Now with 3 more inches!

Mexico City Urban Assault

After being off the bike since July 4th (broken tibia), my Doctor has finally given me permission to ride again. He doesn't want me riding anything too nasty yet, but my mexico mob compadres were up for a little urban action to test out my titanium enhanced right leg.

I live very close to the Bosque de Chapultepec, which is Mexico's equivalent to Central Park. It's a huge oasis in the urban sprawl here, and it's always a popular place to go on a Sunday.

We met around 9:30 at my place. Rzozoya kindly lent me his stumpy so I could find out what all this rear-suspension fuss is about. Warp2003 was there and my upstairs neighbour Jason joined us on my hardtail.

Well, the good news is my leg felt great, and I feel like I'll be ready for the trails very soon (I didn't hit any rough stuff today, right guys ).

It was a fun morning, and I've been looking forward to being able to do this for what seems like forever. To top it off, Rzozoya brought over The Collective to watch after the ride. Here's a few pics (Rzozoya, hope you don't mind but I included a couple of yours. Your camera is at my house):

1. Warp changing stems to fit my long monkey arms.

2. Three Amigos. This is the Paseo de Reforma, which runs along the north side of the park. There are always great photo exhibits along the fence here. Right now it's Spanish Romanesque Churches. It's like riding through an art gallery.

3 etc. Ride by shootings - Rzozoya, Warp and Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now with 3 more inches!
    A few more.

1. On the bike path which runs around the second section of the park.

2, 3, 4. Stair masters

Now with 3 more inches!
    Last ones.

1. Warp hits the dirt.

2. Heading south this is the Periferico which divides sections 1 and 2 of the park, with the Roller Coaster on the right.

Freshly Fujified

Nice pics

Looks like the Three Amigos have a good time together. Glad to see you're back on the bike and the three of you out wreaking havoc again.

bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I've been there

to some of the places in those pics. Pretty fun. I would love to ride an urban assault in the city too. THX

I like to ride my bike.

New question here.

I'm glad to see that your on the bike again but how is that considered urban assault? Well, if you just had surgery you might want to take it easy.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Williams
    I'm glad to see that your on the bike again but how is that considered urban assault? Well, if you just had surgery you might want to take it easy.
    Yeah, sorry to disappoint you. Couldn't post all the shots of me doing 12' stair gaps etc. but my wife would be none too pleased if she saw those when we were just out for a quiet ride in the park. I only get really "extreme" when I'm riding my Rock Thruster!

I actually had surgery over 4 months ago, just excited to be back on the bike and wanted to share my Passion. This is the right place isn't it?

Just another Homer

Four friends

of mine were attempting to ride from Canada to Chile. Everything was going fairly well till they hit Mexico City. Here they were ticketed four times and had to pay the fines immediately and then as they were leaving their hotel the next day and were all packed, they had their bikes and all their stuff bike jacked. My friends brother was stabbed with a screwdiver. This happened over two years ago, I'm wondering if anything has changed.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=I'm wondering if anything has changed.[/QUOTE]

I think it's gotten worse. We recently got a corporate e-mail warning all travelers to Mexico city not to ride in any Taxi's except the govt. sponsered ones, and then to check drivers ID, roll up all windows and lock ll doors, etc, etc. I've seen news items about tourists getting in cabs which drove them out of town where they were robbed & murdered.
    What's the secret to safe travel in Mexico (besides looking poor & spanish)??
    PedaltilyaPuke

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by (:aP
    I think it's gotten worse. We recently got a corporate e-mail warning all travelers to Mexico city not to ride in any Taxi's except the govt. sponsered ones, and then to check drivers ID, roll up all windows and lock ll doors, etc, etc. I've seen news items about tourists getting in cabs which drove them out of town where they were robbed & murdered.

Where were they getting into??

I've lived two years straight with wife and kid here and no probs. I'm mexican but my accent is quite different... I don't know the city very well either.

My company receives a lot of foreigners and we haven't got any incident.

Tips for safe mexico:

- Yes, look low profile. Wearing a suit is no problem... everybody wear suits at DF as there are lots of HQ's offices here (including ours).
    - Get taxi cabs at a "Sitio". Those are safe. Avoid taking any taxi cab. You might not get robbed, but maybe just scammed with the rate (you'll get a nice ride all around Mexico City though)
    - Try to speak the language or get along with someone who does.
    - Get informed at the local (Mexico) offices for the neighborhoods that have to be avoided and which are safe.

Mexico and US governments have had some affairs, especially regarding inmigration, anti-drug combat and quite some more and the US have been overreacting to some stuff that had happened. I'm not saying this is the best place in the world to live at (I don't like it, I'm from the Gulf Coast of Mexico) but it's not as bad as some people want you to think.

Situation has gotten better for sure. Situation was worst two or three years ago.

If Mexico's government should take a look at hte numbers of crime against Mexican citizens in some places of the US, our government would be warning mexicans not to go to NY, LA and some other places in the worls like Rio de Janeiro, Colombia and such.

Having lived in several parts of mexico and after visited europe all you have to do to be safe anywhere in the world is to be well informed and act naturally. Some basic cautions are a plus.

See... we were four guys riding high end bikes (for the country) and speaking nothing but english... nothing happened to us. We just had to be informed and aware.

Seriously... Mexico is not the big bad wolf as the US govt want people to think. I have my theory about it, but it's not part of a bike forum.

Peace and visit mexico!!!! You'll enjoy it and will not regret it.
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog
    After being off the bike since July 4th (broken tibia), my Doctor has finally given me permission to ride again. He doesn't want me riding anything too nasty yet, but my mexico mob compadres were up for a little urban action to test out my titanium enhanced right leg.
    Before anything... congrats on your maiden ride of your Ti-enhanced leg!!

You look in nice technical shape and great fitness considering all the time you were out. Keep it up!! Rubber side down!!!

This ride was pretty nice to me.

For everybody to know... as he mentioned earlier in the thread, Tigerdog had to hold himself back for not riding some challenging stuff, under Doc's orders and wife's advice.

Good to see you'll be hitting trails soon!
    Check my Site

Now with 3 more inches!
    [QUOTE=(:aP]
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm wondering if anything has changed.[/QUOTE
    Well, I don't look very Spanish. Check my current avatar. In fact a large part of the population here don't look like they come from Spain. They didn't, they were already here!

Yes, bad things can happen here. I'm a teacher at the American School in Mexico City. Many of my students have armed bodyguards who bring them to school. I know of at least one who was kidnapped. Some teachers have been car-jacked. Others have been robbed in taxis. But...

Here are tips for Mexico City. Don't grab a street Taxi. Use a Call Service or "Sitio". Don't listen to your iPod while talking on your $500 cellphone while checking your Rolex for the time in an unfamiliar neighbourhood.

[Rant]There are bad news stories everywhere. Fox and CNN will find them and sensationalise them.Bali isn't safe! I lived there. There were 2 bombs in 2 years, less than half a mile from each other. It's a big island. There are other (much more beautiful) parts to it, which are perfectly safe. If we believe the news channels, we should just lock ourselves in our houses, gripping an assault rifle, waiting for the EvilDoers to knock on the door. Well I got bike-jacked once. In my own home, in England. 5 Crackhead teenagers will do anything. My custom rig probably got traded for 20 quid. My point...

If you can get robbed in your own home, in your own country, then get over it and travel and discover the world. Mexico is a wonderful country with wonderful people (like Warp2003 and Rzozoya). Sure it has some problems, and the USA doesn't? I lived in San Francisco for 3 years, there were drug shootings outside my wife's primary school.[/Rant]

If anyone wants to come down, we'll be glad to help with info. We're putting together a gathering and would love to have some US MTBR members there, Canada too. It could be a NAFTA gathering.

Matt

mtbr member

Some adittional comments

I would say its not worse, only bad... (hey I lived as a kid on a neighborhood where the gangs were really brutal..!). I think that the two key things to do to be safe is awareness and common sense as Warp2003 has already said. Use only the Sitio cabs and always ask for the safe places to be, it always helps knowing a bit of spanish or knowing someone there. Although a suite is fine, jewelry is not.
    I also ride sometimes in Chapultepec 2nd. section and I have to cross trhough a dangerous neighborhood, I haven't had any problem, also use cabs a lot as i don't drive and never had any problem also. Sometimes you are lucky but sometimes avoiding looking distracted or as a victim helps... I do like my City and love/hate living there, it might be more dangerous than Barcelona or Chicago, etc... but there is no reason to be afraid, just be careful.
    I also have my opinion obout the security/image issue in Mexico but I also think that a bike forum is no place to discuss it! Have a nice day!

A Guy Who is Going Places
    just excited to be back on the bike and wanted to share my Passion. This is the right place isn't it?
    Definitely, nice stuff and thanks for sharing.

I lived in Cuernavaca for a while, and I've been itching to get back there.
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    I lived in Cuernavaca for a while, and I've been itching to get back there.
    Cuernavaca's great. I know some people who live near there, and there is some nice singletrack near their house. It's possible to ride from Mexico City to Cuernavaca, starting in Ajusco. Need to find somebody who knows the trails, though.

Matt

"El Whatever"
    Need to find somebody who knows the trails, though.

Matt
    Don't look at me!!!

There are people who organize rides (but you have to pay) that know the trails.

Check out this link
    Check my Site

El Malo
    El Ajusco... now you're talkin'... I haven't been there since I was pre-pubescent but I can just imagine the fun I'd have out there shreddin' on my bike.
    We used to stop by the side of the road for some killer Flor de Calabaza and Cuitlacoche quesadillas and gorditas made from scratch... damn, I miss the food. Although I'm affraid my wimpy stomach has lost it's immunity to the bichos thanks to the lifestyle up here.

Great to see some pix from the big city... I have some very fond memories of my days when I lived there.
    It doesn't seem that long ago when Mom and I used to go on a Saturday morning bike ride in Chapultepec park with a stop at the Anthropology Museum.
    Good times, indeed.
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "