mountain North and Addison Oaks) is one of the more rolling/sustained routes in the area and a very popular training ground. It's also quite beautiful, and you can easily hop on to some fast single track for fun at the same time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If you're looking purely for training, Dutton Rd, just west of Orion road in Rochester is one of the higher elevation gains in the area for a single climb.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you're around that area too, try the trails at stoney creek metropark, good balance of flow, climbs, rock gardens, and minor technical terrain. The bald mountain trails aren't all that well maintained, but it's a great place to work on your climbing technique and improve your cadence. If you like more technical stuff with drops, be sure to try out the pontiac state park, and Bloomer too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I know this is a little off topic, but does anyone know of any pump tracks in the oxford/orion/rochester area?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Stony Creek Metropark has a skills area with a nice pump track.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Never been to the skills area, heard it was pretty cool. NOOO idea they had a pump track lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The flying rhinos do a Thursday night gravel road ride out of the Kinetic Systems bike shop in Clarkston. It hits the dirt roads to the NW. It's a mix of cross bikes and mtbs. The pace starts out reasonable early in the season and increases each week. By summer it's quite the hammerfest. Doing this ride last year made a huge improvement in my performance.

For a good pavement loop do the park road inside the holy rec area. I think out and back is 5 miles. I did a 6 lap 30 mile ride out there and had just about 3,000 feet of climbing. There are a few hills over 10%. That's the best climbing I've found down here.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by aspiringmechanic View Post
    I know this is a little off topic, but does anyone know of any pump tracks in the oxford/orion/rochester area?
    build one!
    Schralp it Heavy.