Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BJC
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

any DH near detroit?

I live in Vail CO right now but am contemplating a move to the detroit area (corktown)..... don't ask.............. but in any case is there any lift served DH that is worth anything within a few hours? Boyne's website is pretty lame so i couldn't get much info from it.

thanks for any and all responses!

mtbr member
    Lift Service-
    The nearest lift service is Boyne Highlands up in Petoskey. Blue Mtn in Collingwood Ontario is maybe 6 hrs away too. Marquette Mtn. (In the U.P.) is also around the 6-7 hr mark...Snowshoe Mtn & Wisp are both around 8hrs away. Diablo, Plattekill, Whiteface are all around 12hrs from Detroit.

Non-Lift Service
    Traverse City (My personal favorite place in state to ride) has a perfect combination of freeride and DH, it's probably 5 hours away. The Mohican Wilderness, in Central Ohio is supposed to be prime DH, another 4-5 hours. Also in Central Ohio is a place called "Horn's Hill", I rode there a few weekends back, it's mainly flowey DH with LOTS of jumps. This is about 4-5hrs from Detroit or an hour from Mohican. Then near Grand Rapids, there is the Cannonsburg Freeride Park. Mainly freeride, some DH. I really expect good things to come from C-Burg in the future as it has only exsisted for less than a year and it's pretty decent right now....Plus there is a pretty dedicated group of trailbuilders out there.

However, like anywhere else we have our local hidden gems. Mainly freeride stuff, but some DH too. There are a few decent DH runs in the Ann Arbor area, but you need to have "connections" to find them.

Overall, less than 20% of my riding happens in the area. Be prepared to travel!! On the flip side, we have a VERY GOOD scene of riders, great group of guys.....Carpooling on trips usually happens a few weekends per month.

PM me if you have any other questions, as far as I know I'm the only FR/DHer that is on these forums that lives in SE MI. I live in Ann Arbor.

mtbr member
    Forgot to ask....Why move to Detroit? From Vail? You're crazy!!
    I've only been living in this area for a year and it sucks! I may have a job lined up elsewhere, I'll keep my fingers crossed....

BJC
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    may move because of a girl , you know how that goes...... what scares me is the really bad economy. I urban assault a lot on my dirtjumper and I'm sure Detroit would be sick for that, fairly empty, very urban etc etc. Would have to give up Keystone DH'ing in the summer and tearing up Beaver Creek and Vail in the winter but oh well.....

appreciate the feedback, was worried I would move there and have to sell the big bike because of no lift serve, I can deal with driving a bit as long as there is some kind of riding

Brian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BJC
    may move because of a girl , you know how that goes...... what scares me is the really bad economy. I urban assault a lot on my dirtjumper and I'm sure Detroit would be sick for that, fairly empty, very urban etc etc. Would have to give up Keystone DH'ing in the summer and tearing up Beaver Creek and Vail in the winter but oh well.....

appreciate the feedback, was worried I would move there and have to sell the big bike because of no lift serve, I can deal with driving a bit as long as there is some kind of riding

Brian
    Very cool....Ann Arbor has a huge street scene, as do some of the northern 'burbs. Honestly, if you are riding in Detroit city limits, make sure you have a local show you around first....There are some VERY ROUGH areas, trust me!! I worked for a while over there.

Anyways hit me up if you end up moving. And keep that big bike!

mtbr member

Brian
    she better be one hell of a girl. you'll not find me moving back to michigan now that i live in colorado.

as far as michigan riding compared to colorado...its totally different. i'm curious what buccilli considers DH in the ann arbor area. I didn't live there, but have friends and family that went to school and/or lived there and I don't recall any serious elevation changes in AA.

BJC
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    true dat on not selling the big bike, I just bought a new one mid summer. I was looking into it some more and searched youtube for dh'ing at Boyne and found a decent helmet cam vid of a run there, short, but looks kinds cool. Still debating mainly because of the economy, have a very good job here and would hate to take a step back. Was in detroit a few weeks ago and was hanging at some sports bar " cheli's" that over looks Comerica Park and I was just checking it out/thinking about the urban assault potential of that city

here's a few pics from this past summer at keystone/vail

Thanks again for the feedback, was even surfing Mt bohemia's website as i read about it in a few ski mags...275 inches a year??
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    she better be one hell of a girl. you'll not find me moving back to michigan now that i live in colorado.

as far as michigan riding compared to colorado...its totally different. i'm curious what buccilli considers DH in the ann arbor area. I didn't live there, but have friends and family that went to school and/or lived there and I don't recall any serious elevation changes in AA.

Think the "mini-gorge" created by the Huron River
    Basically there is one main DH run, noting too tech....Rocky, rooty, a drop, and a few kickers...Probably 30 seconds...Off the main run are numerous shorter runs, these are short and STEEP, rocky, rooty, you commit or else type of runs..

I've ridden all over the East coast and the U.P. and these A2 trails are no joke, especially considering their location.

mtbr member
    true dat on not selling the big bike, I just bought a new one mid summer. I was looking into it some more and searched youtube for dh'ing at Boyne and found a decent helmet cam vid of a run there, short, but looks kinds cool. Still debating mainly because of the economy, have a very good job here and would hate to take a step back. Was in detroit a few weeks ago and was hanging at some sports bar " cheli's" that over looks Comerica Park and I was just checking it out/thinking about the urban assault potential of that city

here's a few pics from this past summer at keystone/vail

Thanks again for the feedback, was even surfing Mt bohemia's website as i read about it in a few ski mags...275 inches a year??
    The economy indeed sucks, if possible stay away from the auto industry. Regardless of what people says, there is lot work to be found, just need the motivation to find it.

Mt. Bohemia is the closest in the midwest to Colorado. It's by no means near the level of Colorado resorts (I've snowboarded at Brek, Keystone, Copper, and Vail), but Bohemia far passes any other midwest resort....But yeah, that 275inches per year is probably accurate, I know the Keweenaw Peninsula hold some kind of snow records.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Moving to Michigan for a girl? Are there no girls in Colorado? I have no idea how old you are, but let me tell you one thing that I have learned in my 40 years... Women are like a City Bus, if you miss one, just wait, another one will be along shortly.

mtbr member
    I moved from Denver to Detroit a couple months ago. I'm moving the end of November, out of this state. The riding here isn't bad, but when you compare it to Colorado, Michiagn really sucks. Its gloomy, cold and damp in the winter so the idea of riding in the off season doesn't sound appealing, and the summer can be great unless its humid. There's no real epic rides and if you're coming here for DH? forget it. Boyne is a joke compared to Vail, Winterpark and Keystone. Its a joke even to Apex or Green Mountain. Urban riding in Detroit would be alright, a little depressing but alright. As far as the economy the state is hurting, no money coming in and lots of money going out. I wish you luck.

BJC
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    all valid points, as I said, I'm considering it, nothing is definate......but to make matters worse i rode Porcupine rim in Moab yesterday ( 3 hours away), it'll be very hard to leave stuff like this behind
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Moab is a weekend get away. A weekend get away here is still flat and thick with trees. Great pictures, one of my favorite trails.

Black Sheep rising
    You would leave that to come to Detroit for a girl? I would leave my wife of 21 years to have that in my backyard.

Unfortunately, my mom says I can't go.

Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    all valid points, as I said, I'm considering it, nothing is definate......but to make matters worse i rode Porcupine rim in Moab yesterday ( 3 hours away), it'll be very hard to leave stuff like this behind
    Let me asure you that you had more fun in one day on Porcupine than you would have from a years worth of "married sex"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buccilli15
    Think the "mini-gorge" created by the Huron River
    Basically there is one main DH run, noting too tech....Rocky, rooty, a drop, and a few kickers...Probably 30 seconds...Off the main run are numerous shorter runs, these are short and STEEP, rocky, rooty, you commit or else type of runs..

I've ridden all over the East coast and the U.P. and these A2 trails are no joke, especially considering their location.
    I'm not saying they're a joke. Just so short its hard to consider them real DH considering that the OP is moving from Colorado.

mtbr member

Oh dude, I LOVE Bohemia. I've skied a lot out west, A-Basin, Vail, Breck, Beaver Creek, Copper, Jackson, Grand Targhee off the top of my head and I still love Bohemia. Haven't been there in a few years but its big time fun and the most vert you'll find just about anywhere in the midwest. I used to live in Houghton, 45 min south of bohemia. Skipped a lot of classes on powder days...they get a lot.

Arrrgggghhh!!
    No way!!!

I'm Detroit transplant to Boulder. I'll never go back unless I get a job that would let me retire within 5-10 years of working (I'm 30) and I'd still have to think hard about it.

Is the chick some kind of uber millionaire?

In october the sun goes away and doesn't come back until late march, what I call the "Bar Season", then it gets so humid and buggy ou can barely go outside.

I do miss the forested trails, but go to BC if thats what you are looking for.

I repeat - don't do it!

(Did you do Hazzard Down? We did the Whole Enchilada 2 weeks ago. Snowing at the top and 80 at the bottom)
    Give 'da people 'da air.

BJC
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    We did do Hazzard down, porc rim rules. Everyone, thanks for all opinions, I am definately aware of what I may be getting myself into. Scary that most everyone I have spoken to has dissed MI, even lifelong residents ( those who would normally champion their hometowns). Still very undecided but hesitant mainly due to the poor economy.

thanks again

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Lived almost 4 years out west (Aspen most of the time) and moved back to the D about 5 years ago (for a job, not a girl) and it was tough, but it is not that bad here. There is some great riding all over Michigan even though the DH may be limited. During the summer Boyne Mtn also opens up a chair for DH runs even though their website is mute on the subject. Northern MI is unbelievable during the summer if you like the water. Trading the Mtns for water is not that bad in the summer months, but hurts in the winter. If you are moving back to the metro Detroit area Royal Oak is the place to be.

Time is not a road.
    To make matters worse, my folks just came to visit last week (from MI to LV) and said that the State had "shut down"...no money.

I love the riding in MI, but it does not really compare to the West, in general. The scene is great and there are almost as many enthusiastic riders in MI as there are in CO, but CO has a "biker" mindset so that there are things like bike lanes on nearly every street, no less than three bike shops in every town, etc. You won't find that in MI. The infrastructure is older and hey, it's MO-town. If I had to move back home, I'd move to Ann Arbor or not at all. Even the one thing that made winter bearable-frozen lakes for ice hockey-has disappeared; global warming and all. I do miss the lakes, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    To make matters worse, my folks just came to visit last week (from MI to LV) and said that the State had "shut down"...no money.
    Not quite from what i've read and heard. Some governmental services stopped very shortly, a matter of hours i believe, while the house and governor worked out the budget after it was due. My family still lives there and I've heard nothing since and this happened was several weeks ago.

Mar 2007
    Stay in Colorado, I was origianally from Detroit and don't go. Make the girl come out there she will like it better anyhow. If your all about downhilling and skiing in the winter than dont go. Take up hockey and boating if your going to be in michigan, the skiing sucks sucks sucks compared to out west, there is nothing challenging, Boyne highland or mountain has a freeride park that seems to take all of 30 seconds. Re-evaluate the priorities.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I lived in Dearborn for almost 6 years; moved back to Kansas 2 years ago. I miss the great trail systems in SE MI (Island Lake, Pontiac, Pickney, Brighton, etc..). Not much DH to speak of but lots of good XC riding. Definitely be ready to do some driving to get to the trailheads. Check out MMBA.org. Good website. Best of luck on your decision. Now could be a good time to buy a house there if you are planning to spend some time there; I still own a house there (it sat empty for a year trying to sell it). If you go...learn to love gray.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S Dub
    , the skiing sucks sucks sucks compared to out west, there is nothing challenging,
    I thought mt bohemia had some pretty good skiing, but its been 5 years since i skied there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast