mtbr member
    Mar 2009

need a route from Sonora to Chiapas

heading out in a couple of days and still not sure on my route. I am going to see the Mayan pyramids. I´m riding a cannondale with 2.1 inch small block 8 tires. If any body has some route ideas, well thanks!

mtbr member
    Are you touring through mexico on your bike? or riding in a vehicle to different locations?

mtbr member
    I am going to assume you are touring on your bike

A very good friend of mine rode his bike from Utah to Costa Rica. See the link below for the USA Mex section of his trip. He has some great stories which through some of the pictures you can catch a glimpse of what those adventures were like.

He is a very accessible person i am sure he would answer any questions you had. Keep in mind that there are many ways to skin that cat and security in some areas is an issue but he had zero problems. Youll probably wind up taking it as it comes. When ive traveled my plans were always rough plans because once on the road people and circumstances will guide you in different directions. Thats what makes it an adventure. Ive done a bit of traveling here in MX so i could help you out and there are people here who know the country like the back of their hands. You might want to consider posting regularly and those of us who know that particular area can give you some advise on where to stay and what to expect at you next destination and your options on how to get to that destination.

PM me with any questions you may have. If you do find that you rout takes you through puebla shoot me a PM and if you get in a bind just PM

2010 C4S USA & Mexico

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    No car just a bike.
    I may take a bus a little ways here and there, maybe not?
    Puebla and Oaxaca are for sure on the way to Zona de Maya.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Need more time to look at your friends web page.
    Looks like he took 15 past Guadalajara .. .

Once a Stray dog followed me from Laguna Hanson to Ojos Negros. I coasted down hill 40 or more kilometers while the dog ran the whole way. I got the cleaning lady at the hotel to feed him. 2 years later he was still there.

"El Whatever"
    I have nothing to contribute, as usual, other than wishing you good luck.

Something I got from reading about some other guys who traveled from the US to the Patagonia was not to underestimate elevations in Mexico. Mexico has three large mountain ranges and crossing the country implies going over any of them somehow.

Bound South: Alaska to Argentina - Road Bike, Cycling Forums
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    here is a link to map of a trip i did off my webpage -- sounds like you may be doing portions of this rout. i dont recommend going through Veracruz like i did to get to Chiapas but depending on what ruins you are wanting to see it may be necessary to go via Veracruz. Also via Oaxaca there are many mountain ranges youll need to cover. Climate-wise its better via Oaxaca but theres a hell of a lot of climbing. if that OK with you then youll enjoy. Like was mentioned above -- dont underestimate the "sustained" altitude youll encounter here in MX.

Whats your timeframe?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

across to the Puebla State

Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    No car just a bike.
    I may take a bus a little ways here and there, maybe not?
    Puebla and Oaxaca are for sure on the way to Zona de Maya.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When you're in Mexico City (DF) and go to Puebla City , I can show you how to cross the Puebla State without using any highway or paved road, only mountain bike trails, this would from the limits of Mexico City towards Puebla to the limits of the state of Puebla to Oaxaca State .

You can cross the entire state of Puebla in three or four days as follows :

Leaving Mexico City bound for Amecameca and up to Paso de Cortés (very hard climb about 6450 f.a.s.l. to 12000 ) ,P. de C. is between the volcanoes Popocatepetl and Iztaccihuatl, then ,

A long down hill to Cholula (28 miles ) via Buenavista, Santiago Xalitzintla , San Nicolas, Nealtican , Zacapetchpan , you can stay in Cholula or Puebla .

Next day Puebla or Cholula to Atlixco via Tianguismanalco, Metepec and Atlixco .

Next day Atlixco to Ahuehuetes to Epatlán to Izucar de Matamoros and then the last stretch towards Tehuitzingo , Acatlan and Petlalcingo and you'll be on the boundaries of the State of Oaxaca

saludos
    the last biker

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    I have nothing to contribute, as usual, other than wishing you good luck.
    Warp took the words right out of my mouth.
    Have fun and ride safe