mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Stem Size with Fox Fork

Hola,

I'm happy to say I'm the new owner of a used ML8 frame. Got it for a good price, figure I'd build it up slowly and enjoy what so many others have said is a great bike.

It's a size large frame and I'm a 6'0 rider with long-a** legs. I purchased an 2011 Fox Float RL 140 to go with the frame: couldn't afford the 150mm, 140mm should do fine.

My question for ya'll is what length and rise of stem do you think is a good start to use with this frame and fork combo? Maverick's website suggests a 90mm stem for the DUC32 is good for mist riders, with a 35mm rise. That seems like a huge rise! But since the DUC isn't your traditional fork, maybe a rise of that degree is necessary, but is this case for a traditional single crown fork? Any thoughts from the experts on this forum? Thanks in advance! I'll probably post some more questions as I run across quirks while assembling the bike. I've enjoyed reading the posts on here.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Get your knee over pedal first and then go from there. IF you have long femurs, the saddle will be slid back and you may get away with a shorter stem. The stem legnth is about your arms after you have your saddle set.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    you may well be aware of this already, but i would question the logic of putting a 140mm fork on the (probably much more capable) ml8 frame.

for starters your best HA is going to be about the same as with the DUC32 (a relatively steep 68 to 68.5 degrees). at 120 or 100mm your HA is going to be somewhat steeper. for more enduro-like activities you may want something that gives you a slacker HA.

and, although i must admit to never having ridden the fox float, the 140mm front versus 165mm rear does seem to me to be a bit of a mismatch.

but of course, it depends on what you're planning to ride with the bike ...

ragetty

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty
    you may well be aware of this already, but i would question the logic of putting a 140mm fork on the (probably much more capable) ml8 frame.
    the 140mm front versus 165mm rear does seem to me to be a bit of a mismatch.
    ragetty

hill climbing
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty

for starters your best HA is going to be about the same as with the DUC32 (a relatively steep 68 to 68.5 degrees). at 120 or 100mm your HA is going to be somewhat steeper. for more enduro-like activities you may want something that gives you a slacker HA.

and, although i must admit to never having ridden the fox float, the 140mm front versus 165mm rear does seem to me to be a bit of a mismatch.

ragetty
    I wondered about that too. 165mm and 140 mm is only 1 inch travel difference; will that be a very noticeable difference when in the saddle?

mtbr member
    i think true ml8 owners need to answer that question (i have a durance).

the answer to your last question depends on what you are planning on riding with the bike - if 'hill climbing', then i would imagine not, but if 'hill descending' then probably all the more so the faster you ride and the rougher the terrain.

an inch more or less travel either side of 140mm certainly makes a lot of difference in terms of the capabilities of the corresponding forks.

but as i said, ml8 owner's should comment, not i ...

ragetty

mtbr member
    I have an ML8 with the DUC and this combination works very well. Sometimes, I do wish the DUC had a little more travel, as the 165mm rear seems to have a little more reserve/bottomless feel compared to the 150mm front. BUT, this setup makes the ML8 an absolutely brilliant climbing machine for anything steep/super steep, technical, rocky/ledges.

As for the 140mm Fox....I would expect the front/rear travel mismatch to be more pronounced.

More importantly, try to find out the A-C for your Fox fork. I think the A-C of the DUC is 520mm and I would definitely not want it to be any shorter on the ML8.

Hope this helps.