mtbr member
    Aug 2009

tire pressures??

hello fellas
    So I have pretty much got my ML8 together after powdercoating and am just dialing it in a bit, so bit of a silly question but what tire pressures are good for different conditons? I have kenda nevegal dual compound 2.35 with tubes on there ...............also are they directional ??

cheers

adrian

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    How much do you weigh?
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

Oly
    Sep 2008
    Hi! Got a brand new Durance lately and was also wondering about tire pressure..
    My previous bike was a hard tail..
    I now run Hutchinson Barracudas 2.3 tubeless and i weigh 80 kilos
    thanx!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    hey data
    I weigh about 170 with my gear ??..............do you guys run different pressures for trails and the street also??

thanks man

mtbr member
    ... that depends on rider weight, terrain conditions, dry/wet trails/rocks/roots - and of course on the tyre!!

ragetty

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by cloakrider
    hey data
    I weigh about 170 with my gear ??..............do you guys run different pressures for trails and the street also??

thanks man
    Well, I weigh around 260 pounds (118kilos) geared up, so my tire pressures will not be the same as you cloakrider (or olympos). I also run tubeless cloakrider, so I can get away with a few psi less and not have to worry about pinch flats. With that being said, I typically run 32-36 psi in my front Nevegal 2.35. I typically run about 4psi more in the 2.35 rear (not a Nevegal though) since a larger percentage of my weight is on the rear tire.

If I know I am going to be riding in an area with rough terrain (with alot of opportunity for hard impacts) i.e.-sharp edged rocks, or a trail that offers a higher average speed, I will run a little more air pressure. So I might run 36psi in the front if the trail is going to be rough to protect the rim.

If the trail isn't as rough, I will run a little less air pressure to increase traction. So for smoother trails I may run 32psi in the front.

What width (or type) rims are you guys using?

Olympos- You and cloakrider weigh approximately the same, but you should be able to run 2-3psi less as you are running tubeless. Are you running any sealant in the tires?
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

Oly
    Sep 2008
    Hey Data!
    Thanx for all the info!
    I use Mavic XM 819 UST rims and yes i have installed Stan's NoTubes tire sealant..

mtbr member
    I was somewhat close to Data at 225 lbs although I am down to 200lbs... When I was 225LBS I still ran 30 - 32 PSI in the front and 34 - 38 PSI in the rear. I find if I run more I end up bouncing off roots and rocks and do not feel in control. I am running Barracuda 2.35 Air Lite tires w/Tubes on Mavic 318 Disc rims on the ML8..

I also have a set of DT Swiss 4.2 D's I run both Race King SS 2.2's and Fire XC Pro 2.2's on a Maverick and get away with the same pressures and even a bit less on the RK's due nto the volume of the casing.

Used to run tubeless Mountian King 2.4's and I could drop a few psi as well. The tubeless went when I sold my Epiphany to buy the ML8

mtbr member
    May 2009
    260lbs fully loaded on a L ML8, 2.35 barracuda UST tires on 823 rims, 30 front 35 rear is perfect. Ride a lot of east coast rocks and root trails.

Switching to 2.4 Conti Rubber Queen in front and 2.4 Mountain King (more like a 2.2 tire) in rear also UST. Am playing with pressures now. Ideal seem to be about the same.

Members who have read this thread: 0