mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Uh OH! Derailleur Help

So I noticed my chain rubbing the bottom of the seat stay on my 2004 ML8 build. This is when I'm in the small chain ring up front and a mid rear gear (not cross geared, but close).

I put on an old derailleur I had laying around after busting my former one, and I'm wondering if it is the wrong size. Does this frame require a long cage der? Would a long cage der. solve this problem? You think I would remember what der I originally had, but I don't.

This may seem obvious to you techy guys, but I have forgotten a lot of crap over the years and apparently I can hardly match components to bikes anymore. Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    seat stay or chain stay?

i can't see how a longer der cage would affect seat stay rub, so i assume you mean chain stay ...

chain stay rub up front when on the small cog is common with mavericks - at least on mine.

yes, a longer rear der cage will work, so will also making sure that the chain length is set to give you maximum clearance (i.e. that you make best use of the rear der cage swing).

at the end of the day though, nothing beats simply wrapping up the chain stay to protect it.

Schipperkes are cool.
    If you are not sitting on the bike, almost all Mavericks will have some type of slack chain rub.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Maybe the solution is the Bionicon C guide
    c.guide

mtbr member
    the c-guide works fine on my hardtail, and probably on all other bikes where the chain is not so near (vertically) to the chain stay.

on the small chainring on the mavericks the chain seems to be far too close, so that there is nowhere to mount the c-guide so that it can stop chainslap. one solution is perhaps to shorten the mount for the c-guide so that it doesn't hang so far away from the chain stay.

if anyone has got this to work, i'm all ears ...