Beep, Beep...

Irresistible Red Temptation...

Hi guys,

I have received an e-mail with information about new MTB wheels. These are made by Fulcrum (A Campagnolo Subsidiary) and have alredy been used in the XC World Cup.

I cannot resist to try these wheels. I will order them as soon as they are available.

These are the technical specs:

FULCRUM RED CARBON

Rim
    Material: carbon fibre
    Height: 24.5 mm
    Inside width: 19 mm
    Profile: asymmetrical: freewheel side on the rear wheel and on the disc brake side at the front. Rim without braking surfaces.
    Finish: carbon fibre

Spokes
    Material: aluminium
    Profile: aero
    Nipples: oversize in stainless steel
    Spoking: 20 front and 20 rear. Crossed in threes in the rear wheel on the freewheel side and in the front wheel on the disc brake side; in twos on the other sides
    Finish: anodized satinized black

Hubs
    Body: Oversize in aluminium
    Axles: aluminium with 20 mm diameter front and rear
    Bearings: Adjustable high-precision bearings for the AFS version (Shimano® Center Lock compatible), with cone/cap adjustable bearings for the 6-screw disc brake version
    Freewheel: monolithic freewheel body with two sealed bearings

Compatibility
    UST Tubeless
    Disc: international standard and Axial Fixing System

Weight: 1,450 grams

What do you think of these red wonders ?.

Cheers,

Fidel.
    Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Turner Flux DW-Link
    Colnago C50

MTB'er
    Sep 2005
    Nice! The fact that the XC World Champion Julien Absalon will use 'em this year (he used the Red Metal Zero last year), says something about these wheels. Personally, I'd have a tough time deciding between these and the DT Swiss XRC 1250... but the >$2,000 usd price tag makes my decision a lot easier: I'll keep my Xmax SL's...
    EnRodadera
    "I will not relent"

moaaar shimz
    Carbon on wheels is ghey.

Bike to the Bone...
    Go for I9 with stans olympic rims, cheaper and very nice....

Maybe even lighter, and stiffer, I think.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah... those wheels are all over euro mags...they must be spending tons of money in publicity...

they look cool...

mtbr member
    Wow! Those wheels look cool indeed, the lightes I9 (currently unavailable) would be 80 gr lighter, but with less paws in the rear hub I think, as for stifness I really doubt they would be less stiff than the I9 I beleive those rims are deeper than the ones in the I9. For racing they should be nice! Only concerns would be durability and price! Carbon fiber isn't really good at impact resistance... It would be interesting to know your impressions if you get them!

El Rivas

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by arivas
    Wow! Those wheels look cool indeed, the lightes I9 (currently unavailable) would be 80 gr lighter, but with less paws in the rear hub I think, as for stifness I really doubt they would be less stiff than the I9 I beleive those rims are deeper than the ones in the I9. For racing they should be nice! Only concerns would be durability and price! Carbon fiber isn't really good at impact resistance... It would be interesting to know your impressions if you get them!

El Rivas
    I'm not sure about it. I think the I9 have like 6 pawls and a lot of engagement points, and I think that the I9 will be more stiff. Anyway, I have no way to know, since both wheels are out of my budget.

Fidel, why don't you buy both wheelsets and give us your opinion?

mtbr member
    I think the lightweight version of the I9 has a reduction in pawls, but I really don't remember if that is true, as for stifnes I think the driving factor would be how deep is the rim and in this case the fulcrum one is deeper (there is paper regarding wheel stifnes, maybe too boring and I really don't remember where to find it).
    I prefer your proposed solution! As those wheels are out of our buget may Fidel be the buyer/tester/reporter! Besides I wouldn't get any benefit of any of those wheels, I'm too slow and to clumsy to even be close to one of those...

El Rivas

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by arivas
    I think the lightweight version of the I9 has a reduction in pawls, but I really don't remember if that is true, as for stifnes I think the driving factor would be how deep is the rim and in this case the fulcrum one is deeper (there is paper regarding wheel stifnes, maybe too boring and I really don't remember where to find it).
    I prefer your proposed solution! As those wheels are out of our buget may Fidel be the buyer/tester/reporter! Besides I wouldn't get any benefit of any of those wheels, I'm too slow and to clumsy to even be close to one of those...

El Rivas
    I'm not sure about stiffnes, I guess its probably the sum of several factors. I think that spoke numbers are more important than the rim for stiffness, but I really don't know. Probably Warp will chime in....

"El Whatever"
    Sorry, guys...

I had been having my back whipped all day by my boss. Sometimes you gotta do what you're paid for...

I9's... They have the same 6 pawls mech as the other in their lineup. It works with an offset, so there's only three pawls engaging at the same time, but each pawl has like three teeth.

See pic...

The ratchet has 36 teeth, but with the offset they're 72.

I saw some Fulcrum wheels (Abel had a set on display at his booth at Chiluca)... they're really nice. Quality is pretty good or so it looks and I liked the fact that they have 36pts of engagement out of the box. They have 3 pawls according to Fulcrum's Service Manual.

Stiffness... uh, I don't know. Supposedly the I9's are stiffer because of the thick aluminum spokes... besides of that, I'm not a fan of the low-count of spokes wheels. They're harder to true.

I'm not material for a set of those... I can't imagine it hitting a cast-iron storm drain edge with those... I did that to my wheels two weekends ago.

To me, spokes and rims are disposable items, so I prefer a traditional wheel. I don't want to be married to specific spokes and rims.

My dream wheelset would be now some CK's laced to 5.1's and Sapim CX-Rays. Maybe a Stan's Flow rim.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    For Freeride and Downhill stuff:

Say no to carbon xD

... oh well I know, feather stuff also sells.
    voycaminandoenlacallemirandoalasmuchachas mirandoalasmuchachas hayunasrubiasgraciosasmorenashermosasypreciosas

moaaar shimz
    Look at that KENDA Warp!!!!!!!

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Look at that KENDA Warp!!!!!!!
    You win... I'm going today to the LBS toget a couple of Maxxis Anchor-Rollers!!!
    A tyre that doesn't roll, never can be flatten!!!

I suppose that since they're from carbon fibre and they're for DH/FR, they're not ghey...
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"
    Hey, I've been thinking about these babies... Not that I can buy a set.

But they're nice... The low spoke count matters less, thanks to the carbon rims. Carbon can't be bent, so these wheels will rarely need truing (depending on how good the rim is made from the start).

As long as the tension on the spokes is even, the rim will stay true because carbon can't be distorted by impacts as metals do.

If they can make them resilient enough to take impacts, they have a winner.

They're basically as wide as Mavics XM819's

Arivas is right on something... deeper section rims are stiffer. And these Red's are 25.4mm deep. That's a clear 7mm deeper than a 5.1 and 3mm than my Alex FD28's. That should make a very strong rim.

Mhhh... would they sell them as loose rims with 32mm, I'd be all over them. The non-standard hubs really put me off.
    Check my Site

moaaar shimz
    I win I win!!!!

Warp you are such a crybaby, you know I'm just kidding with this Maxxis thing

"El Whatever"
    I win I win!!!!

Warp you are such a crybaby, you know I'm just kidding with this Maxxis thing
    I'm kidding too, sucko...

It's fun... Let's face it, without our Maxxis/others beyotchslap, this forum would have 75% less posts...

My bike is back from the shop... Wheels straight like an arrow now!
    Check my Site

moaaar shimz
    Yeah, without us the forum would be next to dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Warp

My bike is back from the shop... Wheels straight like an arrow now!
    so please tell me you are riding that sucker tomorrow...

"El Whatever"
    Whatever...

BTW... There's a post on the wheels board where someone from Maxxis is taking feedback. I think the post is about the Ardent.

They're working on making their sizes bigger and actually lighter.

When are you dumping your DHF? I'd like to try it out. I saw some in wire bead... but the casing feels like cardboard.
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    so please tell me you are riding that sucker tomorrow...
    Indeeeeeeeeed!!!
    The Roco/pike combo made me want to ride even more. It's maybe the "New Toy Syndrome"... but it sure feels really good.

Rain or shine.

Actually, it's pretty hot today. Tomorrow could be equal or very cold, but I'm guessing it'll be just as sunny as today.
    Check my Site

Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Indeeeeeeeeed!!!
    The Roco/pike combo made me want to ride even more. It's maybe the "New Toy Syndrome"... but it sure feels really good.

Rain or shine.

Actually, it's pretty hot today. Tomorrow could be equal or very cold, but I'm guessing it'll be just as sunny as today.

Awesome....

tomorrow will be freezing here, but I plan on hooking up with some guys from Spangdahlem Air Base for a ride.. let's see how it goes

moaaar shimz
    Sorry Warp but I am not dumping the DHF!!! And it is pretty worn now anyway..

I am getting myself a DHF in 3C compound very soon

I'll go to the Wheels Board to earn my sponsorship.

[QUOTE=1]Lalo [/QUOTE]

youu meeaan without spaaaaaaaam!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghandalf The Grey Spammer
    [SIZE="2"]One[/SIZE] [SIZE="3"]Spam [/SIZE][SIZE="4"]To[/SIZE] [SIZE="5"]Rule[/SIZE] [SIZE="6"]Them[/SIZE] [SIZE="7"]All[/SIZE]
    ------
    Sram Mars Arms.............................................. ..... SPAM!