Hey everybody,

Figured I'd open the question up to the F88 crowd... anybody spent time traveling in Mexico? I'm desperately in need of a good 10-14 day vacation somewhere I haven't been, and I've always wanted to check out Mexico.

My original thought was going at it alone, backpacking, and taking my time. But I know almost nothing about traveling in Mexico (hence the question), including how easy it is to get around, find rooms on the spot, etc. So then I thought about taking a package tour, something like this...

http://www.caravantours.com/Tours/me...ient-tour.html

... but that kinda goes against my freewheeling travel sensability (I'd prefer the freedom and flexability to go at my own pace). If anyone knows of a particularly worthwhile/trustworthy travel company that offers packages in Mexico, I'm all ears.

So if anyone's done a backpacking trip through Mexico I'd LOVE to hear your input.

FWIW, I'm also interested in Mexico/Central/South America due to the favorable exhange rate/cost of travel. I'm looking to spend under $1500, and I'm not averse to hosteling and other low-frills accomidations. I'm also considering Belize (which I've heard is amazing), and other Central/South American destinations. All suggestions/locations are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Sean