Trying to grow a mustache

Tips on getting better mileage out of lower monolink bearings?...

Any body got any pointers? My lower monolink bearings expire quicker than they should... It's a ML7.5 if that matters...

Thanks
    Vintage-Retro-Pragmatist

mtbr member
    I have the same issue, and i don't even weigh that much. part of the (my) problem seems to be the exposure (dirt ingress).

there's a tip here somewhere about installing double row bearings in the lower link, entailing appropriate shortening of the spacer. EDIT: see this thread, be sure to read all posts ...

i'm having my durance repainted over the next week or two, so for the rebuild i'm going to be trying this modification - has anyone successfully made this mod and can vouch for it's effectiveness?

are needle roller bearings an option?

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 07-20-2011 at 02:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The original bearings on my ML7 were Enduro, and they gunked up after about a year. I installed SKF bearings (#6001) packed with extra grease and they last MUUUUCCCHHH longer. I am better about the maintance, too - making sure to clean the outer surfaces whenever I am working around the monolink and keeping a thin film of grease on the outside metal contact points.

With that said, here in the San Francisco Bay Area I am only dealing with dust 85% of the year . When riding in winter I clean the monolink area/front derailleur after every ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g_henrys View Post
    The original bearings on my ML7 were Enduro, and they gunked up after about a year. I installed SKF bearings (#6001) packed with extra grease and they last MUUUUCCCHHH longer. I am better about the maintance, too - making sure to clean the outer surfaces whenever I am working around the monolink and keeping a thin film of grease on the outside metal contact points.

With that said, here in the San Francisco Bay Area I am only dealing with dust 85% of the year . When riding in winter I clean the monolink area/front derailleur after every ride.
    You are right Henry, here near Paris it's more 65% of the year .... rain and mud and with SKF the average duration is 4 years before changing the bearings.
    Maverick ML7.2 / SC32
    Maverick ML7.5
    Maverick Durance / Duc32
    Maverick ML8 / BOS Devile

French Maverick Breeder

Trying to grow a mustache
    Well I just had some Enduro's put in and see how well they hold up. Maybe that mod'll be up next. Looks fun and if it's endorsed by Ethan...
    Bike feels smooth but makes me think how much nicer my recent Durango trip would've been if I had some fresh bearings...
    Vintage-Retro-Pragmatist

mtbr member
    Where did you guys get your SKF bearings?
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I ordered mine through USA Bearings and Belts awhile back. Make sure you get the versions with two shields, they sell them open (no dust covers) which of course ain't such a good idea.