Thread: Talas vs DUC32

mtbr member

Talas vs DUC32

hi all.

have been pondering whether to swap my DUC32 over to a Talas. From a functionality perspective I'm OK with the differences between the two... but one thing I havent been able to lock down is the difference in weight.

For the DUC32, does anyone know the weight of the fork with crown?

Anyone have weight for the stem (assume 90mm 25.4)

Anyone have a weight for the front hub?

Thanks heaps.

mtbr member
    my DUCs, with all that's necessary for mounting it on the frame (short crown, shaft cut for durance in M and for giant reign in S, fixing collar on top of shaft, bolt), weigh almost exactly 1800g.

the net weight of the headset (i.e. minus unnecessary top cap and bolt) is 55g.

the 75/85/95mm short adjustable 31.8mm stem weighs 215g - ethan at Maverick once mentioned that the short 25.4mm stem is 50g lighter.

and finally you have the difference between the hubs in the front wheel - the maverick hub is 250g.

i guess you mean the talas 32? which one and in which frame?

let me know what you find out, i've been wondering the same too ...

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 08-20-2010 at 04:36 AM.

mtbr member
    thanks for that.

i have a large durance. am assuming the weight between the larger crown, shaft is minimal... 50g or so. Means I am looking at approx 1850g for the fork, around 170g for the stem and around 250g for the hub.

The Talas I am looking at is around the 1750g mark, stem is around 120g, and front hub is approx 150g. So I'd be looking at close to 250g weight saving. Not bad but nothing that is going to be significantly noticeable.

Anyone gone from a DUC32 to a Talas (or a Revelation) and have any thoughts either way?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    ... the Talas I am looking at is around the 1750g mark ...
    is that with QR (65g) or 15/20mm axle (maybe about the same)?

and then there are the top cap and optional spacers for the headset (ok, more or less negliable) ... what about an optional remote for the fork?

i reckon the overall difference is much less than 250g when you get down to it - the DUC was way ahead of its time in terms of weight for 150mm of travel ...

but there are other benefits of the switch, such as a much wider choice of ready built wheel sets, assorted (much shorter) stems - and i guess there's no better time to try and sell a DUC (to me ... )

ragetty

mtbr member
    ideally i'd love to get the world cup revelation which is around the 1550g mark but it only comes in a tapered steerer tube.

the other alternative is to put a lefty on there... anyone know if this has been done before?

mtbr member
    funny, someone asked that same question re. an ML7/x here (in germany) just last week

here's the link you need (see post #35) - to my mind not really an option ...

ragetty
    Last edited by ragetty; 08-21-2010 at 07:17 AM.

mtbr member
    the lefty doesnt look all that great on the durance frame... will give that a miss.

went and got myself a 2010 talas 32 (140mm). so far so good - love the compression dampening. love the lock out. not as plush as the duc but i knew that was going to be the case. weight was almost the same in the end. i did forget to include the quick release which brought it back to almost square.