mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Unhappy with SC32 performance

Hi all,
    I have DUC32s on my ML8 and love them, very plush with an almost bottomless feel, but I'm not happy with the SC32s on my Whyte 19 Trail. I bough them used so am unsure how they are setup inside, but if I drop the pressure down to get some compliance, they dive very easily under braking.

I weigh 170lbs and these are on my hardtail so won't see too much crazy action, but compared with the RS Revelation 426s I had on before, they just don't feel great.

Can I get them to feel like my DUC32s but with a bit less travel?

Cheers

Chris

mtbr member
    the insides are exactly the same as the DUC32, but with just less travel ...

check the air in the damper unit, it sounds like a classic case of too little pressure ... happens to my DUC32 over the winter

ragetty

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks Ragetty.

So in principle, they should be able to feel exactly the same as the DUCs but with a bit less stiffness and travel? Will have a play around at the weekend and check the pressure in the damper.

Cheers

Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Previous Owner

I too bought my SC32 used and HATED it at first. Massive fork dive, no small bump compliance, no rebound... it seemed like only the travel adjust worked. It wasn't until I stripped it down did I find out why - the previous owner was 130 lbs and the setup was completely wrong for me. He installed the light negative spring, he removed the 15mm compression shim from the stack, and had inverted the damper piston head.

I would recommend you open up both sides. Check which size negative spring is in the air chamber in the left leg, for your weight you should have the 5nM (I think there is a color code but someone more in the know will have to tell you). Remove and open up the damper in the left leg and see what shims are on the stack and check the orientation of the pison head. This would be a good time to do some experimenting if you are so inclined. There are several threads in this forum on shim stack configurations, and I have found that just switching out the stock 21mm which is .15mm thick for two 21mm shims that are .10mm thick completely changes how compliant the fork is to small bumps. And of course replace the oil with a high quality brand, I use a mix of Red Line yellow and red oil (5wt and 10wt) to get about a 7wt in the damper. My SC32 rides like a dream.

If you aren't aware of the on-line manuals, just about everything you need to know can be found at http://www.maverickbike.com/main/do/Manual_PDFs and of course in this forum.

Enjoy

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the info - what tools do I need to strip the damper down and where is the best place to get shims from?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Fairly basic tools: a 10mm socket (a deep socket is best) to remove the schrader valve unit found in the top of the left leg and damper rod bolt located under the rebound/travel adjust knobs on the right leg. I then use a medium size adjustable wrench to remove the damper cartridge from the right stanchion, and also to open it and the top of the air tube in the left stanchion. To alter the shim stack you need a 12mm end wrench or a small adjustable wrench. That's pretty much it. There is a very thorough service manual available on the Maverick website with easy step-by-step instructions and pictures.

And make sure you use a torque wrench to put it all back together!!!