Now with 3 more inches!

Oaxaca - Puerto Escondido Day 3 (long)

Continued from Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido - Day 2 (Long)

Well, it had been a miserable night for Brooke but she woke the next morning feeling much better but definitely in no condition to ride. Today would be a long hot bumpy ride down the logging road in the Jeep for her. It sucks to get sick in the middle of a trip like this.

new_day

la_familia

We all gathered for photos and home video outside the cabin before saying our farewells. Our hosts had been wonderful and we promised to return if we passed through again.

topoftheworld_pan

The start of the day's ride was a 2km climb to the ridgeline and the junction where we had turned off for the hospital the night before. Today would offer some of the most spectacular views as we snaked along from one side of the ridge to the other. We would also find some great little singletrack diversions along the way, one through some thick brush with lots of log obstacles. A helmet-cam is definitely top of my christmas wish-list now.

This would be another pretty long day at 70km, with very little flat as the ridge trail rose and fell.

pedro_3

cow

I attempted to perfect my high speed ride-by cow photography techniques but it still needs some work. At one point a big mudslide was blocking the way of the Jeep, but fortunately we didn't have to use the shovel as we found a diversion trail. As we descended to the next valley there were some rather treacherous areas where the trail had eroded to leave some deadly drops. Also there were some repair sections with planks bridging some nasty gaps just waiting for an unsuspecting front wheel.

vista_2

pedro_craig_3

We did some awesome high-speed descending on this day, the first long descent would be to our lunch-stop village.

rain

After lunch the heavens opened for a downpour that would last into the night. We'd have no choice but to get soaked on route to our campsite for the night. This would prove to be another highlight of the trip. The dirt road was more like a river and each dip provided a ford with an invisible bottom. It was axle deep in places. Goretex reached critical mass and we were totally drenched. In the movie "Orgazmo" it says there's nothing sadder than a sad Japanese man. Well, I think the sight of a soaked baby donkey stood, braying in the rain with his drenched ears flopping straight down beats it.

I was very glad of my disks on the descent to our destination. Both Craig and Pedro's vees were pretty useless by this point. Keeping up the rear, I saw Craig and Pedro fly past a farmer coming out of his field. He must have thought they'd be the only 2 people crazy enough to be out cycling that road today as when they passed he decided to cross. I shouted frantically at him to let him know I was there and narrowly avoided being beheaded by the huge machete across his back!

We had to make last minute rearrangements for the evening's accommodation. The original plan had been to camp by the river. That had become camping in the river, so Pedro arranged for us to set our tents up on the porch of a nearby house.

To be continued...
    Last edited by tigerdog; 07-25-2005 at 12:13 PM. Reason: wrong title