Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "El Whatever"

Why is this forum in English???

Hi all of you!!!

The difficult question that makes the title of this thread had been raised several times. So I decided to make a sticky of this thread. That's for everybody to know.

Sorry if I'm not eloquent or a good writer. I know my diplomacy sucks big time and I will apologize in advance for that.

Some time ago, I replied to this very same question. Maybe it's not the best way to say it, but those are the real reasons.

Here's the reply I made a while ago again:

---------------

"As for your question.... it's a bit complicated but here I go.

Firstly, this forum is hosted in the US. Is part of MTBR.com and it's based in the US. They were kind enough to share their space with us to share our stuff with people from all over the world.

This ensures that we can give exposure to mtb in Mexico. I'm sure you know how many people from outside Mexico wants to come to ride down here. It also serves to de-mithify some bad histories about our country. You know there are and some hold a bit of truth, some are just exagerations.

On the other hand.... I'm kind of sad because it being in english limits the access to people from Mexico, which is very sad indeed. This site could really lift-off like a rocket if we could get spanish content in because the MTB scene in our country is much stronger than we imagine.

I guess we have to walk a mile in someone else's shoes... Let's say there would be forums for Russia, to give an example. Would you feel comfortable visiting a page in Russian?? I think we'd look at the pics and would try to understand some words... but we would never get what's going on! You'd be clueless if you were trying to go to live and ride in Russia or to have a MTB vacation there.

Additionally... we already had problems with one xenophobe guy who was whining because we posted Mexico stuff on the passion board. He was arguing about us invading California and now these boards.... we don't want that kind of fights, exposure or feelings.

Let's get it started, let's gain momentum and if the forum grows up maybe we could make a sub-forum or something alike in Spanish. I'd really love to. Believe me my heart is put there and I'd like more people from Mexico would enjoy this forum.

I wish also, there could be a similar board in Mexico. I saw the one from some downhill group which is very good, has lots of activity and has a similar format. It would be good to have such thing but for all kind of MTB, not only DH/FR... it takes money and resources, though.

Thanks for asking Lalo (Note: This reply was originally directed to Lalo from Xinte)... This is an issue that's really making me loose some sleep. I hope everybody understand the reasons behind it. It's not discrimination or "malinchismo". It's not something I pulled out of a hat.

Again, thanks for your understanding."

------------

Once more, please let's wait to get more exposure, more people here. This board is brand new!!! It's around two months old now only.

Please be patient... let's increase our numbers. Let's be more participative.

Then we can start making concrete plans to get this or another board in spanish.

And once more... thanks for coming down here and thanks for your understanding!!

See you on the trails!
    Warp
    Check my Site

moaaar shimz
    If you really want a forum in spanish I think I could install one and set it up but I would have to use somebody elses credit card to buy a domain.

I believe there should be some threads for Mexicans only in which we speak spanish. These theads would be about dates and places where we get together to ride... I think other people outside Mexico wouldn't be so interested in small gatherings so it wouldn't matter.

Writing in english sometimes may seem difficult but its okay, after all we improve our writing and still can be part of a english-speaking mtb community.

tacubaya

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    If you really want a forum in spanish I think I could install one and set it up but I would have to use somebody elses credit card to buy a domain.

I believe there should be some threads for Mexicans only in which we speak spanish. These theads would be about dates and places where we get together to ride... I think other people outside Mexico wouldn't be so interested in small gatherings so it wouldn't matter.

Writing in english sometimes may seem difficult but its okay, after all we improve our writing and still can be part of a english-speaking mtb community.

tacubaya
    How do a non-spanish speaker knows if a thread is a bike stuff discussion or a ride meeting???
    Check my Site

moaaar shimz
    write the thread title in english and then something like *spanish only*

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    write the thread title in english and then something like *spanish only*
    Doesn't that sound limiting or discriminating??
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Clear as water

You are totaly right, this forum is not only for spanish speking people , but
    for the rest of the world to came and enjoy our beautiful land or at least have
    an idea of whats goin on here.
    So for the mean time lets show some respect to the people who made this page
    and keep it in english

locked - time out

Ok Mr. Pancho

Tocayo:

Porque no pensar en crear en este foro dos sub-foros uno en español y otro en ingles...

Las razones que se dan son ams que entendibles además que con la globalización y que este deporte su origen y en su mayor*a es de lengua anglosajona, es valido escribir en inglés...

Pero, creo que se tendr*a un numero de grupo mayor si se manejara en español también... creo que as* crecer*a el grupo en menos tiempo...

Me da la sensación que la mayoria piensa que este foro de México se creó para los extranjeros y no para los mexicanos que es la idea principal... pienso que puede haber una solución equitativa para todos... porque al final lo que nos une es el interés por el MTB y pienso tambien que si alguién que no sabe español esta leiendo este mensaje... dirá:what happen? creo tambien que mucha gente no se anima a inscribirse y a participar porque no domina bien el idioma inglés como un servidor pero la lucha se le hace. jejeje

Bien, es mi humilde opinión y espero ayude a mejorar a este gran foro. creo que tiene mucho que dar todavia y aún falta más por hacer... pero las ganas y las mejores intenciones ah* están

Sugerencias son bienvenidas

Saludos a todos!

Sir Ranazzotti.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    How do a non-spanish speaker knows if a thread is a bike stuff discussion or a ride meeting???
    Es simple .... si alguien esta interesado en saber de partes de México creo que aqui tenemos la gente adecuada para que se pueda comunicar.... creo que para abrir un nuevo post se puede hacer bilingûe.... y de ahi partir la discución o consulta.... quien lo quiera tomar cada quien en su idioma adoptivo...

es una solución practica y sencilla.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Doesn't that sound limiting or discriminating??
    Yup, it does.

The way I see it, the only solution would be posting in both english AND spanish when planning gatherings. That way the non-english spearkers would know about the gathering details.

I dunno how efficient this would be, though. First, someone with a very basic english level can understand the where's, when's, and who's of any gathering. Second, no one with a less-than-basic english level is gonna take a look at this forum if we don´t post everything in spanish (as well as in english).

I would be willing to post in english and spanish as long as everybody do the same (at least for the mexican forumites). I think that could greatly increase the number of mexicans forumites.

This forum could also become the "learning-spanish" forum for our visitors from the north and overseas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKY_RENE
    Tocayo:

Porque no pensar en crear en este foro dos sub-foros uno en español y otro en ingles...

Las razones que se dan son ams que entendibles además que con la globalización y que este deporte su origen y en su mayorêa es de lengua anglosajona, es valido escribir en inglés...

Pero, creo que se tendrêa un numero de grupo mayor si se manejara en español también... creo que asê crecerêa el grupo en menos tiempo...

Me da la sensación que la mayoria piensa que este foro de México se creó para los extranjeros y no para los mexicanos que es la idea principal... pienso que puede haber una solución equitativa para todos... porque al final lo que nos une es el interés por el MTB y pienso tambien que si alguién que no sabe español esta leiendo este mensaje... dirá:what happen? creo tambien que mucha gente no se anima a inscribirse y a participar porque no domina bien el idioma inglés como un servidor pero la lucha se le hace. jejeje

Bien, es mi humilde opinión y espero ayude a mejorar a este gran foro. creo que tiene mucho que dar todavia y aún falta más por hacer... pero las ganas y las mejores intenciones ahê están

Sugerencias son bienvenidas

Saludos a todos!

Sir Ranazzotti.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rocky Rene or Sir Ranazzotti

Sir Ranazzotti sounds good , from now you are one of The Round Table Bikers .

the last biker.

Dysfuncional Rider
    Nov 2005
    Whats the big deal with all this? I got no probs with people writing in Spanish or English... even though I can´t understand either.

I´m sure 99% of people don´t read even 5% of the posts...so ...just chill. and if you still have trouble look for the posts with the camera icon! And if your super nosey and need to know everything....then get yourself a pinche chingao education...like I´m trying to do.

It´s not about respect -it´s about chill out and read what ya can, or read another post if you can´t. (Not like there is a shortage here!!!) Nothing more than that...now wheres my damn bolt cutters?

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by aids
    Whats the big deal with all this? I got no probs with people writing in Spanish or English... even though I can´t understand either.

I´m sure 99% of people don´t read even 5% of the posts...so ...just chill. and if you still have trouble look for the posts with the camera icon! And if your super nosey and need to know everything....then get yourself a pinche chingao education...like I´m trying to do.

It´s not about respect -it´s about chill out and read what ya can, or read another post if you can´t. (Not like there is a shortage here!!!) Nothing more than that...now wheres my damn bolt cutters?

Yes, we'd need to translate every thread into Kiwi too.

I think a gathering thread in Spanish might not be a bad idea, we want as many people as possible to turn up.

Dysfuncional Rider
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog
    Yes, we'd need to translate every thread into Kiwi too.

I think a gathering thread in Spanish might not be a bad idea, we want as many people as possible to turn up.
    Yeah struth mate, too right.
    Well I´m garn down ta check me pots n see if I can have some crays for tucker mate.
    Choice.

Get a big dog up ya!
    (well I´ve that it, but I´m still not sure what that means or if it was meant to be said to a passing ***** on heat.)

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by the last biker
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rocky Rene or Sir Ranazzotti

Sir Ranazzotti sounds good , from now you are one of The Round Table Bikers .

the last biker.
    Oh yeah! sound great! Sir Ranazzotti : The Round Table Biker

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe we can be " THE ROUND TABLE BIKERS "

Starring :
    Rocky René ......as Sir Ranazzotti
    ¿ ? -......as Sir Gallahad
    ¿ ? ......as Sir Lanzarot
    ¿ ? .......as Sir Cunsición
    ¿ ? ........as Sir Co
    ¿ ? ........as Sir Viente
    ¿ ? ........as Sir Kulo
    ¿ ? ........as Sir Cuito
    ¿ ? .........as Sir Ena
    ¿ ? .........as Sir io

please , select one .

The last biker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starring :
    Rocky René ......as Sir Ranazzotti
    ¿ ? .......as Sir Cunsición
    ¿ ? ........as Sir Co
    ¿ ? ........as Sir Kulo
    ¿ ? ........as Sir Cuito
    ¿ ? .........as Sir Ena
    ¿ ? .........as Sir io

please , select one .

The last biker.

Now with 3 more inches!
    Aids = Sir Fallsalot

locked - time out
    [QUOTE=the last biker]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAHAHA!
    Starring :
    Rocky René ......as Sir Ranazzotti Yeah!
    ¿ ? .......as Sir Cunsición Auch!
    ¿ ? ........as Sir Co
    ¿ ? ........as Sir Kulo What!?
    ¿ ? ........as Sir Cuito
    ¿ ? .........as Sir Ena
    ¿ ? .........as Sir io
    I´m Add: ¿ ? .........as Sir Uelo

Como simepre una gota de sabidur*a e ingenio de el gran Sir Last Biker

moaaar shimz
    I'm Sir Ia or Sir Acusa

hahaha look in the dictionary Sirle... I dunno who can take that honourable name...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Can you translate your Spanish posts into Aussie for me ?
    Post in Spanish... post in English. The English will read what they can.
    The Mexico board deserves a bit of both.

[QUOTE=1]Lalo [/QUOTE]
    Sir Vientre De Chabelo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghandalf The Grey Spammer
    [SIZE="2"]One[/SIZE] [SIZE="3"]Spam [/SIZE][SIZE="4"]To[/SIZE] [SIZE="5"]Rule[/SIZE] [SIZE="6"]Them[/SIZE] [SIZE="7"]All[/SIZE]
    ------
    Sram Mars Arms.............................................. ..... SPAM!

locked - time out
    Ok in the weekend.. yes I´m ... I´m Sir Vienta... (cha cha )

Sad but true!

Sir Ranazzotti

english is the new latin

In a couple of thousand years nobody will speak it.
    semper ad excelsum

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I say fire away with the espanol. If someone wants to know what is being said....they can go to babelfish and copy, paste and translate it...into most any languages...
    " No! try not, Do or do not. There is no try. "

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by huastecanbike
    You are totaly right, this forum is not only for spanish speking people , but
    for the rest of the world to came and enjoy our beautiful land or at least have
    an idea of whats goin on here.
    So for the mean time lets show some respect to the people who made this page
    and keep it in english

What is there to show respect for...? This is a public forum and you can use it. I live in the EU and I am Mexica and I just use the thing, No need to be reverent, we are talking about mountain bikes here, This is not the ONU Ultimadamente the sponsors are the manufacturers that we all buy from whether we are here or in China. Don't put up with Bull, just post away in any language you want. What are they gonna do block you out? You just get an different e-mail address and done.
    I want to see them put something saying: This forum is for White, republican, afluent, males... Let them build a wall and well paint on it again...

I don't mean to be misunderstood. Someone up there had the right idea and that is post in english or both english and spanish for the sake of ensuring that everyone understands and hopefully participates in this forum. NOT because someone is getting pissed off because you are speaking your own language, comunicationg with your own. Keep in mind that those who get all hot and bothered all post here FOR FREE. Anytime you buy a bike, fork, etc, you are sponsoring the forum to some extent, same as everyone else.

Paz, amor y fuerza...
    Last edited by Alpinevelo; 04-13-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast