Dysfuncional Rider
    Nov 2005

at least..

...the both of us were relaxed and not stressful, it can be a real pain with a type A personality. Full marks to me and Jose Luis for making it to the car before dark...now darkness would have been really interesting.

Dysfuncional Rider
    Nov 2005

The rEaL Discovery trail.

Well my last ride for the year was meant to be with the siamese Rene twins, but theymanaged to find other distractions so I took it upon myself to head up to Chiluca with a friend and show him the trail I had ridden recently which impressed the hell out of me - namely the "Discovery trail."

Well Jose Luis and set out at a leasurely 10 am (after JL got a flat in his car on the way). It was a the last Tuesday of the year and very quiet up at the trail head.
    we set of up the ojos and then tentativelyy found our way to Espiritu Santo with only a few minor indecisions..but no wrong tracks, it´s the first time I rode without the Human GPS system formerly known as Oscar, or the other guys who have memories better than my drug addled brains one.

Well the ride back was pretty new to me, I have just done it again yesterday and now know I missed a sweet little shaded forest downhill early on, but I managed to get the first half done pretty well right..down the shingle roads, running the gauntlet of the whipping tree bastards from hell...(more than a few cuts, I really need to get some gloves), and up the leg breaker.

Well from there it went wrong, after the leg breaker you arrive at a road.
    Some advice:
    Don´t go accross it and downhill past the donkey to end soon in someones back yard with no trail and then back up to the road.
    Don´t ride past the new church along the road (although at least I was riding the correct direction) the turn off I now know is just before the church and through the blue barrel.
    Don´t ask the locals a further half mile down the road where to go, they will tell you to head down to the river and then cross it and find a track. They are evil people who´s only wish is to cause pain and suffering to stray mountain bikers.
    Don´t ride down the hill with no tracks, this should be some indication to you. When you get to the bottom and cross the river (by the tree without the guide rope if you have the dexterity) go to the left, you are already well left.
    Don´t climb up a hill that goes knowwhere...when you get over the top and find a sealed road that runs downhill, first realise you have to cross some properties fences to get there,around the tennis courts and pools.. Then don´t go down hill...it´s the wrong way (It leads to a dead end after a lovely ride down for a K.
    At the dead end, don´t take the pizza delivery boys advice to go cross country to chiluca. This by is obviously smoking some good **** because there is no discernable route after you have explored the new mud road developments. You head down these, and then get to a dead end, no, routes, no roads, just lots of trees...and if you´re lucky, a small gorge to make the crossing that much more fun.
    Well we had seen the Chiluca hill, so we headed ad the drunken crow flys, through trees and up bluffs as straight as we could..carrying our bikes through heavy underbrush, fighting all the way. After about 4 hours of this we finally saw the dome (cleverly we followed the transmission lines and got to a bit of a downhill after climbing our second hill in the way of the car.)
    So a ride that should take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours took us 5 and 1/4.

But it was a real discovery.

If anyone wants to follow this new route and needs more details, please feel free to ask me.

"El Whatever"
    Cool write up!! I laughed my nuts off!!

I'll take that into consideration for the next ride to the Discovery!
    Check my Site

Now with 3 more inches!
    Excellent post, Aidrian.

I'd like to see pics of some of these new trails!

I've been there and done that too many times here in Mexico. The thing I love is that people are more than happy to spend 5 minutes explaining to the crazy gringo which way to go, even though their enthusiasm to help often far outweighs their local trail knowledge.

If I could figure out a way to safely attach a machete to my camelbak, I'd bring one every time. You never know when you'll need to cut a new trail.

Of course it's a lot easier when the human GPS is there!

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by aids
    Don´t go accross it and downhill past the donkey to end soon in someones back yard with no trail and then back up to the road.
    Hi Aids, what if the Donkey moves? He's known to do that to distract the unwary mountain biker and lead him on a wild goose chase.

Nice writing, it was pretty fun! I'm sorry I couldn't make it.

Dysfuncional Rider
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Hi Aids, what if the Donkey moves? He's known to do that to distract the unwary mountain biker and lead him on a wild goose chase.

Nice writing, it was pretty fun! I'm sorry I couldn't make it.
    I´m sorry you didn´t make it in my place!!

The Donkey is on a rope, and by the look of him he was pretty well established there for the last 20 years, but, if he moves, I am sure you can have an equally diverting diversion, unless by some remarkable co-incidence he moved to the start of the real track!!

(If only...sigh)

Well I´ll give him your regards next time I´m lost.
    Got to see you again soon!! Been too long.