MHC
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

What pressures are you running in your forks?

I have SC32 on my Mount Vision XC bike & DUC32 on my SC Chameleon & Cove G Spot, I found the SC32 great straight out of the box but the DUC32s seem to have either a harsh ride or to much dive under braking - what pressures do other users have in their spring/rebound chambers?
    I weigh 15 stone kitted up.

mtbr member
    that's 15x14 = 210 lbs for the non-UK readers amongst us ...

there's a few threads around here where various peeps have given the tuning details for their DUC32, including damper pressures and so too for the 'heavier end' of the rider scale ... any of the threads mit DUC in the title might help.

unfortunately i can't be of much more use, i'm at the other end of the scale ...

ragetty

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I weigh 220 lbs before any riding gear.
    I run my DUC32 at 90psi. I also have the Ethan tune in it. I believe he set up the internal shim stack for max compression damping and I think he increased the oil viscosity and maybe the volume too. I think it also has the heavy negative spring in it. I know 90psi sounds soft but love the way it rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I weigh 200 with gear (at least I did b4 winter) and I think 90 psi sounds nice and soft. I have the heavy negative in mine and ride it around 95-100 psi though. I had kevin do the internal shims though.

mtbr member

210lb tune tip!

Make sure to have the max oil volume in the air chamber, this really helps with "brake dive".
    The DUC32 can handle up to 18-20cc of oil in the air chamber. you can inject this straight thru the Schrader valve, with just the core removed and a syringe.
    For the bigger riders i tend to lessen the compression shim stack because i will need to run heavier oil to get rebound in check. Set-up:
    Damper:
    - 10 or 15wt oil
    - 100 psi charge in damper
    - lite shim arrangement: 21mm, 12mm, 16mm, piston flat side facing up. (21mm is always on piston face) Or a custom shim stack of more but thinner shims. stock are .15mm thick shims, getting .10mm shims, you can use more but are more supple as they can flex easier. Note: Two .10mm shims the same diameter are more flexible than one .15mm shim...
    Shims can usually be found at good Moto shops or online, from places like MX-tech.com
    Maverick shims need to have a 8mm i.d. and a max of 21mm o.d., using a 20mm will cover the ports in the piston (which is necessary to do) but make it even more supple feel.
    Air:
    - 15-18cc oil in chamber
    - stock 5Nm neg spring

Give that a try!
    Maverick Suspension Inc.
    Servicing all Suspension
    Mavericksuspension.com

mtbr member
    I followed Ethan's tips, as above, when I rebuilt my Brown Duc some time ago, including the use of 15wt oil. It's still a very active and plush fork, but is much better under my 240+lbs than it could be with only high pressures. The fork's easy to work on...go for it.