mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Attention Dirt Jump Riders in Kalamazoo

I have been digging in an area for over a month now. It is a low profile location and near WMU Campus. It's a great area and the main run is almost done. I am looking for decent, competent and mature riders. PM me if you guys are interested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hopefully you're still active in this forum because I'm very interested in the spot. I can't PM yet since I'm new to this forum, but I'd like to get in contact with you if possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    No I'm not active here anymore, lucky for you though I still have it linked to my E-mail. I have recently moved from Michigan all together, however, I am still in contact with many in the area. I abandoned the area I was speaking of years ago, however, there are many dirt jump areas in Kalamazoo. Sadly for you they are invite only, but they are worth it. So here is what you need to do:

1) When it comes near fall / winter buy a pass at the Kzoo Skatepark and ride there often. You will meet many other riders there. You will probably know who to talk to by riding level. If you're riding a 26" they might mention "I knew this one guy that rode those!" yea, that was probably me.

2) There is a public skate park, free, in down town Kzoo. It's ghetto and can get scary, however, you will run into street riders. Another great opportunity.

3) Are you into cars? If you are head to DashWorks Friday nights. Many of the riders hang out there. One of the main guys drives a blue 2011 Subaru WRX, he created the "Arcadia Trails" really awesome set of jumps.

4) Ride at Western Michigan University after 5pm, you'll run into more riders.

Good luck man! The Kzoo area is amazing, I wish I still lived there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey man I need you to contact me

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    PM sent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a spot downtown. The place has huge potential, good dirt, and plenty of room to build off of. My uncle built them years ago, and we kept them maintained up until about 6 years ago when he moved out of state. With him being my ride(i was 15 at the time) i haven't rode them since. I want to bring them back to life, but its not going to be easy alone. All my buddies quit riding so I'm looking for some respectful, mature, chill dudes to help with the manpower and ideas on what could be done. Also, just some people to ride with in kzoo, seeing as im just getting back into it and riding/digging alone sucks. I do not claim these trails to be mine. They're abandoned judging by the look over i gave them the other day. So if anyone wants to help, their input and opinions will be valued just the same as mine, or whoever else wants to join. I want this to be a spot that everybody can ride and enjoy (as long as they come shovel in hand).

My name is Eddie, im 21, and I've been living in kzoo my whole life. I am young, but i am respectful and responsible, i excpect nothing less from anyone who tries to contact me. I've been riding, jumping, and breaking bikes as long as i can remember. 20" and 26", i just kinda fell out of the scene for a few years with work and other hobbies. I am a pipefitter/welder, so Im typically busy on weekdays. PM me if anyone is down

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by somich269 View Post
    I have a spot downtown. The place has huge potential, good dirt, and plenty of room to build off of. My uncle built them years ago, and we kept them maintained up until about 6 years ago when he moved out of state. With him being my ride(i was 15 at the time) i haven't rode them since. I want to bring them back to life, but its not going to be easy alone. All my buddies quit riding so I'm looking for some respectful, mature, chill dudes to help with the manpower and ideas on what could be done. Also, just some people to ride with in kzoo, seeing as im just getting back into it and riding/digging alone sucks. I do not claim these trails to be mine. They're abandoned judging by the look over i gave them the other day. So if anyone wants to help, their input and opinions will be valued just the same as mine, or whoever else wants to join. I want this to be a spot that everybody can ride and enjoy (as long as they come shovel in hand).

My name is Eddie, im 21, and I've been living in kzoo my whole life. I am young, but i am respectful and responsible, i excpect nothing less from anyone who tries to contact me. I've been riding, jumping, and breaking bikes as long as i can remember. 20" and 26", i just kinda fell out of the scene for a few years with work and other hobbies. I am a pipefitter/welder, so Im typically busy on weekdays. PM me if anyone is down
    I think I know what old trails you're talking about. Isn't it between two small industrial buildings not far from the road? If so that spot is relatively large but when I checked them out there was a lot of sand / rocks / glass / garbage. I never went back after first glance.

If you want to find riders to hang with I would suggest riding at the free skate park once in awhile. It's a bit ghetto and there are a lot of idiots but large riding crews stop by there from time to time, you might get lucky. An even better idea would buy the bike pass at Skate Zoo and go there at night. A lot of bike riders go there on certain days, I think Thursday. If you're into cars of any sort go to the small local car meets and talk to people. A lot of the people in the car scene over there also ride.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

I would very interested in helping out to develop the spot. PM me. I don't have any real dirt jumping experience (besides what I encounter on trails), but I'd really like to learn.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Detroit- If you're talking off Portage rd. then yeah that's the spot. I haven't seen them without snow cover in a few years, so id assume you're right, regardless id like to make an effort on them sense i live so close. I'm gonna take you advise on getting the membership to the zoo and ride there as much as i can, cause like you said it's invite only, and i wanna ride the grizz. My uncle took part in building those way back, amazing trails. Thanks for the advise.

saintamour- I don't have the post count to pm yet. These jumps are perfect for learning cause they aren't huge, but big enough to learn how to flow. Come spring time we'll have to meet up. It would be great to have an extra pair of hands, and eyes. It's a little bit hood over there hah. Anyways, let me know...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Detroit- If you're talking off Portage rd. then yeah that's the spot. I haven't seen them without snow cover in a few years, so id assume you're right, regardless id like to make an effort on them sense i live so close. I'm gonna take you advise on getting the membership to the zoo and ride there as much as i can, cause like you said it's invite only, and i wanna ride the grizz. My uncle took part in building those way back, amazing trails. Thanks for the advise.
    Yes, that's them. They aren't really worth working on IMO. The lips and landings are trash as they don't have enough lip on them to really flow. The impact on the landing jolted my bones even on my 26" DJ bike. They are a lost cause and there are much better spots to ride and help with digging. You just need to know the right people.

The Grizz has been abandoned for some time now. A lot of the riders traveled elsewhere, I believe many of those are now sponsored. There is another set of trails out there that are very nice that a good friend of mine started. I was jumping them for the longest time.

At any rate... Ride, meet people, and you'll get invites.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Taking a shot in the dark here: anyone interested in forming a working group to proprose a legal public bike park a la Valmont, Plainfield or I-5? I have spoken with Kalamazoo Land Bank as well as the City about land options. PM me if interested. This is in its infancy stages but the reps with whom I spoke sound intrigued. I am not a strong dirt jumper but I have been involved in design and would need to find riders who can: (1) ride well but also understand the needs of beginners (2) designers (3) materials and resources person and a (4) volunteer and sponsorship coordinator. PM me if you can help. I will handle the legal work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    PM me your info, I no longer live in Kzoo but know over a dozen riders who would help.