mtbr member
    Mar 2009

ABA BMX Race Track in Bangor

I'm a WMU student and was sad to see that a BMX track didn't exist that close to Kalamazoo. I was happy to hear that a track was being built out at Bangor which is only a thirty minute drive. They are now at the track building stages after a grueling few months clearing trees on volunteer labor. I went out today to give a helping hand and it's turning out AWESOME! I spent 7 straight hours shaping the rhythm section which is the third straight and it's long and technical.

The guys who are running it need all the helping hands they can get. Sadly I am the only outside volunteer. They are great guys and are extremely passionate about what they are doing. It should be open here in a few weeks so keep an eye on it! You can find more information at the link below and also find some great info on their My Space account:

www.fullcrankbmx.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    First non-gate practice 28th OR 31st 5:00-9:00pm (To be determined by weather for this coming week. Call for conformation or check the site or this thread on which opening date before heading out the door). Keep in mind to practice you must have an ABA Membership which is $45 per year and gains you access to over 270 ABA tracks in the US and Canada in addition to official district, state, regional and national rankings. They are offering a free 1 day membership to get everyones feet wet. Practice sessions carry a $5 charge that goes toward track up-keep.

I worked on the track personally all this weekend and it's very nice. The dirt they built it with has been one of the best I've worked with in Michigan witch a nice mixture of clay and sand. The track set up is a longer one than normal with the common three turn four straight set up. The largest attraction is defiantly the rhythm section!

The gate will shoot you out to a step-up to step-down which will lead you to a step-up with an added roller (Basically two triples). There then is a tall and fast right hander which will point you too a large table-top that will set you up for a two more large doubles. After the second double you will take an even larger left turn berm to (what I think) is the longest and most technical rhythm section in all of Michigan. The straight consists of a step up to three whoops too a step down to two whoops to a table top then to three more whoops before a hard right berm. The whole straight isn't exactly straight either! The double whoops to the table top carry slightly to the left! After the hard right hander the track finishes up with two more double jumps that finally bring you to the finish line.