Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mountainking_71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    394

    Que onda con las tubeless Whats the deal with them?

    Whats up people!

    I was wondering If you guys are using or have used that kind of tires and if so
    What your experience has been with them?

    Are easy to fix when they get flat?
    Are they hard to mount?
    Do they requiere any special kind of care?

    Any way whats the deal with them in general . I would really apreciate your Input

  2. #2
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,759
    I used "converted tires" for a while..... but I like testing new tires too much to be switching sealant every time.

    you get less flats for sure.... depending on the tire they can be hard to mount (UST tires need proper technique to be mounted easily)

    when you do get a flat (rarely) you can still put a tube in and go along...
    Last edited by crisillo; 01-18-2008 at 12:54 PM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mountainking_71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    when you do get a flat (rarely) you can still put a tube in and go along...
    In that case you would have to dismount the valve on the rim right and would the valve on the tube fit easily trough the rims whole? or would you have to make it biger?

  4. #4
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,759
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainking_71
    In that case you would have to dismount the valve on the rim right and would the valve on the tube fit easily trough the rims whole? or would you have to make it biger?

    the valve on the sealing strip or UST rim and the one on your tube are of the same size....

    depending on the system you used to convert your rim (like with Stans), you might need to remove the strip. but with UST rims and Eclipse, you can just remove the valve and insert a tube.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mountainking_71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    394
    Great dude

    Thanx a bunch

  6. #6
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,759
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainking_71
    Great dude

    Thanx a bunch
    no prob!

  7. #7
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,664
    If you ride on a place with tons of thorns, that's the only way to go.

    If you don't, the advantages/drawbacks come more into place.

    You can go ghetto tubeless... but the sidewalls on some tyres may not be good enough. They'll work, but you'll need to run higher pressures as the sidewall or casing does not give enough support.

    I'd say ghetto tubeless with UST is the real deal.

    UST on UST + sealant is the very best, but it could be a tad heavier (depending on rim/tyre combination) and is for sure more expensive.

    I, like Cris, change tyres a lot... so maybe it would not cut it for me. I'm still willing to try but Stan's sealant is very expensive and hard to find around here.

    Cris, do you know how good is the Slime for Tubeless??
    Not the thick gunk that goes into the tube.
    Check my Site

  8. #8
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp

    Cris, do you know how good is the Slime for Tubeless??
    Not the thick gunk that goes into the tube.

    I have no idea..I never tried it... I only used Stans or Ecllipse sealant...... I have though about converting the 4.2d's on the Salty, since I already have the Eclipse rim strips....

  9. #9
    Long Distance MTB
    Reputation: rimugu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Cris, do you know how good is the Slime for Tubeless??
    Not the thick gunk that goes into the tube.
    I am not cris, but let me tell you my experience.
    I have run IRC serac UST tires in UST rims with Slime for a while. They have never let me down. I once a yellow car sealant and there was no problem either, except that onces I had a flat, pumped up again and retained air sufficiently to return home (only a couple miles left that day). With slime not even that.
    With Slime I got a flat over the off season (not touched the bike in about two months). I just pumped again and that was it, have never repaired a flat in a UST tire.
    I have an innovation inflator and a crank bros pump and carry a spare tube (50 miles from civilization is a bad place to be without tools . Have never used the inflator or the pump in the trail since changing to Slime (the tube has gone to clueless riders in need in a couple ocations) According to slime you only use 3oz per tire not 4oz like the tubed slime. In the middle of the season last year I though "its been more than a year since I put slime, maybe it is dry now. I unmounted the tires to scrap the dry sealant an put one, but there was not but a small amount dry, it seems to last much more than notubes. Since I already unmounted the tires I cleaned and filled new slime anyway.

  10. #10
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,664
    Quote Originally Posted by rimugu
    I am not cris, but let me tell you my experience.
    I have run IRC serac UST tires in UST rims with Slime for a while. They have never let me down. I once a yellow car sealant and there was no problem either, except that onces I had a flat, pumped up again and retained air sufficiently to return home (only a couple miles left that day). With slime not even that.
    With Slime I got a flat over the off season (not touched the bike in about two months). I just pumped again and that was it, have never repaired a flat in a UST tire.
    I have an innovation inflator and a crank bros pump and carry a spare tube (50 miles from civilization is a bad place to be without tools . Have never used the inflator or the pump in the trail since changing to Slime (the tube has gone to clueless riders in need in a couple ocations) According to slime you only use 3oz per tire not 4oz like the tubed slime. In the middle of the season last year I though "its been more than a year since I put slime, maybe it is dry now. I unmounted the tires to scrap the dry sealant an put one, but there was not but a small amount dry, it seems to last much more than notubes. Since I already unmounted the tires I cleaned and filled new slime anyway.
    Thank, bro!!

    I'm interested to see if they can seal a UST/non-UST on ghetto tubeless...

    I have no UST rims and no intentions to buy one soon.
    Check my Site

  11. #11
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp

    I'm interested to see if they can seal a UST/non-UST on ghetto tubeless...
    most sealants should be able to do it (even home-brew ones), as long as the hole is not huge (sealing the beads shouldn't be an issue)

  12. #12
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,664
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    most sealants should be able to do it (even home-brew ones), as long as the hole is not huge (sealing the beads shouldn't be an issue)
    The reason I ask is i'd be interested to try ghetto... and I already have a UST to try (first I have to repair THREE holes made by a nail ) and Slime for Tubeless is available even at auto-shops. They are the first thing you see when you enter a moto-shop... the big bright green stuff.

    What I've seen is the tubeless one is more liquid than the normal gunk. I'll give it a go maybe next week when my bike enters into the annual overhaul.
    Check my Site

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mountainking_71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    394
    [QUOTE=Warp]If you ride on a place with tons of thorns, that's the only way to go.

    If you don't, the advantages/drawbacks come more into place.

    QUOTE]

    Oh boy have we got thorns here. Ever heard of Huizache forest) neither have I
    but if that name could be aplied to a place it would have to be to this small part of the state of Michoacan we´ve got Huizaches on top of Huizaches here

    The rims that I have are some mavic ust crosstrails and the tires i´m plannig to get from benoto are some ust michellin all mountian´s

    would that combo do the job You think?

  14. #14
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    The reason I ask is i'd be interested to try ghetto... and I already have a UST to try (first I have to repair THREE holes made by a nail ) and Slime for Tubeless is available even at auto-shops. They are the first thing you see when you enter a moto-shop... the big bright green stuff.

    What I've seen is the tubeless one is more liquid than the normal gunk. I'll give it a go maybe next week when my bike enters into the annual overhaul.
    You said Tubeless was ghey.

    I guess you are gheyer than what I thought..

  15. #15
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,664
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    You said Tubeless was ghey.

    I guess you are gheyer than what I thought..
    Yes... and yes... It comes with age. Don't worry, it's just a matter of time.
    Check my Site

  16. #16
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,664
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainking_71

    Oh boy have we got thorns here. Ever heard of Huizache forest) neither have I
    but if that name could be aplied to a place it would have to be to this small part of the state of Michoacan we´ve got Huizaches on top of Huizaches here

    The rims that I have are some mavic ust crosstrails and the tires i´m plannig to get from benoto are some ust michellin all mountian´s

    would that combo do the job You think?
    Michelins seal pretty good, but just don't get the gray compound ones. Those are hit or miss... Some people has had terrible experiences with them, some others say they're good.

    From the AM line, maybe the AT would do better. The Mountain Xtreme is a "refrito" of the Hot S and uh... ah.. pretty much sucks. It's nice on the dry stuff, but scary on the wet. It corners fine, but brakes for shiat.

    Maybe Maxxis High Rollers LUST. I forgot the name of the store, but you mail order Geax TNT tyres. The Sturdy's are said to be very nice tyres.
    Check my Site

  17. #17
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,931
    For tubeless use Maxxis Dual ply 2.5's (1200 grams) with Stans and presto!

    Actually I thought Maxxis were heavy, but after checking many tire brands (Hutchinson, Specialized, Maxxis, Kenda, Schwalbe, Nokian) I think they are pretty fair..

  18. #18
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,664
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    For tubeless use Maxxis Dual ply 2.5's (1200 grams) with Stans and presto!

    Actually I thought Maxxis were heavy, but after checking many tire brands (Hutchinson, Specialized, Maxxis, Kenda, Schwalbe, Nokian) I think they are pretty fair..
    He's not into DH... 2.5" is overkill... He'll be better off with the LUST Series.

    Big Betty's 2.4" are 900grs... You can stick a HD tube there and it will not get to the 1200grs.

    Maxxis are not light, unless we're talking the XC-Racing tyres.

    Get over it... A 2.35" Rampage is 700grs. A High Roller 2.35" is 810grs. Yeah, "only" 110grs of difference, but the problem is the size of the High Roller is nowhere near the Rampage. Let's not mention a Kenda Nevegal 2.35", which is 60 full mm's wide and weighs 720grs.

    Nobody denies Maxxis makes nice tyres... But they're pigs compared to other options.

    Now, if we're talking DH tyres that's another tale... 200grs difference between a 1200 and a 1400grs tyre in a 40 pounds bike is nothing.

    But make it AM and "less" and you'll find that 100grs are a significant difference.
    Check my Site

  19. #19
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,931
    Depends on rim profile. Maxxis for All Mountain and downhill are pretty spot on on weight. They are known for very heavy duty sidewalls (dual ply).

    2.4 big betty would need a 400 gram tube to match a 2.5 dual ply maxxis strenght. And of course we know its better to have a 1200 gram tire with a 100 gram tube than a 2.4 single ply with a 400 gram tube.

    Comparing DH tires for the companies I mentioned, they are either the same weight as a Maxxis, or heavier.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mountainking_71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    394
    Im looking around 2.2 to 2.3 tires I think 2.5´s would be a little hard to ride up hill which is prety much from 30 to 40% of my average riding.´
    Dont know if that can be called All mountain but thats the Type of riding I like to do.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mountainking_71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    394
    [QUOTE=Warp]Michelins seal pretty good, but just don't get the gray compound ones. Those are hit or miss... QUOTE]

    I was looking at the black ones not the grey ones they look kinda kinda whats the word mm mm mm didnt recall it I would use the spanish one "Chafa" to me.

  22. #22
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,664
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Depends on rim profile. Maxxis for All Mountain and downhill are pretty spot on on weight. They are known for very heavy duty sidewalls (dual ply).
    OK... on the same rim (mine), the Maxxis were significantly smaller than other tyres that weighed less.

    Yes, they have strong sidewalls, but so does the Rampage for example. Yet, the Rampage weighs less and is bigger than the High Roller/DHF/any Maxxis in the same size.

    For DH, they may be spot on... but not for "lesser" riding.

    mtb71... the Michy's on the black compound will be good. The compound is rather hard and durable, so don't expect miracles in the wet but they're pretty good tyres.

    Garnier sports sells the Geax and they can ship to your door.
    http://garniersports.com.mx/producto...c4cbbf6871f6ce

    Look for the Sturdy and the Barro Mountain. Good tyres.

    Maxxis has the LUST series, but again, they come undersized. A 2.1" is like a 1.9" and weighs like a 2.1". Exception made for the ADvantage and Crossmark.

    Tribu can send them to you I think....
    http://www.tribu.com.mx/tiendita/ind...cPath=75_76_85
    Check my Site

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •