mtbr member
    Dec 2007

2011 vacation location needed

I am looking to plan a family vacation to the U.P. next summer. My wife and I were both born in MI, and would like to take our kids there to experience the beauty of the north (we have lived in Fl for the past 30 years). Can anyone give any advice on where we could find a lakefront house/cabin for weekly rental that has decent singletrack available right out the door?

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    Check out Copper Harbor, I don't know any places to stay but they shouldn't be hard to find. The single track is amazing, I guarantee that you'll enjoy it. The only problem (not for me but for some people) is that your basically in the middle nowhere so there's not much to do if your not into the wilderness.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Marquette would be a good choice too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy66
    Can anyone give any advice on where we could find a lakefront house/cabin for weekly rental that has decent singletrack available right out the door?
    Harlow Lake Cabins come to mind. The Top-of-the-world + Jedi loop runs literally right by them. Here's a link:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...6754--,00.html

That said, I'll second the recommendation to look at Copper Harbor. IMBA recently declared the Copper Harbor trail system to be a so-called "Epic" trail system:

http://www.imba.com/epics/copper-harbor-trails

They've done some superb work up there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I like the look of Copper Harbor. Houghton looks like a good place to stay in the area. Next question is, any bike rental in the area? Could bring mine on the plane if necessary.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Check out Cedar Point cabins on Lake Bailey. I have stayed there the last two years and it is a wonderful place. Cabins are typical for the UP but they are alway clean and the price is very resonable. You are about 10 miles from Copper Harbor and 25-30 Minutes from Calumet that also has some wonderful singletracks that are not as intense as Copper Harbor. Also there is fishing, canoeing on the lake.

http://www.cedarpointcabins.net/rates.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the heads up on the cedar point cabins. Look nice. Reminds me a lot of the a place we lived in on Otsego lake when I was a kid. Great memories like these are the ones I am trying to recreate for my family. I am very excited about planning this trip and thanks those of you that have offered your advice.