mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. What I'm doing wrong, DUC32 steering to tight or to loose

I have a DUC32 (Trek O.E.M.) on my Fisher and no matter how much I try I can not get the headset to work right the thing is never the way is sopose too, the headset is a "Integrated" type, I wish I can just mount a Chris king and be done with it or at least make one less variable.

Ps: I work on bikes for 20years and I try every trick I know from taking the forks out and making sure the race is seated right, to measuring with a dial indicator so see is the "Steer tube" is bend, etc..

In any case I need help

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have never found these to be problematic so it is a challenge to give you advice. How are you tightening the nut and what headset do you actually have?

mtbr member
    Make sure your stack height measurements are correct and the steerer shaft does not extend above the steerer shaft nut or that is not too short.

See step 5 in fork manual

http://www.maverickbike.com/cms_images/file_7.pdf

Try adjusting as per step 8

Also try a longer steerer shaft bolt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by voob View Post
    Make sure your stack height measurements are correct and the steerer shaft does not extend above the steerer shaft nut or that is not too short.

See step 5 in fork manual

http://www.maverickbike.com/cms_images/file_7.pdf

Try adjusting as per step 8

Also try a longer steerer shaft bolt.
    Yeap I use this instructions to install the fork (I have a laptop on my bench at the shop) but I'm going to redo it just in case I did something wrong.

Ps: you guys are ultra helpful and I thanks you for that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty View Post
    I have never found these to be problematic so it is a challenge to give you advice.
    Well thanks for trying anyway is very much appreciated.

How are you tightening the nut
    with a "Shock spanner" but I also try the 4mm allen like they suggest on the manual.

what headset do you actually have?
    Cane creek "40" the O.E.M. headset for that frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm glad I ask, the "Steer tube" rod was protruding from the main Nut a 1/64' of a inch so I ground it down with a file and everything is working a little better (not perfect but acceptable for sure)

Thanks again for the help

mtbr member
    The top of the steerer shaft("Steer tube" rod) should be below the top of the steerer shaft nut (main Nut). You will need to take some more of the top of the steerer shaft to keep the headset tight.
    You can also try a thin headset spacer to raise the steerer shaft nut.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by voob View Post
    The top of the steerer shaft("Steer tube" rod) should be below the top of the steerer shaft nut (main Nut). You will need to take some more of the top of the steerer shaft to keep the headset tight.
    You can also try a thin headset spacer to raise the steerer shaft nut.
    Yes I got that, now the shaft is below the main nut by about 1/64" on a inch (was 1/32" taller/total before), silly me I did not catch that detail before.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It can be far below the top of the nut without it being a problem (I assume you were just tired of filing though )

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The crown thickness is nearly an 1/8 inch where the steerer bolt goes through the crown on the ones I have. I have left 1/16th inch extend above the steerer nut with no problems. It can't extend above the crown or the stem will not seat properly on the crown.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Make sure to loosen the center stem "bolt" and the 2 crown/stanchion bolts before trying to "adjust" the headset. Make sure the steerer nut is tightened clockwise, (are you sure the steerer nut is fully supporting the bearing/race?)(could there be a CC headset shim out of place?) Wiggle the bars up & down to make sure the crown is fully seated, tighten the center bolt, wiggle again and then tighten the crown/stanchion bolts.

Installing a King headset on a DUC will cause more problems, even with the new King upper base plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by banks View Post
    Make sure to loosen the center stem "bolt" and the 2 crown/stanchion bolts before trying to "adjust" the headset. Make sure the steerer nut is tightened clockwise, (are you sure the steerer nut is fully supporting the bearing/race?)(could there be a CC headset shim out of place?) Wiggle the bars up & down to make sure the crown is fully seated, tighten the center bolt, wiggle again and then tighten the crown/stanchion bolts.

Installing a King headset on a DUC will cause more problems, even with the new King upper base plate.
    I had a king headset on my old bike for ages with no ill effects, but it wasn't an integrated one. Is something wrong with that version?