Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,288

    Wow! New 4X site in Mexico :)

    Today I went to Ajusco, which is a national park close to Mexico City. I was going to met a friend, but I got up early, prepared everything (well, most of), and, because I had some time to spare, I was going to rest a little, but, unfortunately, I fell asleap, and I was late at San Nicolás Totoloapan in the Ajusco region. So, I had no friend to ride with, actually, I hope I still have that friend .

    It was a beautifull day, not too sunny, but no clouds. The terrain was perfect, not too dry, but no mud! yeaaah!!!! I was riding along, got about a 2 km or so, when I remembered that I was supposet to lube my chain before heading out. Eeek! I returned to the car via another route, lubed the bike and continued on.

    I had also replaced my stem from 110mm for a 90mm. I'm not sure I liked the swap, so I'll give it a try with my new setup, else the 110 is returning.

    My goal was to get to the 'La Virgen' site. It's about 5 km from the trailhead, but it's uphill all the way. I'm attaching a map, where it shows that from the trailhead to La Virgen is a 310 meter altitude difference, where 210 mts of it it's in the last mile or so. So it's pretty heavy (for me), but it's great when you get up there!

    Talking with some guys up there, some told us that one of them fell on the 4X course. I didn't know about it, and he told me where it was. Now, it was about a mile or less from the trailhead. When I headed back, I stopped at a food stop, and had some Quesadillas. From this site, I was able to see the 4X course. I don't know if it was good or not, but it was fun looking at the people riding it. The people were most doing it for fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,288
    Here's the 4X course
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,288
    Here's a view of Mexico City from La Virgen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,288
    Here's a pic of the trails (I only did fireroads, no singletrack this time).
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,288
    Here are pics from another day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,647
    Nice!!!

    I'll get to ride the 4x track one of these days.

    We had some Chiluca action today. As you said, weather was perfect and no much sun to complain of. Trails are dry now. At least up to the Monolito where went up to.

    A friend of us (Adrian, our kiwi ambassador) took some terrific pics and some video

    Monolito is a freaking huge hillclimb, but worth the effort with the downhill singletrack. Very nice actually. To be sincere is good for some beginner to intermediate level. Not much tech stuff up or down, but the trail is very fun.

    Pic and videos will come.

    Gosh!! We even had some cowbell!!! Honestly!!!
    Check my Site

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,579
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Here's the 4X course
    hey rzozaya

    i will be in mexico/texcoco in three weeks time...i will try to make it over to this area, have never been over to ajusco...is there any place to rent a decent mtn bike in mexico? love to spend a day on the trail there
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

  8. #8
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Nice!!!

    I'll get to ride the 4x track one of these days.

    We had some Chiluca action today. As you said, weather was perfect and no much sun to complain of. Trails are dry now. At least up to the Monolito where went up to.

    A friend of us (Adrian, our kiwi ambassador) took some terrific pics and some video

    Monolito is a freaking huge hillclimb, but worth the effort with the downhill singletrack. Very nice actually. To be sincere is good for some beginner to intermediate level. Not much tech stuff up or down, but the trail is very fun.

    Pic and videos will come.

    Gosh!! We even had some cowbell!!! Honestly!!!
    Jajaja , I knew you would read it! It was pretty nice ride. Those pics of your ride would be great!

    Have fun

  9. #9
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,288
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    hey rzozaya

    i will be in mexico/texcoco in three weeks time...i will try to make it over to this area, have never been over to ajusco...is there any place to rent a decent mtn bike in mexico? love to spend a day on the trail there
    Do you come often to Mexico? PM me and if you come maybe we can arrange a ride for you.

    Unfortunately, I haven't seen many places that rent bikes. There is a shop near Chiluca that rented bikes a hile ago, but I haven't seen how they are maintained, or which models they have. The shop sells Kona and Fuji.

    http://www.zooperbike.com.mx/

    In the Ajusco someone told me that they rented bikes also, but that they were very low end and no that good working, so I don't think that would be a good option

  10. #10
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,647
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    In the Ajusco someone told me that they rented bikes also, but that they were very low end and no that good working, so I don't think that would be a good option
    Can I join your ride, guys??

    Ajusco bikes are not worthy. Wally-world level bikes.

    Let us know when you're coming and we'll arrange something.
    Check my Site

  11. #11
    Now with 3 more inches!
    Reputation: tigerdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    hey rzozaya

    i will be in mexico/texcoco in three weeks time...i will try to make it over to this area, have never been over to ajusco...is there any place to rent a decent mtn bike in mexico? love to spend a day on the trail there
    What size are you?

  12. #12
    Me hates pinchflat
    Reputation: 545cu4ch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,419
    Yeah I have seen that 4X track. I think they made it for the Campeonato Panamericano, which was a few weeks ago. They also added some more jumps to the dh course.
    I live 8 km from there so I can go whenever I please
    Last edited by 545cu4ch; 11-07-2005 at 05:13 PM.

  13. #13
    Mexican e-rider
    Reputation: elmadaleno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    977

    Been there

    I was there this Saturday! Boy the climb up to the Virgen is tough, I went alone but hooked up with a group there and came down via the "downhilito". Boy that was fun! It is a very short singletrack, it winds a lot and its full of jumps!
    "Hell, the Titus Moderator can't pass a cantina without gettin' the shakes"

  14. #14
    Mexican e-rider
    Reputation: elmadaleno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    977

    adamantane

    BTW, if you are over 6' I might be able to hook you up with a ride
    "Hell, the Titus Moderator can't pass a cantina without gettin' the shakes"

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,579
    buenas noches

    thanks for replying guys...i'm 5 ft 9 in...please don't go out of your way, just a thought..i'll be down Nov 21 - Nov 27...i'll pack my helmet, shoes and pedals just in case...pm me so i can get your phone number

    the city might be pretty cool to urban terrorize, can you take bikes on that subway
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

  16. #16
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,647
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    buenas noches

    thanks for replying guys...i'm 5 ft 9 in...please don't go out of your way, just a thought..i'll be down Nov 21 - Nov 27...i'll pack my helmet, shoes and pedals just in case...pm me so i can get your phone number

    the city might be pretty cool to urban terrorize, can you take bikes on that subway
    Only on sundays and the rule book says no riding at Metro Stations. Bummer.

    You need an M frame and are the same size as I do. I can hook you up on one if you don't mind URT's. If I'm not available for riding, you can use my Warp.

    We can do rides north or south the city. So, we'll see.

    My account is open to e-mail so, drop me a line whenever you want it.
    Check my Site

  17. #17
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,288
    Quote Originally Posted by elmadaleno
    I was there this Saturday! Boy the climb up to the Virgen is tough, I went alone but hooked up with a group there and came down via the "downhilito". Boy that was fun! It is a very short singletrack, it winds a lot and its full of jumps!
    Yep, it's a short one in Km, but the altitude gain is tough!

    I sort of wanted to go beyond the Virgen, but I went alone, and prefered to go there with more guys (or at least another rider). I don't know the downhilito, but what I've done is head up la Virgen, and head right in the next trail and meet back at the canoas.

  18. #18
    Me hates pinchflat
    Reputation: 545cu4ch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,419
    It is very cool goingbeyond la virgen. You can get to the downhill course from the highest part of the park, although you have to do about another 5km of climbin (not so tough though) from la virgen. You also get to see 2 beautiful small valleys on the way up there.
    Last edited by 545cu4ch; 11-08-2005 at 09:20 AM. Reason: sp

  19. #19
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,288
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    It is very cool goingbeyond la virgen. You can get to the downhill course from the highest part of the park, although you have to do about another 5km of climbin (not so tough though) from la virgen. You also get to see 2 beautiful small valleys on the way up there.
    I've been like two times beyond La Virgen. The first time we climbed until a crossing (I think that if we take a left there we go to the downhilito) and then turned right to make a circuit, and the other we took a right before that and met that circuit a little lower.

    Now, about that 5 km not so tough, it's paraphrasing some mexican saying 'no es lo duro sino lo tupido' But yes, it's worth it. I was really thinking of going this time, but I'm not that confortable going alone there. Mostly is because I think there's less people there. But next time I want to do it.

  20. #20
    Mexican e-rider
    Reputation: elmadaleno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    977
    I usually ride up to the Virgen and take the next right after that it leads you down to the same road that leads to the Virgen (maybe half way). If you take the road to the Virgen from this spot going down yuo will find a bifurcation in the road, take it (to the right) and it will take you right to the "Downhilito".

    Unfortunately this Saturday I wasn't feeling very good so I passed on climbing any more than I had!
    "Hell, the Titus Moderator can't pass a cantina without gettin' the shakes"

  21. #21
    Me hates pinchflat
    Reputation: 545cu4ch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,419
    Do you know where "la pared" is? Ive heard its a very tough climb but I dont knwo where it is.

  22. #22
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,647
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    Do you know where "la pared" is? Ive heard its a very tough climb but I dont knwo where it is.
    Desierto de los Leones... up to the way to Cerro de San Miguel. Yup.. it's tough. San Miguel's summit is 12,300ft. I went up there once when I was young and stupid. My buddy and I took over La Pared as we didn't know the singletrack that borders the mountain instead of La Pared. I still don't know the singletrack up there.

    Simply, at the place where the quecas are, instead of turning right and crossing the stream towards the Valle de los Conejos, keep going on the main fireroad.... you'll regret it soon. It's freaking steep and miserably long.
    Check my Site

  23. #23
    Mexican e-rider
    Reputation: elmadaleno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    Do you know where "la pared" is? Ive heard its a very tough climb but I dont knwo where it is.
    There is also a "Pared" in the Ajusco, just keep on going uphill after the Virgen and it will find you. You will regret it for sure!
    "Hell, the Titus Moderator can't pass a cantina without gettin' the shakes"

  24. #24
    Me hates pinchflat
    Reputation: 545cu4ch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,419
    Yeah I meant about that one, although the one in the Desierto sounds cool. I have gone farther away from la Virgen, but I have not encountered a very steep climb after that, just a pretty tough part with lots of gravel. Very hard to get on the bike again if you dismount. Is that it?

  25. #25
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,288
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    Yeah I meant about that one, although the one in the Desierto sounds cool. I have gone farther away from la Virgen, but I have not encountered a very steep climb after that, just a pretty tough part with lots of gravel. Very hard to get on the bike again if you dismount. Is that it?
    I think that most riding trails have a 'La Pared'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •