mtbr member
    May 2007

Need info on guided tour in Mexico

Hi,
    we're planning to do a trip in Mexico in the begining of march 2012 because my girlfriend wants to see the sea but frankly I don't want to sit in a ressort for 7 days drinking and waiting for time to pass. I would like to know if there is any good MTB day of half-day tours I could take near the sea? I'm looking for guided tours where I could rent a bike since I wont be able to bring mine. Any help would be great and would help me have a fun trip instead of wishing I would have stayed home!

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Great country with lots of beach and mountains....

[QUOTE=lRaphl;8546807]Hi,
    we're planning to do a trip in Mexico in the begining of march 2012 because my girlfriend wants to see the sea but frankly I don't want to sit in a ressort for 7 days drinking and waiting for time to pass. I would like to know if there is any good MTB day of half-day tours I could take near the sea? I'm looking for guided tours where I could rent a bike since I wont be able to bring mine. Any help would be great and would help me have a fun trip instead of wishing I would have stayed home!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does all depends where you are going to be? Mexico has 7250 miles of coastline.

Ricky
    Nov 2008
    If you don't mind a little cold. And you are serious about adventures. And (here is the tough part) your girlfriend will accept it

I can recomend you a place close (well, kinda) to my area in Baja. Is ran by an American. It is a camping place. But all seted up, so you can live a nice Baja experience. (I don't work there)

SoloSports Adventure Holidays at Punta San Carlos, Baja

the place is featured on the new movie "Follow Me" by Anthill Films

Follow Me: Punta San Carlos - YouTube

And to be honest, I think it is kinda expensive for .. you know .. just camping.

I go there (not too often, I have to drive like 4hrs, to get there. And I go by myself .. You have to be really, really self suficient, There is NOTHING about 100kms around (on a Dirt road)

Great Surfing and really good Mountain Biking

I never stayed with them. But looks like these guys gave you everything for you to be comfortable. Like I said, it is cold in March, (is always cold there) It gets hotter in june to september

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, the exact place we wan to go isn't settled yet and if I can find a place to go and ride close to a resort or some touristic place it will be taken into account when we finally choose were exactly we want to go. This is why any suggestions will be appreciated. Sure things, places closer to some cities like Cancun, Veracruz, Campeche, Puerto Vallarta, and Acapulco would be a better choice since they are more popular for tourists and thus the airplane tickets and hotels are way cheaper.

Also, I would like only half days or full days tours. I want to get back with the family at the end of the day or around noon. Group rides would also be nice. I'm also not looking for easy rides...I want to suffer a little bit!

Again, thank you in advance for your help!

mtbr member
    puerto vallarta is you best choice for mtb check some routes on mapmyride look for vallartabike or el_novato

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Puerto Vallarta

I think you Puerto vallarta can be a good option. The place is beautiful and You can do a lot of things too. I just went there last August and wow !! I didn't ride (family trip) but when you see all that mountains ...man!!!!

Take care !!

mtbr member
    Beware that March is when heat season starts around here. Anything on the south-east will be burning (more than usual). I'll go to Puerto Vallarta too, near you have interesting places like Sayulita and the Nayarit coast. Veracruz is a good MTB destination, but Veracruz's beaches are not as nice as others.

An advise, avoid Acapulco and Cancun, much the big resort all-included-rest-in-a-chair-an-get-drunk style.

And, if I can recall, (late-)march is also the "Semana Santa" vacation period. Everywhere here is crowded and expensive, avoid visiting us in that period, probably another MTBRer can know the exact dates of that...

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Veracruz is a good MTB destination, but Veracruz's beaches are not as nice as others.
    Not to be a jerk, but I would go against this one. Veracruz MTB places are not really near the beaches. You have to drive some and it goes against his half-day-bike plans.

Plus, it's not the safest place around for the moment.

I agree with Vallarta and another more popular option is Cancun.
    MTB Cancún & Rivera Maya - La casa del cicloselvatismo

There are organized rides, rentals and such. Terrain is not as rugged as Vallarta, though. So my first choice would be Vallarta.

Maybe there would be something in Oaxaca. Puerto Escondido and Huatulco a re great destinations also.
    Check my Site

Ricky
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Maybe there would be something in Oaxaca. Puerto Escondido and Huatulco a re great destinations also.
    +1 on Oaxaca, never riden there, went to Pto Escondido on a surfing trip. But definitly see the potential for MTN Biking there, as there are the mountains on the back (just like Vallarta). You might look into bike rentals.

Never riden Cancun either ... but the place is flat as a coin, may be are some singletracks, but I don't think you will go any up or down

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Seems like Puerto Vallarta would be the best choice...now it's time to convince my girlfriend that it's the right place to go!

I found this MTB tour company in Puerto Vallarta: Eco Ride - Mountain Bike Tours in Puerto Vallarta

Could not find yet bad comments about them. Everyone who used them seems to like them and the tour they offers. Anyone can comment on them?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Ended up going to Riviera Maya

Well...could not convince my girlfriend to go to Puerto Vallarta... We bough a trip to Riviera Maya for 8 days (7 nights). I tried to send an email to the place Mr. Warp suggested and no answers yet. Any other tour group I could contact for a half day mountain bike trip?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    I posted a thread with a question about riding in Cozumel. If any of you have any insight (other than it's flat, hot and sandy), I'd appreciate it. Here's the link:
    Off Road in Cozumel
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners