mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Tall guys riding XXL Mavericks?

Hey. So I'm tall (6'5" with a 35" inseam). And considering an ML8 as a super all-purpose, solid-descending replacement to my 2005 Enduro. I have a Knolly V-Tach as my dedicated 'big bike' for scary Shore riding and Whistler.

The Enduro has been a great bike but a bit more ...something... would be nice to widen its performance range. Most of the similar bikes are either too pedally or a little too heavy on more xc-type rides.

The ML8 really appeals to me as I love boutiquey bikes but there are none around here (Vancouver). My biggest concern is the super laid-back seat tube. It looks even slacker than my V-Tach's, which is already a bit too slack (because if I extend my seatpost to proper leg entension height the saddle is way too far back over the rear wheel). On my V-Tach I can live with that since the seat is at half-mast most of the time. But the ML8 would be at full extension most of the time...

Anyone with a 35"+ inseam riding a Maverick with good results? Are my concerns just imaginary?
    Anyone riding a Maverick in Vancouver/Squamish/Whistler/Pemberton?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Check with Serenity Now (http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=6734244). He's got an XXL Durance (25.51 TT). ML-8 only sized up to XL (24.72" TT). Durance has a 'much' steeper seat tube at 72.5 deg vs. 71 deg on the ML-8. I ride an XL Durance with a Speedball R and the saddle (Speed V) nealy all of the way aft and have had no problems with rails, clamps, collar, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    ssorgs - how tall are you and what is your inseam? I am 6'3 with a 34" inseam (pants) - XL Durance or XXL?

Thansk!
    It's this simple - we need the earth but the earth doesn't need us

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam for pants. Meant to mention that I've got a 90mm stem. According to my prefs, I'd recommend an XXL with a 70mm stem. You should be fine with standover and the Durance is so damn light and maneuverable/flickable you won't really be on a *big* bike. Having come off a Med 7/5 (thought I was sold a used L...), I'd rather be too big than too small. Too small means real limitations, like steep climbing and knee clearance; whereas too big is more a matter of refining your riding style. There are plenty who post here that run their setback seatposts backwards to make the T-T fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for the update. I still like the look of the ML8 better. For the riding we have around here (Vancouver) the 24.72 sounds far more manageable - I currently have a bike with a 25.5" tt and I'm anxious to go back to something shorter.

Hmm. I think the ML8 seat tube might be too slack for me

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you are worried about being too far over the back wheel how about using a layback seatpost in a reverse position to bring your weight forwards?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey, Im tall too. 6'4" 36 in inseam. Long legs medium length torso. Just got a ML-8 XL and been riding it for 3 weeks. Had to go with a Thompson Elite 410mm straight seatpost and have my seat about 3/4 of the way forward in the adjustment on the rails. It has enough angle adjustment to get your seat level too. Love the bike setup with a 65mm stem. Still climbs great. Even with the non adjustable Fox Float. It would be even better with the TALAS or the DUC in climbing mode. The slack seat angle is great since when you lower the seat a little bit for the descent you are also getting it forward and out of your way, but its still high enough to use it for short pedally sections. I could'nt use the Joplin/Speedball seatpost due to seatpost insertion length. Even thought the markings on the Joplin/Speedball seatpost said it had enough insertion it wasnt enough for the frame. I need to do some more checking with other brands of adjustable seatposts to see if they have a longer overall length than the Joplin.

Insanity later
    Indeed, I'm riding an XXL Durance (I'm 6'5" with a 37" inseam)

One of the nice things about going from an XL to XXL was that Maverick steepened up the S/T, on the XXL so I didn't have the issue you mention. I always loved Mavericks descending but really struggled on stepp single track climbs on my old Mav. That improved a lot with the XXL. Only downside, the bike is huge!! I think the wheelbase is a little longer than my old XL, so tight switchies can be a challenge, but it's all in the technique anyway. Just have to perfect those nose wheelies:-)

Oh yeah, I do use a Speedball too, and it has enough insertion. Didn't on the old XL though.

Don't know as much about the ML8 I'm sorry.

Members who have read this thread: 0