Thread: Decisions..

Me hates pinchflat

Decisions..

Hi
    As you might already know, I am going to buy a bike in which to start freeriding. I've been looking around ebay and the classfields to get an idea of how much I will have to spend and to see if I find any good deals. I had decided on getting a hardtail, since all fs I found were over 800. However, I found this recently and I was wondering if it is a good deal:
    Specialized Big Hit 2003 with:
    the frame
    exr fork and mz comp
    dith witch front rim
    seat and seat post
    stock bb
    bars ant stem ,truvativ
    8' rotor adapter front and rear
    single speed adapter for cog
    and a riged xtr for a chain tensioner.
    for 425 bucks

What I am wondering is if it is a good price from what im getting, considering it is an old frame, and the suspension design is different from the current big hits. Should I consider buying it, or is it better to buy something which is complete, like this P.2 ?
    Thanks!

1. The Big Hit when it had all the parts
    2. and 3. (for warp, dont pay any attention to them unless you are looking for a suntour xc60 fork )
    Attached Images Attached Images

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    Hi
    As you might already know, I am going to buy a bike in which to start freeriding. I've been looking around ebay and the classfields to get an idea of how much I will have to spend and to see if I find any good deals. I had decided on getting a hardtail, since all fs I found were over 800. However, I found this recently and I was wondering if it is a good deal:
    Specialized Big Hit 2003 with:
    the frame
    exr fork and mz comp
    dith witch front rim
    seat and seat post
    stock bb
    bars ant stem ,truvativ
    8' rotor adapter front and rear
    single speed adapter for cog
    and a riged xtr for a chain tensioner.
    for 425 bucks

What I am wondering is if it is a good price from what im getting, considering it is an old frame, and the suspension design is different from the current big hits. Should I consider buying it, or is it better to buy something which is complete, like this P.2 ?
    Thanks!

1. The Big Hit when it had all the parts
    2. and 3. (for warp, dont pay any attention to them unless you are looking for a suntour xc60 fork )

I think you'll be better off with the P series. The Big Hit is nice... but you'll have to drop money on a real fork for FR.

One point that hasn't been brought up.... As any beginner (now as a FR beginner, not a Trail one) you'll be making mistakes and breaking stuff. The HT has less breakable things and living under your parents roof, you'll have not much money to replace/upgrade things.

I'd say stick to a strong hardtail and start from there. Besides, quality suspension is not at that pricepoint. I'm talking from experience. You'll want to upgrade suspension parts quickly and that's expensive.

In the end, it's up to you... but as an old guy I'm (and hitting trails since I was your age), I'd choose the hardtail until I develop my skills enough for the same discipline and then upgrade to a better ride.

The HT will do good for either trail and jump duties. The FS will do good for average and light FR, but will be too heavy (especially related to your weight) for airborne missions and will suck BIG TIME going uphill on a trail.

I'm superseding a Warp frame soon... But it's not your size and it's not what you need. Looks can be deceiving.

NOTE: Shipping a bike or frame can get VERY expensive. Expect to spend no less than 50 bucks on shipping inside the US. 2-Day Air is WAY expensive. So plan ahead and shop with time.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

p.2

Yup, wait, save a lil’more money and get a pristine P.2. Hard Tails aren’t dead; actually they can be a lot of fun. I’ve seen some people going back to HT, especially for FR/DJing; besides, you’ll get a lot better on your riding skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

Now with 3 more inches!

Ditto

Yeah, I'd look at a P2 or similar. Get a nice jump/urban HT frame with a DJ or similar fork.