Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Id say its about 40 km from Xalapa maybe a bit more. You have to climb up to Conejo then its all down hill. We had a friend drop us off at conejo and meet us in Coatepec.

With regard to your other question -- To be honest i dont have first hand expierence with any trail other than the one mentioned in the post. I aim to change that soon. However, just by what I seen I think you could ride every weekend in the surrounding area of Xalapa for years and not ride the same trail twice. Just on the Cofre de Perote there were many trails. Keep in mind that these are not bike trails pre se. They are paths that people depend on to get to thier houses nestled in the mountains. As such they go on for kilometer after kilometer and can be very challenging. mostly due to errosion and bare clay which as i learned is a whole other world to ride on when you are going straight down hill. Keep in mind there are many more cross country style trails available.

Also there is pico de orizaba (father south -- see link) Pico de Orizaba - Jonathan Simon's Photos which is not far away. from there you can go east for many miles of trails. Basically there are endless options. You would be well advised to go with someone who knows the are or you speak spanish well. If you speak spanish you can always rely on Mexican GPS where you stop and ask but in the area close to Pico de Orizaba you could get lost and stay lost. look at google maps.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Thanks for the information! I know what you mean by all the clay laying around and these being local paths to get from one place to another. I'm thinking Estado de Veracruz is nothing but giant vats of clay and rocks that can kick my butt after going there three times now.

Been down to Orizaba, Fortin de las Flores and Cordoba before, I can only imagine the clay even being worse. Walking down into the old railroad line in Barrance de Metlac then back out I musta had at least fifty pounds of that stuff stuck to me.

Thanks again!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    unicrown junkie

not sure if the forum rules allow for this but look up MexicoMTB.com http://www.mexicomtb.com/ -- you really need to look up steve.

Steve is very knowledgable of all things riding MTbikes in the area. He is also a capable rider. If you like friendly competition on the trails youll have fun. he is also a very accessable person

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    If we decide to hit Xalapa I will ask his advice for XC trails for sure. I like friendly competition, but am an old fart now, and I ride all rigid regardless of the trail, so I would be WAY behind him and you guys on a trail.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend!

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    Thanks for the information! I know what you mean by all the clay laying around and these being local paths to get from one place to another. I'm thinking Estado de Veracruz is nothing but giant vats of clay and rocks that can kick my butt after going there three times now.

Been down to Orizaba, Fortin de las Flores and Cordoba before, I can only imagine the clay even being worse. Walking down into the old railroad line in Barrance de Metlac then back out I musta had at least fifty pounds of that stuff stuck to me.

Thanks again!
    Well, you can go down the coast and get bogged down in sand pits also.

Veracruz, as you know it's a rather large state and you still have to discover more of the incredible Sierra around Catemaco and San Andres Tuxtla. It's mostly rainforest.

Terrain changes a lot along Veracruz. I have only experience riding around Cardel (south of Xalapa like 70kms and flat like a pan) as I grew up there. There, is more about sand and stones.

I tried to access mexicomtb and it not working? I'm interested as my sister lives in Xalapa and we go regularly down there. I could take my bike with me!

Copper Canyon in Chihuahua is plain awesome. Logistics are a bit more complicated but it's worthy.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Well, you can go down the coast and get bogged down in sand pits also.

Veracruz, as you know it's a rather large state and you still have to discover more of the incredible Sierra around Catemaco and San Andres Tuxtla. It's mostly rainforest.

Terrain changes a lot along Veracruz. I have only experience riding around Cardel (south of Xalapa like 70kms and flat like a pan) as I grew up there. There, is more about sand and stones.

I tried to access mexicomtb and it not working? I'm interested as my sister lives in Xalapa and we go regularly down there. I could take my bike with me!

Copper Canyon in Chihuahua is plain awesome. Logistics are a bit more complicated but it's worthy.

http://www.mexicomtb.com/

this should work

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Warp, my apologies for getting back so late to you. Thanks for the advice, I've yet to hit the sandpits of Veracruz, fortunately, but have been through Minatitlan and spent a day in Coatzacolcos to see the rail action there. That's about it for me and Veracruz besides being to Cordoba and Xalapa.

We're (my spouse and me) are kind of in a bind. She really wants to visit Oaxaca, but a whole week there and I swear I will die from boredom. So, I'm trying to figure out a way to go to both Oaxaca and Zacatecas if possible. I like Xalapa, and so does she, but in thinking about food and architectural history, Cd. Oaxaca has Xalapa beat hands down.

So we ponder and ponder some more. All comes down to only one extra week after we have hit the Yucatan and limited funds, arggh!

Slowmotion I went through the various parts of the site you mentioned. Gotta admit, I sure am curious to see one of General Santana's homes!

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Forgot to add that I've been to Chihuahua six times now(it is my favorite state, possibly). We want to hit Creel, Madera, and La Junta, but don't have the time to go that far north on this trip. Considered it again and again, but flying into Los Mochis is a pain in the butt for us.

"El Whatever"
    Forgot to add that I've been to Chihuahua six times now(it is my favorite state, possibly). We want to hit Creel, Madera, and La Junta, but don't have the time to go that far north on this trip. Considered it again and again, but flying into Los Mochis is a pain in the butt for us.
    Hey, no worries!

Chihuahua it's so freaking big it's hard to get there from anywhere and to make matters worst, Creel is only accessible from by road from Chihuahua or train from Mochis.

You can fly to Chihuahua also, but it's going from Yucatan-DF-Chihuahua and the train departs ONLY by 6:00AM, so it means spending the night there. It means basically two days travelling.

I worked there for like 8mo.... right in the middle of the Copper Canyon, close to Chinipas.

I haven't been to Zacatecas and your post has me thinking about going. My mom went and tells me that the city is beautiful, it has a cable car and old mines. But that's as far as I can offer advice.

Oaxaca... "short" distance (you know what I mean, in Mexico nothing is close as in Europe) from Yucatan which is a plus. The city is really nice, many tourist go there, great architecture, awesome food, beautiful prehispanic monuments... and if you think you'll get bored, go to Huatulco or Puerto Escondido. It's not an easy drive down to the coast, but it's well worthy also.

Check Oaxaca thread in this thread. It has pointers to guides and places.
    Check my Site

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Yeah, I've taken the train about five times so far. What sucks now is that El Segundo no longer exists, only Primera. And since Segundo left at 7am, it made for an easier departure. I actually prefer the La Junta side of the mountains, Chihuahua's desert is a must-see in terms of places to visit in my opinion. And as you said, a two day trip to just get on the train, if it isn't full. Thought about flying into Culiacan because it's cheap, but same problem.

Where exactly did you work? I've only been to Urique down in the Canyon. There are some crazy mining operations going on in those hills!

As for Cd. Zacatecas, it's awesome. Been there four times so far, but never with the bike. Has great views from La Bufa and the Teleferico, plus the 8000 feet elevation is a real lung buster.

regarding Oaxaca, been there three times to date. Love the city and surrounding area, but it gets boring for me real quick compared to Zacatecas. As you know, it's a lot closer to the Yucatan and QR, so makes getting into Cd. Oaxaca in one day quite easy.

I love Cd. Chihuahua. I think it's Volaris(may be Interjet) that flies into Chih., but that town is worth the visit, it would be my seventh time there. Flights are cheap enough, but I don't know about off-roading there in December, worth it?

Too many wonderful places to visit in such a wonderful country. Like you said, everything is far apart, and I'm used to it since I grew up in Northern California; our problem is we don't have enough time! ARRRGH!!!

"El Whatever"
    Where exactly did you work? I've only been to Urique down in the Canyon. There are some crazy mining operations going on in those hills!

I love Cd. Chihuahua. I think it's Volaris(may be Interjet) that flies into Chih., but that town is worth the visit, it would be my seventh time there. Flights are cheap enough, but I don't know about off-roading there in December, worth it?
    I worked at Palmarejo, in Chinipas Canyon. Closest rail station is Temoris, like a couple hours past Creel on the Chepe. I worked in one of those crazy mining projects, lol!

No more Segundo? Shizzle... add to that that the Chepe is not exactly cheap.

Flying to Chihuahua, you also have Viva Aerobus, which is dirt cheap, but they charge you even for luggage. If you travel light, it may be an option.

Traveling on the Chepe was an eye opener. I am from Veracruz and I had not seen such vast, open plains as just passing Cuauhtemoc, Chih. before then. Then the canyons!

Riding there in december? As long as you stay below 4500ft above sea level, you'd be OK. Above that and it's freezing. Winter makes the train unpredictable. If it snows on the highlands, they cut the service until weather improves sometimes.

Edit... Riding in Chihuahua by december... not that bad. Gets a little cold (close to zero centigrades or even below), but just that. There are some trails to be ridden there, but I haven't ridden there.
    Check my Site

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Warp, Temoris! Been through so many times, but never got off the train. Any good rides right from the train station?

As for Viavaerobus, been hearing to many scary non-refund stories for me to take them. And one thing about Cuauhtemoc, I saw a knock down drag-out fight between two young woman once there just beside the train station when I was in town for two days. Man it was epic...

"El Whatever"
    Warp, Temoris! Been through so many times, but never got off the train. Any good rides right from the train station?
    Don't know about riding there. I was working there. I took my bike once and got to ride over the roads there, which are not technical but the views are astonishing and the roads challenging enough.

Temoris...

The view from what was my office... Edit... no, that was somewhere between San Rafael and Palmarejo.

This is the view from my office indeed...

The lower road to Chinipas (there was a higher road)...

One of the many tunnels in the mountains...

One more, halfways to Chinipas from Palmarejo...

Check my Site

mtbr member
    unicrown junkie

Oaxaca there is a place to rent mt bikes. I rented one and explored the surrounding areas. I wouldnt call it a wow experience but it was fun. did some bushwhacking and had some fun.

I get the impression that Like Xalapa if you connect with the right person Oaxaca is a MT bike wonderland. You just need to know where to go. Its a big state with many areas on the map depicted as blank areas. No towns, villages or roads to speak of. A no-mans land. Kind of place that draws my attention.

Back to the story -- Where I rented the bike the owner (cant remember his name of the name of the shop) seemed to be pretty knowledgeable of the area.

Happy Camp, Weaverville ring a bell?

Last edited by slowmotion; 06-30-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Jungle rider

...regarding Oaxaca, been there three times to date. Love the city and surrounding area, but it gets boring for me real quick compared to Zacatecas. As you know, it's a lot closer to the Yucatan and QR, so makes getting into Cd. Oaxaca in one day quite easy.
    Oaxaca is a real mountain biking paradise, if you take your time to explore a bit. The state has amazing places to ride: oak-pine forests, mist forests, cloud forests jungles, sea, you ask!.. whatever your might want to ride on!!. You can get as high as 3,500 m.a.s.l to sea level in -literally speaking- one freaking singletrack! There are endless singletracks, doubletracks & logging roads everywhere; technical terrain & not so technical. I just spent three weeks in the Sierra Norte de Juarez (about 70 km north of Oaxaca city) and the place is awesome for all-mountain riding. I particularly recommend exploring around Capulalpam, Ixtlan de Juarez and bit more far away, Comaltepec.

Oaxaca is for sure one of my favourite mtb destinations in Mexico. The people is amazingly frendly & warm hearted. The food is the best. Cultural land & beautiful landscapes. It can't get much better than that. But... then, if you like Can Cun for example, forget about all what I've said above.

Here are links for a couple of vids / slide shows I took over there:

Capulalpam Oaxaca: a true mountain biking paradise - YouTube
    MTB in Capulalpam Oaxaca Mexico - YouTube

IMHO, it is almost impossible to get bored in Oaxaca if you bring a mtb with you when visiting the state!

Cheers,
    Last edited by Serengetijack; 06-30-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Grammar
    "My future involves more biking, some ups, some downs, then death" Adam Billinghurst - Just Some Guy That Rides Bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post

Un bello ejemplo de una bici verdaderamente clásica del MTB.

Un chasis tan bien maquinado, mas un diseño de suspensión muy eficiente.

Nada mas le agregaríamos un amortiguador de ultima generación como un Fox Kashima o un Monarch Plus. Yo creo que le andaría ganando a muchas de las mejores bicis del 2012.

Aun no entiendo por que te deshiciste de ella

Saludos

Jungle rider
    [QUOTE=Warp;9454303]

The view from what was my office... Edit... no, that was somewhere between San Rafael and Palmarejo.
    ----------

Bonitas fotos Warp. Y esa Titus se ve padre. Supongo que una de las primeras de doble suspensión de esa marca, no?

Yo viví en Durango y Chihuahua a finales de los 80s (cuando aún eran lugares muy seguros), pero tristemente todavía no me "picaba el bicho" del mtb (estaba naciendo en California en ese entonces). Hubiera sido padre tener una bici en esos lugares de la Sierra Madre que llegue a conocer. Lugares verdaderamente increibles.

Saludos,
    "My future involves more biking, some ups, some downs, then death" Adam Billinghurst - Just Some Guy That Rides Bikes

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Slowmotion Hmmm, Happy Camp and Weaverville!!!! Oh yes, you do know my old stomping grounds. Can only wonder more now about you! Well, actually Happy Camp is a long ways from Hayfork. We should talk more about that later.

Back on topic, we have been looking at everything in Mexico as to where to go. Still only have tix one way into QR.

I like Oaxaca, and the mountains having gone through them a few times on the passenger train(gone now). But I think I may have my spouse convinced as to the difficulty of flying into Oax. cost wise.

Trying here to limit money expenditures, and I'm leaning either towards Cd. Chihuahua, Cuiliacan, or Aguascalientes.

Warp here are my photos from the Copper Canyon and Chihuahua. Loved seeing yours, btw! Mexico pics:http://http://www.pbase.com/sixriversrail/chihuahua

Have a great day, everyone.

Sincerely, UJ

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    unicrown junkie

Oaxaca there is a place to rent mt bikes. I rented one and explored the surrounding areas. I wouldnt call it a wow experience but it was fun. did some bushwhacking and had some fun.

I get the impression that Like Xalapa if you connect with the right person Oaxaca is a MT bike wonderland. You just need to know where to go. Its a big state with many areas on the map depicted as blank areas. No towns, villages or roads to speak of. A no-mans land. Kind of place that draws my attention.

Back to the story -- Where I rented the bike the owner (cant remember his name of the name of the shop) seemed to be pretty knowledgeable of the area.

Happy Camp, Weaverville ring a bell?

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Serengetijack my apologies for not responding. For some reason your email post never made it into my inbox, so I missed it until now.

As for this sea-level to mountain top singletrack, is this down near San Jose del Pacifico before dropping into Puerto Escondido? I have always wanted to ride this area after visiting PE, Salina Cruz, and Ixtepec back in 2004.

Never heard of the other towns you mentioned, but as I said before, taking the train to Cuicatlan sure made my eyes get big. I never knew until then that Oaxaca had MASSIVE mountains.

BTW, can't stand Cancun. We're just flying in, then off to Isla Mujeres and attending a family function. I prefer Zacatecas, Chihuahua, Puebla, and then it's hard to decide which state next. Been to twenty plus so far, more than at home here in the US.

Thanks for the advice, and I agree the food is maybe the best(Puebla vs. Oaxaca) it is very HARD to decide!

Quote Originally Posted by Serengetijack View Post
    Oaxaca is a real mountain biking paradise, if you take your time to explore a bit. The state has amazing places to ride: oak-pine forests, mist forests, cloud forests jungles, sea, you ask!.. whatever your might want to ride on!!. You can get as high as 3,500 m.a.s.l to sea level in -literally speaking- one freaking singletrack! There are endless singletracks, doubletracks & logging roads everywhere; technical terrain & not so technical. I just spent three weeks in the Sierra Norte de Juarez (about 70 km north of Oaxaca city) and the place is awesome for all-mountain riding. I particularly recommend exploring around Capulalpam, Ixtlan de Juarez and bit more far away, Comaltepec.

Oaxaca is for sure one of my favourite mtb destinations in Mexico. The people is amazingly frendly & warm hearted. The food is the best. Cultural land & beautiful landscapes. It can't get much better than that. But... then, if you like Can Cun for example, forget about all what I've said above.

Here are links for a couple of vids / slide shows I took over there:

Capulalpam Oaxaca: a true mountain biking paradise - YouTube
    MTB in Capulalpam Oaxaca Mexico - YouTube

IMHO, it is almost impossible to get bored in Oaxaca if you bring a mtb with you when visiting the state!

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Slowmotion actually Happy Camp is a long ways from Hayfork......
    LOL -- not on a Motorbike but yes its not right down the street. More via PM

BTW -- Link did not work.

I have a stumppy FSR if you make it over here to Puebla. There are a few nice sppots but I must admit most of what I do these days has solid good pucker factor associated with it but a day just cruzing around some places ive wanted to visit (see below) would be fine with me. Also, Puebla can be interesting to visit for you and your wife to see

Las mejores rutas mountain bike en Tlaxcala (México) : Wikiloc

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    OK, first the link: Chihuahua, El Estado Grande! Si! Photo Gallery by Six Rivers Rail at pbase.com It should work now, I just checked it.

I might as well admit it, the family function I am attending is a wedding in QR, and Puebla may be on the list. But I won't know until my sister says if she is going there or not. Since she's getting married, she gets first pick in where to go in Mexico, and she expressed an interest in seeing Puebla for the first time. I certainly don't want to ruin her homeymoon by being in the same city, if you know what I mean.

I have been to Puebla twice in fact, and LOVED it. Those freaking cementos they serve are amazing, and Pueblano cooking is awesome in general. Have you been to the railroad museum next to downtown? It's one of the best outdoor collections of trains in North America.

I will be back to ask about Puebla riding if we get the go-ahead to visit and my sister heads somewhere else.

As for Happy Camp and the road bike, now that makes sense! Sounded like fun.

If for some reas

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    LOL -- not on a Motorbike but yes its not right down the street. More via PM

BTW -- Link did not work.

I have a stumppy FSR if you make it over here to Puebla. There are a few nice sppots but I must admit most of what I do these days has solid good pucker factor associated with it but a day just cruzing around some places ive wanted to visit (see below) would be fine with me. Also, Puebla can be interesting to visit for you and your wife to see

Las mejores rutas mountain bike en Tlaxcala (México) : Wikiloc

Jungle rider
    Serengetijack my apologies for not responding. For some reason your email post never made it into my inbox, so I missed it until now.

No Problem. That happens sometimes. A lot of people here never answer so I am used to it, jaja.

As for this sea-level to mountain top singletrack, is this down near San Jose del Pacifico before dropping into Puerto Escondido? I have always wanted to ride this area after visiting PE, Salina Cruz, and Ixtepec back in 2004.

I think you are right. That is the one. But it is obviously a huge "singletrack" so I would recommend riding it downhill...not sea level to mountain top, please!!!. I've never done it but it is something in my mtb agenda .

Never heard of the other towns you mentioned, but as I said before, taking the train to Cuicatlan sure made my eyes get big. I never knew until then that Oaxaca had MASSIVE mountains.

Really? Well, you have missed a huge and beautifully diverse portion of Oaxaca. The Sierra de Juarez or Sierra Norte as it is also known, is absolutely awesome. Try to visit it. Ixtlán de Juarez (and Capulalpam de Méndez) are just about 75km north of Oaxaca city. The road is uphill from Oaxaca and a bit dangerous for inexperienced drivers (narrow, lots of curves and land slides) but you can take the bus. There are many ecotourism intiatives in the region with nice cabins, guides, bike rentals, etc..Just google Capulalpam Ecotourism or Ecoturixtlán. The money goes directly to the zopotec indigenous communities so it is good to go for for that reason too.

BTW, can't stand Cancun.
    Excellent. Welcome to the team then, (Joking)

We're just flying in, then off to Isla Mujeres and attending a family function. I prefer Zacatecas, Chihuahua, Puebla, and then it's hard to decide which state next. Been to twenty plus so far, more than at home here in the US.

Your pictures of Chihuahua are great man. It seems you like trains a lot. I used to live in Chiahuahua & Durango when I was younger and I agree, there is nothing in Mexcio as the Sierra Madre for treking & exploration. Cañón del Cobre and Sinforosa Creeks are awesome. Never rode there though . In Durango, Topia & the highway to Mazatlán (El Espinazo del Diablo) are also amazing places. As for Puebla, is one of the states I know less but places around the volcanoes and the Sierra Negra de Puebla are nice.

Thanks for the advice, and I agree the food is maybe the best(Puebla vs. Oaxaca) it is very HARD to decide!

You welcome dude! Take care & enjoy the trip.
    Last edited by Serengetijack; 07-03-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Chihuahua Riding

Cascada de Basaseachi
    Cascada de Basaseachi - YouTube

Tire Geek O_o
    Chequense este proyecto en Jalisco!

Freeride Park Sierra del Tigre | 32 Spokes MTB México
    http://32spokesmtb.com - Promoting MTB & cycling from Mexico to the World!

Moral derailleur
    I want to add Mazatlán, Sinaloa to the list.

There are nice trails and the surroundings are great as well.

Here's a youtube channel where you can check out some mtb riding:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCss...YPGUwhaGGpzWzA

You can find videos in youtube about Mazatlan in general as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2