mtbr member
    May 2006

Talk to me about the Maverick Comp

I'm getting back into MTB after 10 years off.

The wife doesn't want me to spend a lot of $$$, so I am trying to stay less than $350 (suckx). However, I see online the other day at performancebike.com that they have the 06 Maverick Comp going for $309 out the door!

I need to know honestly what type of issues I could expect if I got this bike. Example: I know that the GT's I've tried all like to ghost shift on me (I hate it). What type of pros and cons could I expect if I picked up this supposed steal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It was what I wanted to spend and I‘m happy, I think I got more bang for the $$ and it might hold true with the Maverick!
    I recently bought a “Warrior Comp” through Performance and I was very pleased with there tech service and delivery time.

Have you checked product reviews at this site and then comparing other bikes in this price range and including components?

Not sure about your price range.
    Although I didn’t know they existed when I bought “Ibex bikes” appear to be an outstanding value and might be worth some attention!
    Wish I could be more help.
    At any rate good luck with your purchase!

mtbr member
    May 2006

Newly Purchased Maverick Comp

I just recently purchased a '06 Maverick Comp bike from rscycle.com which I believe is the same bike you are looking for at performancebike.com. The reason I went with the bike from rscycle over performancebike was mainly because rscycle offers free shipping on all their bikes (and at the time of purchase also had a new bike package that came with jersey,shorts,tools,tires,etc...but that deal is over now). Right now the bike is 329.00 at rscycle.com I believe.

I have only had the bike for 2 weeks now and everything seems to be great so far...The only problems that I noticed right away were:
    -The bike does not like to shift into 3rd gear easily (this might be a derailleur issue though, maybe its not set correctly).
    -The bikes disc brakes seem to have a "break in" period even if you have them assembled and tightened correctly (this might be normal as I am fairly new to mountain biking).

We took the bike to a local bike shop and they said it was a really good bike for the price and had really good components. Right now I mainly ride on streets and light offroad (usually 10-15 mile rides), but this weekend some friends and I am taking offroad to some big trails, so if you would like I can give you a more in-depth performance eval. after this weekend.

By the way, Mine is the Black 17.5" bike and so far I'm very pleased with my purchase. I think the total was 335.00 for the bike shipped, which for what you get, seems to be a great deal in my opinion.

Let me know if you have specific questions about the bike.

Nathan

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nate,
    I'd LOVE to hear how your bike reacts to big off road challenges.

I'd be doing very similar riding, really. My commute to work is 7.5 miles each way. In the mornings I'd take the roads to work, and on the way home I'd take the trails! The trail route is a little longer, so I won't take it in the morning as I have to get to work early.

I'll be doing some singletrack on the side, but nothing too fancy or huge. I'm leaning towards the silver, myself.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Horax,

I'll post some of the results after we finish the ride Saturday. The ride we're going on is a fairly technical ride (well thats what the bike shop told us) so it should be a good test for the new bike. The kind riding we do sounds very very similar so I'll just be as honest as I can about what stuff I experienced on the ride. I've been riding the bike on small 10-15 mile rides, mostly open road, so far and its been a blast to ride on those, so I'll give you an update on how it handles the offroad soon!

The guys that I'm riding with will be riding a Marin bike and a Specialized bike of similar quality and components, so we'll have some bikes to compare the performance with. I thought about getting the silver, but could not find a good picture of it, so I just went with the matte black, which looks really good though.

Nathan

Brackish
    Ghost shifting is a function not of a manufacturer but of one of two factors: loose, stretched or frayed cables or a bent component in the drive train, usually the derailler hanger. A decent bike shop should be able to fix those issues for you on any bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Maverick Comp Update

SO...this weekend was the first weekend that we took our new bikes offroad. We road a fairly technical single path trail with lots of rocks, turns, jumps, etc... The bike held up really well though. I'm not the most aggressive rider but it was able to accomplish everything I wanted to do plus some.

Strength's:
    - Shocks seemed to handle bumps and jumps very well.
    - Seat was very comfortable to land on (haha)
    - Easy shifting in tight spots
    - Pedals are metal with a hard plastic coating so that when you fall, they don't completely rip your legs up

Weakness's :
    - Brakes could have been a little better at gripping (sometimes on really steep drop, I felt like I wanted to put my foot down to help out some)

Like I mentioned before, I am a fairly new, inexperienced rider, who is just getting into riding trails. I was very pleased with my bike though. Really, anything I wanted to do it allowed me to, so I was pleased with the bike and would recommend the bike to anyone.

Hope that helps.

Nathan

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I got my Maverick last night! I ordered the silver/red, but it showed up in....

SILVER AND BLUE!!! It looks sweet! I'll get pix up here soon.

I rode it home, and it is pretty sweet for the $$$. The brakes hopefully will warm up soon and grip better. Other than that, I had no problems with it. Maybe an upgrade in the crank a few years down the road, but no time soon. I"m pleased with the purchase!

I was shocked at how light the bike is! I thought it would be totally heavy like the old Iron Horses used to be, but that's not the case.

Also, I left the store last night, and as soon as I got on my bike, the heavens opened up and rain started pouring down like crazy! My first ride was a baptism in rain from heaven...surrounded by lighting and thunder!

Needless to say, my bike is dirty already!!! I love it!!!