Bike to the Bone...

No more lizzard...aarrggghhh!!!

Hi Guys... the guy at Citybike told me that his supplier didn't ship the Lizzard and another bike... so I'm frame hunting again...

I talked to Abel, and I'm looking at some frames. The deal is, I need a HT that accepts a 130mm fork (or close to that).

I saw the Cove bike, but that would be too expensive (around 9,000?). The Voodoo frames accept 100mm forks, so I'm not sure about using my Fox there. Well, I might get a 100mm frame and set the Talas to that, but I would like to go higher.

Anyway, I'll update on what frame I finally decide....

Edit:
    Anyone know how much does it cost to mail a frame from the States to Mexico? I'm thinking I'm not going that route, but I just want to cover all bases. What about customs?
    Last edited by rzozaya1969; 06-21-2006 at 01:20 PM.

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Hi Guys... the guy at Citybike told me that his supplier didn't ship the Lizzard and another bike... so I'm frame hunting again...

I talked to Abel, and I'm looking at some frames. The deal is, I need a HT that accepts a 130mm fork (or close to that).

I saw the Cove bike, but that would be too expensive (around 9,000?). The Voodoo frames accept 100mm forks, so I'm not sure about using my Fox there. Well, I might get a 100mm frame and set the Talas to that, but I would like to go higher.

Edit:
    Anyone know how much does it cost to mail a frame from the States to Mexico? I'm thinking I'm not going that route, but I just want to cover all bases. What about customs?
    Damn, that sucks....
    How about an Azonic steelhead? Steel frame, adjustable dropouts, can handle a double crown fork.... They have it at Bici5 for 2700 pesos. Pretty cheap if you ask me!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Beatiful hardtail frame

Rzozaya :
    Maybe if you want to have a very special and beatiful hardtail frame , try the Ghost Special Edition HT frame, looks great ,nice finish, excellent welds and geometry ,very good reputation (mainly in Europe) and affordable price , well at least in my FBS (fraccionamiento bike store )

Regards

the last biker.

mtbr member

Edit:
    Cove´s are nice, but way overrated. At least that was what my Canadian friends use to told me. It was kinda cult brand back in the shore.

And talking of Canadian "boutique" brands, take a look at Chromag´s stylus. Chromag makes really nice steel bikes; not the cheapest one´s though.

I recently spoke with Ian Ritz at Chromag about one of their frames (stylus), it is sold for 750 CAD (x-rate almost the same as USD), and they can ship it directly to México. Shipping is about 300 bucks (UPS), and he told me he could gimme a 100 CAD discount on the frame to compensate for the expensive shipping. I'm almost sure if you contact them, you could talk them to a greater discount.

Just an idea... an expensive one though

OTOH... the steelhead is such a nice and affordable frame.

As for shipping a frame from the USA, with BeyondBikes it cost 26 bucks using EMS from USPS. I have use them two times now and I'm pretty satisfied with the results. It took 2 weeks (half of that time was in Customs) to have the goodies on my hands.

isn't it beautiful???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ritopc; 06-21-2006 at 10:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    Damn, that sucks....
    How about an Azonic steelhead? Steel frame, adjustable dropouts, can handle a double crown fork.... They have it at Bici5 for 2700 pesos. Pretty cheap if you ask me!
    They're really, really heavy though. Over 7lbs I believe.

Mexican e-rider
    How 'bout a Specialized Rockhopper frame?? You are tall enough and I know where you can get one for free
    "Hell, the Titus Moderator can't pass a cantina without gettin' the shakes"

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by elmadaleno
    How 'bout a Specialized Rockhopper frame?? You are tall enough and I know where you can get one for free
    Shimano XT BB included....
    Check my Site

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by elmadaleno
    Actually, it's a Stumpjumper. Not sure how it would be with a 5" fork. I ran a 4" fork, but it was designed for a 3".

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog
    Actually, it's a Stumpjumper. Not sure how it would be with a 5" fork. I ran a 4" fork, but it was designed for a 3".

A Marathon is only like 1" shorter than a Fox 130mm.... besides, he's got the TALAS to go on there
    Check my Site

moaaar shimz
    OMG give me the Stumpjumper [SIZE="3"]NOW[/SIZE]

j/k
    Last edited by tacubaya; 06-22-2006 at 11:45 AM.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    OMG give me the Rockhopper [SIZE="3"]NOW[/SIZE]

j/k
    We thought about you when deciding the destiny of the frame.... but you'd have to ride it with the seatpost fully inside the seat tube and still would have to use like 140mm cranks to pedal it nicely.... not to mention that standover of the frame has some interference issues with your neuticles.

Oh... and you'd have to do a Superman to steer it!!

Check my Site

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    OMG give me the Rockhopper [SIZE="3"]NOW[/SIZE]
    It's a Stumpjumper!!

Unfortunately, it would really only work for someone over 6' tall.

Hey Rzozaya, how about this one?

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...tar+Frame.aspx

or this one

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...660+Frame.aspx

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog
    It's a Stumpjumper!!

Unfortunately, it would really only work for someone over 6' tall.

Hey Rzozaya, how about this one?

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...tar+Frame.aspx

or this one

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...660+Frame.aspx
    That DMR looks nice, but it's a 24" rear wheel, Ill look into the Zion... Or the cove, 550 not too bad..

"El Whatever"
    That DMR looks nice, but it's a 24" rear wheel, Ill look into the Zion... Or the cove, 550 not too bad..
    The DMR can run BOTH wheels (not at the same time, though )

It's perfectly compatible with 26"

But you look like set on the Cove. Go get it.
    Check my Site

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by ritopc
    As for shipping a frame from the USA, with BeyondBikes it cost 26 bucks using EMS from USPS. I have use them two times now and I'm pretty satisfied with the results. It took 2 weeks (half of that time was in Customs) to have the goodies on my hands.
    have you ordered a frame from beyond bikes to mexico?

I'm looking at the Evil DOC and it's like 26 bucks to mexico (at least the shipping calculator says so). Is that a safe buy?

"El Whatever"

I'm looking at the Evil DOC and it's like 26 bucks to mexico (at least the shipping calculator says so). Is that a safe buy?
    Maybe he's had good experience, but take a look around the "Where are the best deals" forum and check for the opinions on Beyond Bikes/Airbomb and make up your own.

Also... and this is shady... the website for Alfred E. Bike is "aebike.com"... but if you type "aebikes.com" it will send you to Beyondoutside (same stuff as beyondbikes). No, ae bike is not related to Beyond in any way... spooky.
    Check my Site

moaaar shimz
    We thought about you when deciding the destiny of the frame.... but you'd have to ride it with the seatpost fully inside the seat tube and still would have to use like 140mm cranks to pedal it nicely.... not to mention that standover of the frame has some interference issues with your neuticles.

Oh... and you'd have to do a Superman to steer it!!

Yeah its okay, I'm getting my bike really really soon

locked - time out

Llevate mi Azonic por 1500 morlacos! baratus!

mtbr member

I have never ordered a frame with them, however all the items ordered came in big boxes

The cost is indeed 26 bucks, and i would say it is a "safe" buy. Of course there could be always the exception that makes the rule.
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo