short timer
    Jul 2008

2013 Keweenaw MTB Festivals ?

My wife and I are planning a trip out to Keweenaw County for a couple weeks of biking. We’re trying to plan our trip around either the Keweenaw Chain Drive Festival in June or the Ore to Shore Epic in August.
    Both sound like great events. The Ore to Shore website describes the last twenty miles as gradual downhill. Fun, (maybe not as much fun spinning on a single speed?) Chain Drive Fest has a single speed category, a plus. The course elevation graph looks challenging. Is mid June the start of tourist season? Pros / Cons on either? Which is the better time of year to visit?
    Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Both are fun and both have SS categories, O2S is actually a super fun race on a SS I run Ice man gearing for it, so rather big, there are climbs but not enough to gear around.

mtbr member
    Havent done Keweenaw but have done O2S 8 times. O2S is a well supported event. The town is full of riders and the race and atmosphere is fantastic.

short timer
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the race info! Any logistical info? We'll most likely be camping... more biker friendly. close to trail systems and such. Breweries should be easy to locate ... hoping to make a visit to Founders on the way if possible. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    fixed it thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    Chain Drive and Ore to Shore are two very different events. Chain Drive is mostly singletrack with a small field of competitors while Ore to Shore is a very large race run mostly on two track, roads and minimal singletrack. Both great events. If you are coming to the Keweenaw, I would suggest camping at Hancock Beach or McClain Park for Chain Drive and then head up to Copper Harbor for some riding (camp at Fort Wilkins). In Marquette, Tourist Park is right in town and adjacent to the O2S course. Breweries are easily located Weather is typically ~70 + for Chain Drive and similar for O2S. As another option you could bookmark your week by riding the Great Deer Chase at the Swedetown Trails in Calumet and the O2S that are on weekends after each other. The other race to consider would be the Copper Harbor Trails Festival on Labor Day Weekend, always the highlight of the riding season! Please let me know if you need any additional information. Also, just an FYI, consider coming the week before Chain Drive as all of the hotels are booked the week after Chain Drive for FinnFest 2013.

short timer
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by w8n2ski View Post
    Chain Drive and Ore to Shore are two very different events. Chain Drive is mostly singletrack with a small field of competitors while Ore to Shore is a very large race run mostly on two track, roads and minimal singletrack. Both great events. If you are coming to the Keweenaw, I would suggest camping at Hancock Beach or McClain Park for Chain Drive and then head up to Copper Harbor for some riding (camp at Fort Wilkins). In Marquette, Tourist Park is right in town and adjacent to the O2S course. Breweries are easily located Weather is typically ~70 + for Chain Drive and similar for O2S. As another option you could bookmark your week by riding the Great Deer Chase at the Swedetown Trails in Calumet and the O2S that are on weekends after each other. The other race to consider would be the Copper Harbor Trails Festival on Labor Day Weekend, always the highlight of the riding season! Please let me know if you need any additional information. Also, just an FYI, consider coming the week before Chain Drive as all of the hotels are booked the week after Chain Drive for FinnFest 2013.
    Thanks! I had already scheduled around the Chain Drive event before I saw your response. It all looks good! Appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Don't forget about the The Bell's Trail Festival at Copper Harbor formally The Fat Tire Festival!

mtbr member
    Are the trails open to explore throughout the weekend prior to the race on Sunday(Bell's Beer Festival)? I've got the following week off and have been itching to get up there. I'd probably run the race, but am more interested in learning the trails and having fun.

The cap of 500 riders has me thinking this might be a bit too busy for my liking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It is a great weekend of riding and the trails are open before and after each race. It is also a great weekend to be in Copper Harbor.