"El Whatever"

Barranca de Chinipas

So, after a bit more than 6mo, I finally got to ride again.

Took my trusty Switchblade which required minimal set-up and reassembly after the travel, and it worked like pretty good, save for a creak that was driving me crazy and it turned out to be the bolts that hold the large ring with the bashguard and the front brake needing bed in after I cleaned the rotors with alcohol.

My idea was to go from our camp to Chinipas, a little village in the Chihuahua Sierra and it takes its name from the Chinipas Canyon which is the second deepest in the Copper Canyon area, second to the Urique Canyon.

I discovered with horror that what I always though it was a flat (but with up and downs) terrain was in reality a false flat!! So all the way down to Chinipas it was downhill

It was an easy, lazy ride to be honest. Only thing difficult about it was that I didn't really knew the area and that I had not ridden in over 6mo.

So, I just got to a village called Agua Salada and turned back as I wasn't sure what to expect on the way back. I had felt a few steeps down, but the soil was tricky with loose dust over hardpack and gravel... lots of loose gravel.

All the way was on a doubletrack, which is the only way to get to Chinipas and it's VERY narrow at some points with awesome cliffs on one side. There's also three tunnels built like 2 centuries ago... maybe more as Chinipas was founded sometime in the 17th century.

I got back to the camp after a good 2hrs of thrashing only to be publicly embarrassed while I got the worst cramps I've ever had in front of all people in the camp when trying to climb my way to my dorm.

Who cares?? I'll challenge anyone to take the bike to Agua Salada and back if they start making fun of me.

Here a few pics... they're ubercrappy as the camera was borrowed (mine died in an alcohol related incident back in Veracruz) and the settings were all off... they look just like Blackagness' pics or worst. The place is beautiful beyond imagination.

The shortest of the 3 tunnels...

Yours truly for the camera...

Scary to drive here... the bike is not so bad, but you'd rather not miss a line...

Somewhere on the way to Agua Salada...

Just past Agua Salada...

The gorgeous Chinipas Canyon... part of it, actually...

Back to my cage...

How was everybody's Sunday??
    Check my Site

moaaar shimz
    It was... not so good. We hiked to cardos and on our way down through Amanzalocos Ritopc had a flat and we spent like 30 minutes trying to fix it. The we did a shuttle and went down Amanzalocos again, only to find a jerk wanna be downhiller that made me crash in a drop and then Ritopc almost got stabbed with his handlebar.

I feel very rare when I don't climb pedaling, it feels like I didn't ride at all the whole day, I am definately not a dedicated downhiller..... I kinda like climbing.

Warp: Whats up with that red E13 bash? It doesn't belong on that bike!

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    It was... not so good. We hiked to cardos and on our way down through Amanzalocos Ritopc had a flat and we spent like 30 minutes trying to fix it. The we did a shuttle and went down Amanzalocos again, only to find a jerk wanna be downhiller that made me crash in a drop and then Ritopc almost got stabbed with his handlebar.
    Is Rito still crashing as often??

Bummer it was not so good, but any day on the saddle is a good day.

I feel very rare when I don't climb pedaling, it feels like I didn't ride at all the whole day, I am definately not a dedicated downhiller..... I kinda like climbing.
    Same here... I even think I'm a better technical climber than I am a technical descender... I suck at both anyways.

Warp: Whats up with that red E13 bash? It doesn't belong on that bike!
    Oh, it was a gift... And now that I'm running a 38t ring, it kinda makes sense. Felt good... I'm still getting used to the larger gap between 22t and 38t... or is it a 36t?? I can't remember, I'll have to count them...
    Check my Site

moaaar shimz
    You have a medium cage X9 rear derailleur? Because if you do, 36t up front is the maximum capacity (unless you have a 11-32-or-less cassette ).

"El Whatever"
    You have a medium cage X9 rear derailleur? Because if you do, 36t up front is the maximum capacity (unless you have a 11-32-or-less cassette ).
    I have a 32t cassette... not crutches here, boy.

Now I remember... the big ring is 36t and so does the BG.
    Check my Site

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    as I posted on the other thread,
    great that you are back on the bike, Warp!

that area looks awesome...next stage is exploration with singletrack discovery

I spend my Sunday learning how to ski..I'm slow, but it is fun..

Bike to the Bone...
    I'm running middle cage and 42 up front (although I almost never use the big ring), and have a 34 cassette...

I hope time does not prove me wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    I'm running middle cage and 42 up front (although I almost never use the big ring), and have a 34 cassette...

I hope time does not prove me wrong....

no worries...with a correct chain length all this would mean is that you can drop a chain in the last gears towards the small-small combo....nothing dramatic...
    When to use a Long Cage vs Short Cage Derailleur?

I also run medium cages on my 2x9 and 3x9

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    no worries...with a correct chain length all this would mean is that you can drop a chain in the last gears towards the small-small combo....nothing dramatic...
    When to use a Long Cage vs Short Cage Derailleur?

I also run medium cages on my 2x9 and 3x9
    Yup.

One correction, Tacu asked if I was running a mid-cage X-9, I told yes. But that's not correct.. I'm running a X.7 and those are only long cage, so it can take larger gear jumps.
    Check my Site

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I spend my Sunday learning how to ski..I'm slow, but it is fun..
    I also spent Sunday learning how to ski...... moguls, ando machacado de todo el cuerpo.
    Suerte con el aprendizaje.

Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje
    I also spent Sunday learning how to ski...... moguls, ando machacado de todo el cuerpo.
    Suerte con el aprendizaje.

gracias, doccoraje....ahi voy lento, pero disfrutando mucho