Oly
    Sep 2008

Tires for the Durance

Hi all!
    Any suggestions on tire choice for the Durance?
    The Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3s (tubeless) that came on my M50 spec bike
    where great with respect to grip on all types of terrain, uphill or down, dry or wet
    with the downside of having increased rolling resistance and wearing out
    very quickly (i guess it's a tradeoff).
    The ride is AM.
    Cheers

Schipperkes are cool.
    Tires depend on you, your riding style and the conditions you ride in.
    Yes the 'cudas wear out in the rear fast, try a Specialized Enduro.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    I found the Barracudas great in the dry but flat scary on wet roots and rocks especially off camber ones. I am running a Conti Mountain King in the rear and a Race King SS in the front and find the combo works great for single track riding. Sever down hill might want more tire in the front but the Race Kings grab wet roots and rocks as well as anything I have tired.

I run Fire XC Pros on my other Maverick and even though they are 2.2's they seem to grab on just about everything pretty well they just don't have the volume I prefer. The upside is you can find them cheap online....

mtbr member
    see also here and here for further comments - largely for the ml8, but most of the tyres suggested should fit the durance too ...

you *can not* use a conti rubber queen 2.4". i currently run two RQ 2.2" USTs as my allround combo and i'm very impressed - although they are not fast tyres on asphalt (but who cares?). even better, the new RQ 2.2" tubed for 2010 now has conti's black chilli and should be an ideal weight/volume/grip compromise.

you also *can not* use an advantage or an ardent in 2.4" from maxxis. the 2.25"s work fine, i have the advantage front and ardent rear on another wheel set - although the ardent, while rolling/cornering/drifting well, has too little straight line traction/braking for serious AM.

a schwalbe big betty 2.4" will work in a durance (but is a touch too wide for the 7/5?) and is a very good tyre for dry & rocky conditions, with excellent cornering and braking - and rolls surprisingly well too!!

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 12-01-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Oly
    Sep 2008
    Thanx for the feedback guys!
    It will keep me my tire choice busy for the season! ;-)

simple
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 worked great for me, so have the Racing Ralphs and Fat Alberts

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Durance with DUC:
    -F: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 conventional run toobless with Stan's.
    -R: Specialized Eskar Control 2bliss 2.3 with Stan's.

Been a great combination wet or dry for rocks and some roots. Really impressed with how well the Eskar grabs on off-camber -- I think the angled side knobs are the key. Have tried Nevegal UST 2.35 in back of Durance and didn't fit. Hated the 2.1 UST as it felt like riding on a superball, even in the low 20s psi.

cyco biker
    Ah, the tire question. Often cheaper tires wear better than the pricey one cuz they use a denser rubber compound. But their casings suck & they don't perform very well. No tire will be good for everything. Oh and, don't take this personally, but in the equation one must consider how adroit there riding skills are. I know a big guy that loves the WTB Wolverine for everything. His middle name is Spiderman tho.

On my mountain bike, I do as little road riding as possible. Roads'll eat up any tire. Here in Vermont I ride primarily soft or firm dirt, often rooty; could be loamy or even muddy like this past summer. (Summers like these are why God invented cross & road bikes.) Though not a lot, there are some trails around here that have round & angular rocks. Kitted out I weigh 150#, run Stan's with 24# in my rear tire & 21# front. Unless racing, I stay away from the race tires since they wear out much quicker.

I like the CrossMark 2.25 (Maxxis) for the rear BUT I use a pair of wire cutters to cut off all the round knobs on the outer side part of the tire. This greatly improves the hook up, hard cornering capabilities of this tire & it's ability to shed packed goop. Reasonably dry to moderately wet conditions, I like the 2.4 WTB Mutano Raptor for the front. These 2 tire have good rolling characteristics yet hook up where needed. Early season wetness I'll put a set of Conti 2.2 Mountain King's on & worry less about rolling resistance & more about staying upright. Really wet (unless I'm racing - then it's a 1.9 mud tire) I'm on other bikes.

This time of year I get excited to be able to switch over to my Nokian Extreme (rear) & home made studs (front).
    My hobby is keeping wood alive

Members who have read this thread: 0