mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Any good rides in Lewiston? Rider from Costa Rica visiting.

Any rentals and rides in that area?
    Will be going there at the end of the month.

b a n n e d
    In lewiston? Nope, definitely not. However, I am certain there will be something in Gaylord. There's lots of areas to ride fore sure . . . just ask the locals once you get there.

What on earth brings someone from Costa Rica to Lewiston???

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How far is Gaylord? My sister is getting married and the family has a house in front of Big Bear lake, we are staying there 4 days.
    Are you familiar with the area?

b a n n e d
    When I lived in Michigan (now living in Los Angeles), I spent a lot of time all over Michigan. Friends had a cottage just outside of Lewiston. Gaylord really isn't too terribly far . . . half hour to 45 minute drive or so.

Here's one trail near Gaylord: Aspen Park

You could also check out Alpena, which is about an hour drive the other direction.

I think the bottom line is that you will be doing some driving. I would call ahead to find and reserve a bike though for sure. Most of the trails you come across up there will be best with either a HT or a short-travel FS.

mtbr member
    Grayling has a trail system at Hansen Hills Recreation Area that I love to ride when I'm down that way on vacation. Grayling is maybe a half-hour drive from Lewiston.

Half an hour north of Gaylord (maybe an hour north from Grayling) is the Shingle Mill Pathway in the Pigeon River State Forest.

Here is a page with some good information on Michigan trails: http://mmba.org/trail-guide

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I live in Mio which is about 20 minutes of Lewiston. There are no bike trails that I know of in that area but there are miles of snowmobile and ORV trails. I ride miles of trails from my front door that are of this type. You can find any type of challenge you want.

DynoDon
    Hartwig Pines has trails, and some virgin trees 300+ feet tall,, great place to see,
    http://www.stateparks.com/hartwick_pines.html
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardshark View Post
    I live in Mio which is about 20 minutes of Lewiston. There are no bike trails that I know of in that area but there are miles of snowmobile and ORV trails. I ride miles of trails from my front door that are of this type. You can find any type of challenge you want.
    Just be SUPER careful on those trails . . . lots of idiots out there with gas-powered toys that are probably not thinking about bikers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the heads up 007. I usually do my riding during the week when nobody but locals are here. One good thing is a lot of the trails around the house are not wide enough for quads. The quads have taken over around here since the opened the shoulder of the roads to them. Cardshark

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardshark View Post
    Thanks for the heads up 007. I usually do my riding during the week when nobody but locals are here. One good thing is a lot of the trails around the house are not wide enough for quads. The quads have taken over around here since the opened the shoulder of the roads to them. Cardshark

Thats really great . . . being able to ride miles of wooded trails right out my door would be fantastic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Your right about that. The only problem I have found is that a lot of the snowmobile trails have a lot of sand on them. The quads do not help the sand problem. I ride a lot of off trail stuff in the winter so I know a lot of short cuts to get to different trails. I recently bought a Trek X-Cal and I am pushing farther and farther from the house as my legs get use to riding. (Smiling) Being retired has it's benefits.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks guys, anyone knows of a bike rentals in Gaylord? and wanna go riding with me?