sapling lover
    Jul 2008

Any trails near East Tawas?

My husband and I will be in East Tawas visiting family and we're considering bringing our mountain bikes with us. Is there any decent mountain biking say within an hour's drive? We're both intermediate level xc riders. I'm going to check MMBA now.

Thanks!

AUGER-N
    Dec 2005
    Rifle river state recreation area is on rose city road. It is about 30 minutes away from east Tawas. It is kinda hilly in spots with one real good climb and a long downhill. pretty fun trail actually. It does not get rode a whole lot, so it gets loose in a few spots. I ride it with my six year old. watch for hikers near the beach. The park is beautiful. I think there is 7 lakes in the park. The trail is well marked. Worth a 30 minute drive for sure.

sapling lover
    Jul 2008
    Thanks superbike! We did ride the trail (all of it) and really enjoyed it. We ended the trip (by accident) at Boyne Mountain which was fantastic too....although of course not near E Tawas!

AUGER-N
    Dec 2005
    That trail is kinda cool. I like the long uphill loop that sends you back the long downhill and up the short steep hill to the road. In the fall look for bears on the other side of the river. I saw one at the top of the loop once. He just looked at me and kept walking! The other side of the river is cool as you ride along the river. Good canoeing there to. Grousehaven lakke is just so blue. Boyne must have been cool. I have never been there without a snowboard. I have a cabin riding distance from the trail there at Rifle River state park, so I am getting to know it well.---Mike