Bike to the Bone...

Easy ride...rode a Blur and Prophet...

Today (sunday) I was invited to go to Chiluca and have the Luna trail. Actually, I chickened out because the Lupe-Reyes marathon wasn't too kind with me (Lupe-Reyes Marathon is the period between December 12 (Virgen de Guadalupe) and january 6th (Dia de Reyes), and has a lot of festivities and parties in between... hard to keep in shape).

I also wanted to have Octavio to ride again, but he said that he had a cold. Anyway, I decided to start 2006 easy, so I could get in shape. I went with 'Bici y MontaƱa', which is handled by Jorge de Avila. This was a group ride targeted to kids and parents. So, I think I really went with an easy ride.

We had 40 guys (dads,moms,kids, and me) in the ride. We did a pretty short loop, without any big climbs (well, maybe for some they were big, it was a pretty begginer ride).

Since this was a begginer ride, most bikes were starter, but Hernan and Adriana brought a Cannondale Prophet Team Replica and a Rush (don't remember the number). They looked cool.

Jorge made some preride advice. Safety tips, trail description (mostly), welcome and presented the other guides (Jorge included me), and had a warm up sesion with Alex.

We headed very slowly to the trails. After about one minute of heading out, one of the guides told on the radio that one of the begginers was going to stay at the trailhead because it was a long time no bike and needed to relearn balance and such.

We took some paved back roads to the trails (only fireroads for this ride). The group extended large because there was a very big gap in condition of the group riders. So the guides (me included) splitted and helped get everybody at their own pace to the woods.

Sometimes it's amazing at how far one has gone up in level, when you see a short climb (recently paved) that you have no problem taking in the middle ring (I'm not a very fast rider anyway) and see guys that are just staring riding getting out of their bikes and walking those sections. I don't say this to brag, just an observation.

After about 2 or 3 miles in the woods, a mother unfortunately feel and hurt herself (I think that it wasn't nothing, just temporarily pain , because whe already was looked at, I didn't wait to see how it ended, I guess I'll learn tomorrow ). So Jorge called the van and took her out. She was behind us when it happened, so some of us continued for another mile, rested a bit, and then we returned to our cars.

Even with that misfortune, I think it was a good ride. But I can't brag that I did awesome riding, it was pretty easy. Let's see what I do for next week. There's the Moabito ride with Xinte.... but I'm still afraid of it... maybe I'm a whuzz...

In the woods, I traded bikes with Jorge, and rode a Santa Cruz Blur. I found out that it was plusher than my bike, kinda more detached from the trail ride, and I liked it, but I prefered the more down to earth of my bike. It's too bad I can't buy lots and lots of bike, because it would have made a good second bike.

I didn't really like the Prophet. While it was a good ride, it felt sluggish handling compared to the Moto Lite or Blur. Maybe I'm just getting spoiled, probably before I got the Moto Lite I would have been awed by the Prophet, I don't know. Maybe I would need more tough terrain to compare it favorably to my Stumpjumper FSR, or probably I'm just used to my bikes and see other bikes as weird, I don't know.

Bike to the Bone...
    Pic 1- Getting to the starting area (it was a cold morning for Mexico, -2 degree Celcius)
    Pic 2- Jorge settip up his loaner bikes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rzozaya1969; 01-08-2006 at 07:41 PM.

Bike to the Bone...
    7-yet more riders!
    8-See them go....

Bike to the Bone...
    9-After a climb...
    10-A pond in a rest spot

Bike to the Bone...
    3-Jorge and Santiago... they're Jorge's kids, and probably were bored hearing that same speech for the nth time
    4-Jorge giving the pre-ride speech..

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    9-After a climb...
    10-A pond in a rest spot
    11-Regrouping in the road..
    12-We saw two eagles in the distance...

Bike to the Bone...
    5-Backroad to the woods...
    6-Here come some riders to the woods....

Bike to the Bone...
    13-Well, an action shot of me...

"El Whatever"
    Cool!!

Nice way to start the year... as it should, riding!!

I think we'll do the Moabito but somehow will should have a bail-out schedule, as not all of us are in good shape. ROCKY_RENE, Tigerdog and Adrian are coming out of illness and I haven't ridden in quite some time.

But I'm eager to ride whatever the direction it would be.

Cool you had the chance to reassure your nice bike choice! You simply can't go wrong with a Titus.
    Check my Site

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    ..I think we'll do the Moabito but somehow will should have a bail-out schedule, as not all of us are in good shape. ROCKY_RENE, Tigerdog and Adrian are coming out of illness and I haven't ridden in quite some time....
    I'm not going to be able to go to Moabito, I have a compromise on saturday night, so I don't know how I'm going to be able to wake up on sunday . Let's do something next weekend!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Smile Thanks!

Thanks for sharing the photos and experience of your ride. Much appreciated!

Now with 3 more inches!
    Yeah, it's cold out there in the mornings now!

Where was the ride?

I'm jealous. Didn't leave the house all weekend.

I'm going to do Moabito, but I'm sure it's going to hurt! Anyone know where to buy knee warmers?

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog

Where was the ride?

I'm going to do Moabito, but I'm sure it's going to hurt! Anyone know where to buy knee warmers?
    Sorry, forgot to say where the ride was. It was in Ocoyoacac, which is a valley near Lerma, on the Mexico-Toluca highway.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog

Where was the ride?

Is that you in your avatar with moustache???
    Those are the aviator sunglasses you took on our last ride, aren't they??

Man, what a cold does to some...
    Check my Site