A Man Of The Truth

New question here. Thoughts on ML-8 Replacement

I've had my ML-8 since 2008. And I've been riding it hard since then. Real hard. The bike is still going strong, but bike frames take lots of abuse and that could change at any moment. So I'm trying to come up with a backup plan. If something goes terribly wrong with my frame, what other 6.5 - 7" frames are in production? Bikes that hopefully have similar qualities to the ML-8, like light weight, very good at climbing, good at drops.

I know if my frame cracked tomorrow, there are still new Maverick frames out there. But for the sake of this thread, let's assume Maverick is out of the question. What other bikes are out there that could make a future former ML-8 rider happy?

I briefly looked at the Specialized Enduro Evo and the Trek Remedy. Aside from being coil, which I like, I'm not really digging either frame. Plus even though I like the feel of coil, I'd probably go air again anyway. Plushness can't beat infinite adjustability.

mtbr member
    I have gone through the same thought process, in the same boat as you. I was going to suggest an Enduro comp? Others seem to be the Mojo HD, firebird, etc. One thing I am finding difficult is that most of the "trailbikes" are spec'd now with varying forks, mostly centered around 32/34 stanchions which, IMO, won't hold a candle to a properly functioning DUC32. On most bikes it seems like once you get into the 36 stanchion territory you then are buying a jump bike.

It seems like the enduro is the best mix of everything and you can spec it with a burly (36 fox or 35 lyric) fork.

A Man Of The Truth
    I'm actually running a rockshox lyric on my ML8. I was never a fan of the Maverick fork. I'm actually only interested in a frame when it comes down to it. I'm a "replace whatever is broken" kind of biker.

mtbr member
    what are you using the ml8 for exactly? i assume with the lyric, it's not long travel AM touring ...

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty View Post
    what are you using the ml8 for exactly? i assume with the lyric, it's not long travel AM touring ...
    Hmmm a little bit of everything I guess. Mostly technical singletrack riding with as many stunts and drops as I can find. Some downhilling. Some urban riding which is actually long distance street riding, whilst seeking out urban "natural" stunts.

mtbr member
    effectively, nowadays there are next to no 'bad' frame makers, so you could just go for something you like the look of and that gives you the same geo (relatively short wheelbase, relatively steep ha for the travel - although modern 160/170mm travel bikes are tending to be a lot flatter).

nocolai will make a frame to your specs. a mk.1 nomad should give you a similar geo. the trek slash is perhaps an option if you don't mind the hugely asymmetric stays, and the ha is f l a t. or something with less travel but designed for 'stunts' (slopestyle) ...

well before i got my ml8, i used to regularly cruise the used bike forums for inspiration. in the end i decided there was little i liked better than the ml8, both in terms of 'look' and suiting my needs. having said that, if the right nomad or intense uzzi had shown up, i might have been tempted ...

some of the more boutique manufacturers also often have good deals on discontinued models and ex-demos.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What did you mean by "I'd probably go air again anyway" ? The ML8 shock has both air and spring coil.

A Man Of The Truth
    I'd call that an air shock more than a coil shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I will agree with you on that. If you let all the air out the sping coil doesn't seem to provide much force. However, I have removed the spring coil and had to have quite a bit higher air pressure. I put the spring back in. I guess I liked the ride better with the spring coil in. It has been a while, my have to try it again.

mtbr member
    I would say Nomad then. It would be pretty easy to find a replacement frame since you are running a lyric already.

mtbr member
    You will not be able to find a 6" bike to replace the climbing ability of the ML8. On the downhill side there quite a few bikes that will do the job better such as the Ibis HD or Nomad.
    I bought an Ibis mojo SL to replace My ML8 and or Durance. But I am still ridding my ML8 most of the time. I have since bought 3 more ML8 frames (selling for good prices if you can find them)to ensure that my ML8 will not die.
    I bought Mike West's old orange ML8 frame which was very well used with blown rear shock and rough monolink bearings. I rebuilt the rear shock and re-greased the bearings and the frame is as good as new without any play at the pivot bushings. All bikes that I have ridden have some play at the pivots within a year of hard ridding! I will be ridding my ML8 for quite a few years.
    The only negative(?) is the steep (for current style of geometry) geometry for downhill stability, but if you are not ridding the Duc 32 you can alter the front fork length and stem/bar for better position. If I had to get anew bike right now I would pick the Ibis HD for 26" 650b use and the SC tallboy LT for 29". IMO other then wheel size the only advantages(?)/differences of these bikes are the geometry (slacker head tube/tapered headtube/rear axle/ ability to use angleset hdset).
    Anyways all high end frames are very good but the ML8, considering its age and ease of shock servicing it still holding its own against these new bikes.
    Last edited by voob; 02-22-2013 at 05:55 AM.

mtbr member
    So, not that i want yo to move away form the ML8 as it's still a great frame, but...
    I like to play with bikes and luckily i can! Go IBIS HD with a X-Fusion Vengeance...
    It climbs almost as good as the ML8 and we all know that's a daunting task! I must say that it really does climb as well, if not better at times. The descending is spot on, a little different and takes time to get the different position feel between the two. But that will happen whenever you get a new bike. The DW link and its "anti-squat" are a slightly odd feeling till your used to it.
    One way to over come this is not to use the platform on the shock. I'm not a huge fan of Fox, in general ok stuff, but i have not tried the newer CTD on this particular frame and it may be fine. I run mine with the Marzocchi ROCO air. With its adjustable bottom out air setting the bike can sag with out bottoming...
    The frame is plenty stiff and about 1/2 pound to 3/4 pound lighter than the ML8 depending on what year!
    The biggest difference you'll find is the out of the saddle smoothness and landings. Take a jump into rubble and feel nothing!
    The ML8 might have gotten to that point had we been able to update, but you know the story there...!
    I've also had lots of miles on a SC TB LTc, damn fun bike, hoping the Intense Spider Comp is even better (should be here this week and hope to have the SC TBLTc on the sales table soon!) The intense has a shorter TT and shorter chain stays, both should meet my fitment better and better handling on the back end, not as "boat" like!
    The DW linkage is better if not superior to the VPP. Less pedal feedback, less chain growth which equates to less pedal induced "bob" and needs a much lower compression shock allowing to have better small bump compliance. The reason to stick with the VPP on the 29er for me, is the lack of a light longer travel 29er frames (that fit).
    Another frame to consider is the Pivot Mach 5.7 carbon. But i think that frame might be to light for its intended purpose. The Firebird is probably nice but same if not heavier than the ML8.
    As i ride more bikes of varying suspension designs, i can honestly say the Maverick still fits right in it terms of suspension. The biggest and best change is the current geometry, slack, long center to front, short chainstays and still can climb!
    Anywho, thats my .02, there are some really cool bikes out there and they ALL ride well, but i think Mr. Weagle in all his marketing prowess does have a good design! All said and done though a well placed single pivot bike works well too!!
    E-

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hey Ethan

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan F View Post
    So, not that i want yo to move away form the ML8 as it's still a great frame, but...
    I like to play with bikes and luckily i can! Go IBIS HD with a X-Fusion Vengeance...
    It climbs almost as good as the ML8 and we all know that's a daunting task! I must say that it really does climb as well, if not better at times. The descending is spot on, a little different and takes time to get the different position feel between the two. But that will happen whenever you get a new bike. The DW link and its "anti-squat" are a slightly odd feeling till your used to it.
    One way to over come this is not to use the platform on the shock. I'm not a huge fan of Fox, in general ok stuff, but i have not tried the newer CTD on this particular frame and it may be fine. I run mine with the Marzocchi ROCO air. With its adjustable bottom out air setting the bike can sag with out bottoming...
    The frame is plenty stiff and about 1/2 pound to 3/4 pound lighter than the ML8 depending on what year!
    The biggest difference you'll find is the out of the saddle smoothness and landings. Take a jump into rubble and feel nothing!
    The ML8 might have gotten to that point had we been able to update, but you know the story there...!
    I've also had lots of miles on a SC TB LTc, damn fun bike, hoping the Intense Spider Comp is even better (should be here this week and hope to have the SC TBLTc on the sales table soon!) The intense has a shorter TT and shorter chain stays, both should meet my fitment better and better handling on the back end, not as "boat" like!
    The DW linkage is better if not superior to the VPP. Less pedal feedback, less chain growth which equates to less pedal induced "bob" and needs a much lower compression shock allowing to have better small bump compliance. The reason to stick with the VPP on the 29er for me, is the lack of a light longer travel 29er frames (that fit).
    Another frame to consider is the Pivot Mach 5.7 carbon. But i think that frame might be to light for its intended purpose. The Firebird is probably nice but same if not heavier than the ML8.
    As i ride more bikes of varying suspension designs, i can honestly say the Maverick still fits right in it terms of suspension. The biggest and best change is the current geometry, slack, long center to front, short chainstays and still can climb!
    Anywho, thats my .02, there are some really cool bikes out there and they ALL ride well, but i think Mr. Weagle in all his marketing prowess does have a good design! All said and done though a well placed single pivot bike works well too!!
    E-
    Hi Ethan, BTW, thanks for your help over the years with my ML7.5...which is still going relatively strong (I think). However, curiosity may kill this cat. I am thinking of a Turner Flux that I might be able to acquire at good price. I know it's no ML8 equivalent, but how about it for the milder trails I ride? The closest trail (Sansom Park in Ft Worth, TX) is a bad / good combo of very steep abrupt climbs, slightly rocky / chunky sections, and more vertical relief than you would think in Texas. Sections would reward a hardtail, whille other sections could dish out as much as an ML8 would really want. The ML7.5 climbs better than many, but still takes extra body movement / and is not so stand-on-the-pedals-friendly. Young studs ride this on 29er hardtails, so part of this question is whether 26er DW is still a biplane, but more so, the question is whether shorter-travel DW has any advantage over almost-as-short travel ML-7.5. I also ride rougher trails (but with less steep climbs, but rougher bigger DH) and smoother trails (where a 29er hardtail would be all you'd need). In a way, I'm admitting 2 bikes might be better than one, but sight unseen, I''m curious if the DW Flux is a direct replacement for the 7.5.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    Hmmm a little bit of everything I guess. Mostly technical singletrack riding with as many stunts and drops as I can find. Some downhilling. Some urban riding which is actually long distance street riding, whilst seeking out urban "natural" stunts.
    I use my Ml8 for exactly the same riding and it rules! Fox float fork, not expensive, but does the job, even rocking 9mm quick release still. after 20 years of riding, bike handling skills mean more than a ton of travel, big stanchions, and adjustability. Set it once an go I say.

Now, that being said, if $ weren't an option, I bet I'd have better components. Or, maybe not, I'll never know.

"We're only bike terrorists, 5:30, second Friday, Berkley BART" -Jeff Ott, fifteen

A Man Of The Truth
    Hey Ethan
    Are you talking about this fella here:
    Mojo HD | Bikes | Ibis Cycles US

Mojo HD 160mm ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    Hey Ethan
    Are you talking about this fella here:
    Mojo HD | Bikes | Ibis Cycles US

Mojo HD 160mm ?
    Yep, that be the one!!

On the Turner, i don't know! Is it the DW link or the older four bar? I think the shorter travel DW may be the ticket with the newer generation shocks. Using the somewhat closed position on the shock makes the bike less compliant and better flat, less bumpy terrain. Open it up and it no doubt it will more compliant than the ML7/5 on any out of the saddle positions. I'm still a Maverick fan, but with the better geometry and soft as butta on the descents it make it a difficult choice!

A Man Of The Truth
    I just found this thread again, hahaha. Funny, as Ethan already knows, because my front triangle DID end up developing a nice big weld crack this past spring (14). And I wanted to get a mojo HD but alas, i had JUST put in an offer on a house that was accepted. So I ended up buying a new old stock ML8 after all. This one was that great green color, not the do do brown of my old ML8. So I should be good for another 4 years at least. The Mojo's look nice and I hear very good things bout the way they ride. But my god, they cost SO much! I mean, they make brand new Mavericks from when Maverick was still around, look cheap!