Bike to the Bone...

I know where the funny noises came from...

Hi Warp... or anyone remember the noises I told you on the climb to Espiritu Santo the other day? I think they came from the starnut, wingnut or whatever's it's called....

This is the post with the pics.

Starnut is nutz!

Any ideas?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Hi Warp... or anyone remember the noises I told you on the climb to Espiritu Santo the other day? I think they came from the starnut, wingnut or whatever's it's called....

This is the post with the pics.

Starnut is nutz!

Any ideas?
    Yeah... that could be... but then I would advise you to go thru the whole headset thing again. The star nut in the position means your SFN (star flanged nut, proper term) didn't pull the headset bearing enough or that you pull it off when preloading the headset.

If it moved, it was not correctly installed (kind of sideways) and it came off. I'd check my headset just for kicks. Then punch the SFN in with a phillips screwdriver or maybe socket... and simply drive it down with an ILAT (Inertial Leverage Advantage Tool or also known as Hammer).

I'd pull the fork off before. Don't tap the lowers against the floor or you may damage your fork's dropouts.

It's not difficult but turn off the phone, radio and other distracting stuff... you wanna do it right. Slowly and patiently.

I just did it last night to my Phaon. This is what I did.

Take an old steer-tube cap.
    Screw it all the way in into the SFN.
    Now simply tap with a hammer until the cap is flush with the steerer.
    Now, both of flanges will be in. Just drive the thing in with a socket that fits inside the steerer.
    Drive it down with the hammer until the SFN would be around 7-12mm inside the steerer.

Go thru headset adjustment ... and voila!! Your bike will be good to go.

Again... check your headset... I screwed up one for not pressing the headset correctly and next time, screw yourself your stuff instead of letting someone else the pleasure to do it (just ask Tigerdog when he allowed me to touch his fork )
    Check my Site

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Yeah... that could be... but then I would advise you to go thru the whole headset thing again. The star nut in the position means your SFN (star flanged nut, proper term) didn't pull the headset bearing enough or that you pull it off when preloading the headset.

If it moved, it was not correctly installed (kind of sideways) and it came off. I'd check my headset just for kicks. Then punch the SFN in with a phillips screwdriver or maybe socket... and simply drive it down with an ILAT (Inertial Leverage Advantage Tool or also known as Hammer).

I'd pull the fork off before. Don't tap the lowers against the floor or you may damage your fork's dropouts.

It's not difficult but turn off the phone, radio and other distracting stuff... you wanna do it right. Slowly and patiently.

I just did it last night to my Phaon. This is what I did.

Take an old steer-tube cap.
    Screw it all the way in into the SFN.
    Now simply tap with a hammer until the cap is flush with the steerer.
    Now, both of flanges will be in. Just drive the thing in with a socket that fits inside the steerer.
    Drive it down with the hammer until the SFN would be around 7-12mm inside the steerer.

Go thru headset adjustment ... and voila!! Your bike will be good to go.

Again... check your headset... I screwed up one for not pressing the headset correctly and next time, screw yourself your stuff instead of letting someone else the pleasure to do it (just ask Tigerdog when he allowed me to touch his fork )
    What do you check in the headset?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    What do you check in the headset?
    Excesive play in the bearings, any abnormal mark, gouge or scratch, look for small metal chips or metallic gray grease.
    Check my Site